What was your first computer?

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

What was your first computer?

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:27 am

I was wondering what computers everyone's used. I doubt most of you here still even use the one that started you off anymore.
Anyway, mine was the Commodore Vic20. We didn't even have the World Wide Web back in those days, I think. I was the only one who used it, and that was mostly to play games.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Xeno » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:39 am

Hewlett Packard Pavillion 2X00 series desktop running Windows ME. The computer is in a scrap yard somewhere now. It served its purpose, but ugh was ME terrible.

The reason for it being so "new" despite my age is my parents didn't believe computers and the Internet were going to amount to much of anything until the time they got that system out of necessity. Funnily enough they now have 5 computers and an iPad at their house.
Xeno

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:39 am

Our first family computer was a 486 25MHz (or 33MHz?) with a maths co-processor! It has good ol' Windows 3.1 and DOS 5 (later 6.22).
My first computer was a 386 25MHz with Win 3.1 and DOS 6 and I think that one had the 40MB hard disk.
We had the old Ataris at school (good gaming machines), and some friends had Commodore 64s and what-not.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Hiryu » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:59 am

It was a Compaq that had the new Windows 98. (That BSOD a few times)
Hiryu

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:10 am

I had an e-machine... until the mother board fried.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Kaligraphic » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Commodore C64. Good times.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:32 pm

I honestly have no idea what the first computer in my house was. XD My dad had a job as a writer when I was growing up, and he got to keep all of his old computers when the company he worked for got him a new one. I know I've used a Compaq or two, an e-Machine, a Hewlett-Packard, and at least one Gateway. I'm just not sure what order they were in. XD We did have Windows 96, though. XD

As for the first computer I've ever personally owned, it was a Mac Mini running on OS 10.4 (Tiger). XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Kaligraphic » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Windows 96? I hate to break this to you, but... that might not have been legit.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Neane » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Yes, I am with Kaligraphic. That might not have been legit.

You mean a Windows 95 or a Window 98?

As for me, it was an old Windows 95 Computer. I don't remember it because I crashed it when I was 6 years old. I completely destroyed the computer by overloading the Graphics card. One of my favorite games at the time did not work so I went to the Control Panel and changed the Graphics to a level they could not handle. I just found out that the problem would have been fixed just by restarting the computer. But I did not know that when I was 6 years old.
And then we got an e-Machine Computer [It came with Windows ME] (I used it from when I was 7 to when I was 14 years old). It still works and when nephews and niece use it all the time
Neane

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:43 pm

The first computer I used was at my High School, a DEC PDP 11/03, in 1978.

The first computer I owned was one of the original Apple Macintoshes, the 128K version (no hard disk).
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:20 pm

IBN 5100...

Well, not really. Mine was an old Dell or Toshiba, I believe. I just remember playing DOS games and that I wasn't aloud to touch it. >_<
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Dante » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:52 pm

Apple 2E. Of course, I couldn't do much on it. It was far more useful when I got my hands on a word processor style computer later on, the GUI was all basically text based. I got my first windows machine in 1998, a Compaq. It was top-of-the line, with a... 250 MGhz Processor, 128mb of ram and a 7 GB hard-drive!

That compares to my computer today, an Acer Aspire, with an intel Core-2 Quad, Q8200, 6 GB of RAM and a 640 GB hard-drive... and it's approaching the 3-year mark I believe. Given that I haven't installed VS 2010 yet, and hence had easy access to multi-core capabilities in my code, this hasn't made a major difference... so I think I'm going to wait another couple of years before switching this one out. I want at least a 10 core processor before I consider grabbing a new computer, and then I want to see all 10 of them running on my code simultaneously. VRRROOM!
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Valkaiser » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:58 pm

My first personal computer was an Atari 520ST.
It came with a ton of games.
I still have it around here somewhere...
Valkaiser

Postby shooraijin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:52 pm

My first was a Tomy Tutor. It was a knockoff of the TI 99/4A, of all things. More people than I previously believed had this as their first computer too.

After about a year, my folks decided to get us a "real" computer and got a Commodore 64. I refused to use it until I was forced to, and of course, I adored it.

I still have the original Tomy Tutor and it still works. It's fun to play games on it now and then, but it was much harder to do "useful things" with than the C64.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby seaglass27 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:19 pm

The greatest system of all time, Windows 98.
seaglass27

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:50 pm

Well, the family computer was a Gateway, with a Windows 95 OS.

However, the first computer I personally owned is the one I'm using at the moment, an Asus 2700 with Windows Vista OS. 5 years and still going (gonna be scrap next year, though, since it probably isn't going to live through another crash- it's survived 2 already).
Atria35

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Gosh, my dad had always built them himself. When I was little, I remember using dos to get to my Kid Pix.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Roberts » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:37 am

Roberts

Postby blkmage » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:02 am

An IBM Personal System/2. Early memories include not playing Civilization correctly, not playing Might and Magic correctly, and not playing Prince of Persia correctly. Sometime in the following 5-10 years, I got the hang of the first two.
blkmage

Postby Technomancer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:38 am

My family had a TI 99/4A. We kept it for a good long while, before upgrading to a Myarc 9640. It was compatible with the TI, but had a much broader array of applications available, and some kind of DOS knockoff (QDOS IIRC). On the other hand, it was a much less robust system than the TI overall. Eventually, we ended up getting a 386 when it came out.

These days I'm running a Sandy Bridge machine.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby shooraijin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Hey, a Myarc! I didn't think anyone remembered those. A friend of mine had one for his PEB.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Technomancer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:05 pm

Yup, we had the PEB as well. As a platform, the Myarc wasn't altogether bad; it was actually a nice extension of the TI's capabilities. The main problem was that the hardware was flaky as hell. Software-wise though, you could work with it well enough, as long as you were content not to do anything too sophisticated (what with a lack of any extensive developer pool).

Correction: it ran MDOS, rather than QDOS.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to Computing and Links