Know any easy programming languages or platforms?

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Know any easy programming languages or platforms?

Postby TheMewster » Sat May 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi guys. I've been interested in gaming and wanna be able to make my own games, especially visual novels. So do you guys know of any easy to learn, remember, and use programming languages or platforms? If so please link to sites about them. Thanks so much and God bless!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Edward » Sat May 28, 2011 7:18 pm

If you have a TI graphing calculator, learning TI Basic could be a good way to get started, and it's what I'm learning right now.

Here's a link to a website that can teach you TI Basic: http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/

But I don't really know what I'm talking about. There are other members who could give a much better answer.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby shooraijin » Sat May 28, 2011 7:58 pm

If you want to write visual novels, look at ONScripter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ONScripter
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby blkmage » Sat May 28, 2011 9:09 pm

There's a visual novel engine for Python called Ren'Py.
blkmage

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:52 pm

My college uses Python as an introductory language - it's very English-like, but it's relatively powerful; it teaches the basics of variables and passing things between functions, which you'll be having to do with pretty much all other languages.

Java is a great second language. It builds on Python, but is related to the C/C++ class of languages, which are what lots of programmers use in professional applications.

Game Maker isn't too bad for learning things, if you're looking for a really fast start and something super-intuitive - it does most of the work concerning graphics, object triggers and variables for you, and people have made some great games with it (Iji, Runman: Race Around the World and Hydorah, for starters).
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Midori » Sun May 29, 2011 6:44 am

If you're looking to learn game programming in general, Game Maker is great and I recommend it highly. It's more made for action games though, rather than visual novels. Also it only makes games for Windows.
Midori

Postby ABlipinTime » Mon May 30, 2011 12:05 am

I use Java for making games, though I do recommend trying to learn the basics of a language first before jumping right into things. Do you have any experience with programming?

blkmage (post: 1481750) wrote:There's a visual novel engine for Python called Ren'Py.

lol. There's a python module for everything... Except one optimized for solving advanced quantum mechanics problems.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Return to Computing and Links