My Anime Blog

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

My Anime Blog

Postby TWWK » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Hey everyone,

Many of you may know that I write a blog about anime and Christian spirituality. The main purpose is to hopefully get some conversation going among anime fans about Christianity - to that purpose, I've had some success with individuals.

However, I also want to engage Christian anime fans. I don't wanna flood the board, but I'll post here from time to time when I've written a post I find particularly interesting. For instance, one of my posts today is about my failed interview attempt with a voice actress, and what I learned from it: My Experience With a Voice Actress...or, Get Over Yourself, Minorin!
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:47 pm

I read your interview post.
I must say, it was not so much a failed interview as it was a success in discovering how your character needed to change.

God can work in all the most unusual ways. Whenever we fail, we ought to look to see what we can learn out of it and see that God really does have a plan.

Be patient, TWWK. Who knows - the opportunity may come again.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby AnimeGirl » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:02 pm

I was skimming over your blog, and I find it HIGHLY interesting! I really like what you are doing, and I think I'll be watching this blog. Good luck with it and God bless! ^.^
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby TWWK » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:09 am

AB, thanks for the comments. I'll keep them in mind!

And Katie, thanks for reading! I appreciate your thoughtful comment on the post! :)

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
TWWK

Postby Atria35 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:03 am

I just took a peek at it, and I have to say, this was an incredibly interesting blog! It definitely taps into a different part of anime and manga than most anime/manga blogs (even the Christian ones!)- I think my personal favorite was your analysis of Eden of the East. I hadn't thought of any of that, but it was also very true! And now I can rewatch it with fresh eyes, since I now have it on my shelf! :)

It was all terrific, and I can't wait to see more!
Atria35

Postby TWWK » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:14 am

Thanks for the kind words! I really enjoyed watching Eden of the East recently, and particularly because of how it connected to those ideas I discussed. :P

I have a new post up! This one focuses on the connections between Lain (Serial Experiments Lain) and her decision in the final episode (spoilers galore) and the similarities to Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane.

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:52 am

From now (well, yesterday) until Christmas, I'll be posting about a anime Christmas episode each day. I started yesterday with Card Captor Sakura, and today it's Read or Die.

If you want to find some Christmas anime episodes you may not know about, or just want to get into the spirit "anime-style," please visit. :)

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:20 pm

My most recent post is about the use of the word "holy" in anime: Of Kami and Buddhas: Holy Anime!

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:02 am

Our own LadyRushia was nice enough to break away from her terrific blog to write a guest post for Beneath the Tangles. It's a wonderful read, so I hope y'all go check it out!

Spiritual Dryness and Haruhi's Melancholy

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 pm

I added a new page to my blog - anime recommendations for Christian viewers. If interested, please feel free to read my postabout the new page.

TWWK

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:00 pm

I like the picks you have for your 'Six Recommendations', though my only comment about that is that Haibane isn't actually overtly Christian (the creator isn't Christian) and the symbiology of it is actually just as representative of Buddhism. That usually isn't apparent to those who aren't extensively familiar with Buddhism, but virtually everything that Christians point to as being Christian can also be interpreted as very Buddhist.
Atria35

Postby TWWK » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks for the kudos.

But, umm...dunno about the Buddhism aspect. I studied Buddhism and there's definitely that symbolism in there (idea of sin, reincarnation, etc.), but the Catholic/Christian symbolism is also pretty overwhelming - beginning with the surface level and the angelic beings, but going on to the setting that resembles purgatory (similarly, the angels here work, maybe to be free of their sins) and the Catholic notion of suicide being unforgiveable.

I'm actually reading a book specifically about the Christian imagery in Haibane Renmei (will put up a review on that, likely next week) and, unless I'm mistaken, I think ABe specifically was going for Christian imagery in the show, although he also said he kind of made things up as he went.

Edit: I was mistaken. I looked up the quote about ABe that I was thinking about, and he was trying to make a series that had all sorts of religious symbolism, but according to him, he wasn't thinking of any specific god.

