Life With Leon

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Life With Leon

Postby Sheenar » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 am

If anyone is interested in receiving updates while I'm away at Team Training, I have created a new blog to chronicle my new partnership with my successor service dog Leon:

Life With Leon
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:32 pm

New blog post! Things had a pretty darn crazy beginning --the first 24 hours were pretty rough due to issues with my host home (bed bugs, anyone?) and having to relocate temporarily (hopefully) to sleeping on the floor in the trainer's office at CPL. It's not too bad, actually --much better than bed bugs. Ew.

Leon is a sweetheart, though he is testing me a bit to see if I'll let him get away with stuff (since I'm a new person and not his trainer.)

More in my journal entry. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:48 pm

First public outing with the dogs!

New blog post! Things are going well! I will be staying here in the office (and sleeping on the air mattress in the trainer's office) for the remainder of team training --which is fine with me --I don't have to travel to get here! :)

We had our first outing in public with our dogs --and were joined by other CPL teams in the area as well as the trainers and dogs in training --in all, we had 20 dogs and about 40 people! There are 14 dog/person teams in my team training class. (Yes, they had called ahead and made reservations for a time of day when the restaurant was not busy.)

Sheenar

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:56 am

Hrm. If you're worried about his hips, can you say something to the people who are running the course, so they can get him checked out?
Atria35

Postby Sheenar » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:05 pm

I did mention my concern to his trainer. In his records are his PennHip scores (measure how loose/tight the hips are via x-ray) say his hips are a bit looser than the average for Labs, but are okay. His trainer said that he sits with his legs splayed probably because it is comfortable for him to sit that way.

Sheenar

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:45 pm

ok, I'm glad to hear it's not really a concern!
Atria35

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:30 am

Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:47 pm

The topic I was really dreading...

Really, REALLY hard day today. It's been over a year since I lost her and I still fall apart when this topic comes up. :(

Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Darn Metal Lion!

Class trip to a huge botanical garden called Longwood Gardens

Sheenar

Postby Okami » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:07 pm

I've been trying to keep up with this as you update. (Just went through last night to make sure I caught all of the posts.) It's good to hear that overall, despite the mishaps here and there, things are going over well. :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Sheenar » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks, Okami! The encouragement really means a lot to me. :)

Obedience/Service Skills Practice

We are going to the Philadelphia Zoo tomorrow if anyone in the area would like to come say hi --just look for the big group of people with dogs!

Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:36 pm

I missed posting the last two blog posts. Sorry about that. :)

Philadelphia Zoo

Baseball game --Leon's POV

Thanks again for all the encouragement, friends! It really does mean a lot!

Only one more week left of team training! I will be going back home to TX with Leon next week! :D

Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:16 pm

Philly Trip/Certification Test/Wrap-Up

Graduation from team training is tomorrow! I fly home to TX on Monday! :D

Sheenar

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:18 am

Just became a follower!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:27 pm

We've graduated!!!

Also, funny thing happened tonight:

Oh my gosh, you all are going to laugh at me. I was leaving the kennel building after doing laundry. I had Leon do his business before heading back to the office. I was picking up the poop (with a poop bag) and I noticed a brown something off to the side a little.

I, with my hand inside the bag reached for the brown something.

And felt something cold and smooth --that leaped forward as soon as I touched it.

Of course I screamed in surprise --because, you know, poop isn't normally supposed to move.

It was a toad. A freaking toad. I laughed at myself so much. lol

Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:30 pm

Sorry for the delay

Had a great first week home except for me not feeling well starting yesterday afternoon and lasting most of the day today.

Sheenar

Postby Okami » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Glad that things sound like they're settling in and doing so well, Sheena. :) Leon sounds like an awesome dog, and what a Godsend and blessing it has been to watch as this has unfolded over the past several months - from the many prayers over financial issues to the training itself, and now with you back at home...truly amazing. God is so good. <3
Okami

Postby Sheenar » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Long, but good day

Thanks, Okami. He is such a blessing. I couldn't imagine life without him now.

Finances could still use prayer --still have to pay to meet with a local trainer for 12 sessions since I live too far away from CPL for grad support classes. Also still need to raise my donation to CPL to "pay" for Leon.

Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Okay Day

We went to the movies today.

Sheenar

Postby Okami » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Sheenar (post: 1490841) wrote:Thanks, Okami. He is such a blessing. I couldn't imagine life without him now.

Yeah! Leon seems to be a great fit! I'll continue to be in prayer for your finances and everything~God's handled it all so far, and He'll continue to see you through! :thumb:

I met a young man with a slightly more advanced Cerebral Palsy than I have this weekend, he had come up to me and my friends with his service dog to show us her new vest. When my best friend told him I also have CP, his face lit up, and we got to talking for a bit...and he laughed as he said that must have been why his dog was taken so fondly to me, that she must sense I have the same thing as him. It was sweet. :)
Okami

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Aw, that is so sweet! <3

Progress!

Leon and I still have some rough patches to iron out --as happens in a new partnership. He's still a young dog at 2, so he's got some more maturing to do and we are still learning to work together.

He did do a lot better today with the golf cart at church! Had to be coaxed into getting on, but sat quietly while riding and accepted treats from me. He was in a hurry to get off when we got to my car, though! Some more work on this and time --and he'll be okay in this area.

Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:16 pm

Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:53 am

Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:44 am

Sheenar

Postby rocklobster » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:17 pm

Glad to see Leon's back to his normal self.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Sheenar » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Thank you, Rocklobster! :)

Sheenar

Postby Sheenar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:57 am

Sheenar

Next

Return to Computing and Links