Firefox 8 is out...

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Firefox 8 is out...

Postby TheMewster » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:05 pm

And I upgraded! Er... it upgraded itself, but I would have gotten around to doing it anyway. What browser do you guys use! God bless and GO FIREFOX!!!

http://funnypictures.klum.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Funny-Anime-Mozilla-Firefox-Pictures-300x240.jpg
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby shooraijin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:20 pm

TenFourFox, which is a Firefox rebuild for Power Macs.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:30 pm

Ff 8.0
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby TheMewster » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:22 pm

TenFourFox. Interesting. Well too bad I'm on Windows XP (not really I like it a lot).
TheMewster

Postby goldenspines » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Oh yeah, I updated to this a few days back. There's not a huge difference from FF7 besides little things.

Personally, I'm looking forward to FF9. ;)
goldenspines

Postby ABlipinTime » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:39 am

I'm sticking with my not-so-outdated 3 or 4.something. I hear the newer versions are getting slower. How's the experience for all of you?
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:37 pm

I did have some horrible lag some times with a few versions, (it started with 6 I think) but they seem to be fixing that as we go forward.
MomentOfInertia

Postby Kaligraphic » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:02 pm

I use Opera.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Valkaiser » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:51 pm

+1 for Opera.
I sometimes use Chrome as well.

I used to run Firefox also (I like to jump around, check out how the competition is shaping up), but I don't bother anymore because it runs horribly on the low-end systems I play with.
Valkaiser

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:51 am

Opera also.

Firefox seems to be quite wasteful with major version numbers these days... (maybe they're trying to catch up to Opera?)
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:01 am

I think the idea was more to imitate Chrome's release methodology than anything else. Sadly, the use of version numbers to convey useful information seems to be declining in favor of ever-increasing marketing-driven versioning. We'll probably be downloading Firefox 4000 before long.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby shooraijin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:48 pm

But Chrome has that problem also. Chrome 15 was ridiculously thin on the ground.

Time-driven releases may get features out to users faster, but features have to bake first, and I think Mozilla is seeing the pitfalls now.

That said, I could never go back to Fx3.6.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Slater » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:51 am

Firefox's insanely-fast releases is both good and bad. Good in that they're making their product better. Bad, as I'm finding, because people don't feel like updating this often, and the applications I'm developing need to account for a rapidly-expanding list of browser versions (general rule for my company: IE8+, Safari/Chromium, and all Firefox 3.6+). When testing a full matrix of workflows for an application can take more than a couple man-days, having to repeat the tests 6 times can be a ginormous time-suck (and unfortunately it has been necessary: we still find all kinds of fascinating quirks about some of our web technologies like Wicket, jQuery, and angular.js, usually when testing different versions of IE and somewhat less frequently for Firefox).

IMHO, Mozilla would be somewhat wise to perform bigger, less-frequent version releases than all this rapid-fire development cycle tomfoolery. But, whatever keeps the "customer" happy... :)
Slater

Postby armeck » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:36 am

I use opera mostly. after that i use firefox. but i use all major browsers occasionally because i'm learning web design and that's something i have to do lol
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby TheMewster » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:52 am

I really don't notice whether it's slower or not. It may be, I don't know. On my grandmother's computer with internet explorer (which is bad for you) so I can't check.
TheMewster

Postby ADXC » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:54 am

Chrome is my favorite browser, but yeah it isn't perfect. XDD Like once a month it'll crash for no reason(I can bring the window back up in a few secs though), but other than that I don't have too many more problems.
ADXC

Postby shooraijin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:45 am

IMHO, Mozilla would be somewhat wise to perform bigger, less-frequent version releases than all this rapid-fire development cycle tomfoolery.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Enterprise/Firefox/ExtendedSupport:Proposal

shooraijin

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Mozilla, congrats on the 6 major version numbers consumed by Firefox in 2011. (BTW 9.0 lasted 1 day before 9.0.1 was released.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Firefox#Mozilla_Firefox_timeline
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:06 pm

I won't let my Firefox update.... I like this older version much, much more.
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby shooraijin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:08 am

If you're still using 3.6, you'll still get security fixes through the end of April, after which you will either need to change browsers or update to the current Firefox.

