Reboot issue

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Reboot issue

Postby Sebastian Michaelis » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Not sure if this is the right place exactly to put this but, I have been having issues with my pc rebooting it only does it if i leave my gpu(video card) at base clocks while running a game that requires me to have a card that can handle 3D elements so at the moment i dont know if its my psu(power supply) or bad ram or bad HDD

Specs:

i7 920 2.66Ghz
1000w Ultra X3
3 500 GB HDD's WD blue and caviar and a seagate barracuda(sp)
P6T Asus motherboard x58 chipset
Gtx 460 SC 768 mb GDDr5

P.S any help would be greatly apperciated in aid to find out how to fix my pc and stop it from rebooting also if i need to had more info please tell me :3 thanks in advance :?:
I am simply one hell of a butler-FKA MajorArmstrong-
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators
Sebastian Michaelis

Postby armeck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:33 pm

rebooting? like restarting, or coming back from a hibernate?
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby klomp123 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:09 am

Doesn't sound like a hard drive error. Bad RAM maybe, but it sounds like it's overheating.
Computers automatically reboot when they overheat to protect the hardware from damage.
I suggest installing speedfan, which will tell you your temps. Check your temps pre-gaming session, and then start up any programs that cause the problem and see if they skyrocket. You'll be able to tell if it's overheating if there's a picture of fire next to the temperature. If overheating is your problem, the solution could be as simple as cracking your case open and vacuuming it out. Otherwise you might have to get a new fan if the one you have is breaking down. This is of course, completely dependent on whether it really is overheating.
klomp123

?

Postby Sebastian Michaelis » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:00 pm

umm could a psu clogged with dust be a reason it reboots offend?
I am simply one hell of a butler-FKA MajorArmstrong-
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators
Sebastian Michaelis

Postby klomp123 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:18 pm

Quite possibly, yes. Even if that isn't the problem (and it probably is), it can't hurt to dust it out.
klomp123

Return to Computing and Links