Internet troubles

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Internet troubles

Postby TheMewster » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:16 pm

OK. I'm on Windows XP, I think Home Edition. I have two users. One is my mom's user. This one has internet working/can access the internet. The other one is mine. This one gives me an error. In Safari it's about not being able to connect, I think, can't remember. It's a DNS error in Internet Explorer.

AS you can see, I tested my user in both browsers, as well as my mom's user (I use Safari, I've seen mom use IE.) The internet is WiFi. What do I do? God bless and HELP!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Xeno » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:54 am

Which Service Pack do you have installed (I'm going to assume you're on SP3)? Does your user profile have admin permissions to edit settings? If so, have you checked the internet settings? I don't know how your specific network is configured, but on your user profile if you can I'd go to

Control Panel > Network Connections > Right-click on your Wifi Connection > Properties > Networking Tab > Click the Protocol Adaptor [it'll probably say something along the lines of "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)] > Properties

and check and see if the stuff that has been entered there matches against what is on the other user account that is working and make sure it's the same. If it's already matching I'd check and see if there is some kind of program you have installed that is blocking access to your profile.
Xeno

Return to Computing and Links