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:33 am

This week is all about Haibane Renmei on my blog! The story is chock full of Christian symbolism and themes. Monday's postwas about the power of names. Today's is an interview with the author of a bookabout watching Haibane Renmei with a Christian perspective. On Friday, I'll have a review of the book.

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Last December, I conducted an extensive online survey of anibloggers regarding religion and anime. Each day this week, I'm revealing results of the survey and my thoughts about how people responded. Today's post is about demographics:
http://bit.ly/hGDv09

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:08 am

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:22 pm

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:34 am

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:09 am

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Guest blogger R86 writes about spiritual gifts personified in Onmyou Taisenki

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:44 pm

TWWK

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:50 am

Thanks for the comment on my review of Summer Wars!

You know, my mother and I had a talk about whether it was a family film in the first place- we ended up deciding that simply because of how death is treated within the movie (not only does she die, but you see the frantic CPR given, her body is shown multiple times along with the need to keep her preserved) that in the US, it would run a PG-13 regardless of the language. Kid's movies here don't deal with death, or if it is, in a very cursory way- you never really see it like you do in Summer Wars. Most families wouldn't approve of it.
Atria35

Postby TWWK » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Atria35 (post: 1463915) wrote:Thanks for the comment on my review of Summer Wars!

You know, my mother and I had a talk about whether it was a family film in the first place- we ended up deciding that simply because of how death is treated within the movie (not only does she die, but you see the frantic CPR given, her body is shown multiple times along with the need to keep her preserved) that in the US, it would run a PG-13 regardless of the language. Kid's movies here don't deal with death, or if it is, in a very cursory way- you never really see it like you do in Summer Wars. Most families wouldn't approve of it.

You could be right...of course, it's a family film, at the very least, in that it's about family, hehe. :P

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:04 am

Our own Yuki-Anne has contributed a post about her experience during these past few harrowing days in Japan: Yuki-Anne in Japan: Only Hope

TWWK

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:47 pm

TWWK (post: 1465359) wrote:Our own Yuki-Anne has contributed a post about her experience during these past few harrowing days in Japan: Yuki-Anne in Japan: Only Hope

Just read her post and thought it was beautifully written, I seriously almost cried. It's a whole different experience to actually be there in Japan where it happened than the rest of us who are just seeing it on the news. Already I am stressed out and worried, and I don't even live there! I will continue to pray...
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby TWWK » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:16 am

AnimeGirl (post: 1465413) wrote:Just read her post and thought it was beautifully written, I seriously almost cried. It's a whole different experience to actually be there in Japan where it happened than the rest of us who are just seeing it on the news. Already I am stressed out and worried, and I don't even live there! I will continue to pray...

I feel God pushing me to grow in my walk as I read about what Anne is experiencing in Japan. He's doing great work through her, I know it.

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:21 am

I'm revealing a new little project on my blog today. Named Aniblogger Testimonies, this series of posts (eight as of right now) will focus on the personal spirituality of a variety of anime and manga bloggers. Each post (one every Thursday starting next week) will be written by a different aniblogger. Several are Christian (including CAA's own R86), including one who is Orthodox (Ed Sizemore, who will be on the ANime Fans Give Back podcast marathon this weekend) and one who is pansexual, an atheist, an agnostic with a Jewish and Catholic upbringing, a practioner of Buddhism, and an individual with a personally created faith. I'm also pursuing a number of other would-be participants, including a Druid and a Muslim.

I hoping to open up discussion and dialogue in the aniblogging community (and maybe somewhat in the U.S. anime community at large) through this project. The first post is ready to go and is VERY interesting (and funny). I'll post a link here next week.

TWWK

Postby AnimeGirl » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:09 am

This sounds very interesting. I shall keep up with this!

AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:13 am

Same- I can't wait! I think this will be just as interesting as your previous series on religion and anime.
Atria35

Postby TWWK » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:03 am

Thanks, you two! I've gotten a number of posts back, and all are interesting.

I talked about this in the music forum, but here's the link, again, for the interview I did with Christian singer and voice actress, Cait Plage.

TWWK

Postby TWWK » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:12 am

A review for Cait's new EP is up!

TWWK

Next

Return to Computing and Links