If you're still using (a version less than 9.0.1), I'd urge you to reconsider because your version won't get security updates at all. While Mozilla won't make it easy for you to find, you could consider getting the Firefox ESR when it comes out. This will be based on Fx10 and will remain stable for at least 6-9 months. Then you'd have to deal with one update, but everything would be stable after that (but remember that stability also means non-critical bugs wouldn't be fixed either).

shooraijin

Postby TheMewster » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:18 am

Good thing I finally figured out how to upgrade it on my Ubuntu.
TheMewster

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:59 pm

shooraijin (post: 1527395) wrote:If you're still using 3.6, you'll still get security fixes through the end of April, after which you will either need to change browsers or update to the current Firefox.

I know I should update soon-ish.... But I just like my current firefox so much... Most of the set ups of the other browsers have only the thin bar at the top... and I'm not really a fan. ]make[/I] a browser but... I still like my old firefox.

I'm not great with change. :P
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:10 pm

I've 9.0.1 and its set to look like 3.6 all the different bars and everything.

Edit: and I think its more stable in the chat too.
MomentOfInertia

Postby shooraijin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:24 am

A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1527504) wrote:I know I should update soon-ish.... But I just like my current firefox so much... Most of the set ups of the other browsers have only the thin bar at the top... and I'm not really a fan. ]make[/I] a browser but... I still like my old firefox.

I'm not great with change. :P

Firefox has had less of the "REMOVE ALL BROWSER INTERFACE FOR GREAT JUSTICE" insanity than Chrome or other minimalist browsers and I don't think you'll find the interface that different, but there are skins you can add and if you really need the bottom bar back (I don't miss it personally), you can go to View > Toolbars > Add-on Bar and put it back.

shooraijin

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:58 am

Hey shoo, I was wondering, for older OS's that can't upgrade browsers to FF 8 (or some of the other versions) are there any updated browsers for legacy operating systems?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:29 am

shooraijin (post: 1527581) wrote:Firefox has had less of the "REMOVE ALL BROWSER INTERFACE FOR GREAT JUSTICE" insanity than Chrome or other minimalist browsers and I don't think you'll find the interface that different, but there are skins you can add and if you really need the bottom bar back (I don't miss it personally), you can go to View > Toolbars > Add-on Bar and put it back.

Yeah. That's one of the reasons I stick with Firefox over Chrome... The other being that Chrome still doesn't have VideoDownloadHelper, which beats stuff like youtubedownloader and what have you for versatility...

I'm not a minimalist when it comes to my computer. My Desktop absolutely drives my wife insane, there are so many icons. I like having things available with as few clicks as possible, and that's why I normally prefer older implementations to newer ones... I despise the way Word 2007 and up looks, for instance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby shooraijin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:53 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1527593) wrote:Hey shoo, I was wondering, for older OS's that can't upgrade browsers to FF 8 (or some of the other versions) are there any updated browsers for legacy operating systems?

Mozilla has a page on that subject:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Unsupported_OSes

But, in general, it's a hard deal. You can run Fx3.6 on Windows 98 using some kernel hacks, but I don't know how easily those work for Fx9 (I imagine so because those still work on Windows 2000, but Mozilla is trying to cut Win2K and WinXP SP1/2 loose). There are some options for Power Macs. Short of that, I don't know of many good choices. :(

shooraijin

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:30 pm

shooraijin (post: 1527581) wrote:Firefox has had less of the "REMOVE ALL BROWSER INTERFACE FOR GREAT JUSTICE" insanity than Chrome or other minimalist browsers and I don't think you'll find the interface that different, but there are skins you can add and if you really need the bottom bar back (I don't miss it personally), you can go to View > Toolbars > Add-on Bar and put it back.

I did not know that! :D Thanks!!!! :)
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:08 pm

shooraijin (post: 1527702) wrote:Mozilla has a page on that subject:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Unsupported_OSes

But, in general, it's a hard deal. You can run Fx3.6 on Windows 98 using some kernel hacks, but I don't know how easily those work for Fx9 (I imagine so because those still work on Windows 2000, but Mozilla is trying to cut Win2K and WinXP SP1/2 loose). There are some options for Power Macs. Short of that, I don't know of many good choices. :(

I was actually looking for Mac OS 10.3.9 on a Powerbook G4.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:54 am

Nothing's available specifically for 10.3.9. TenFourFox, which I use, needs 10.4.11 (the PB G4 should be able to run that).

The only things I can think of for 10.3.9 would be Camino 1.6 or maybe an old version of SeaMonkey, or you could run Classilla under Classic if you don't mind OS 9.

shooraijin

Return to Computing and Links