Files Inaccessible

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Files Inaccessible

Postby SnoringFrog » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:36 am

I have an external hardrive with about 40gb of files on it. It still registers that 40gb of it is being used, but I can only see about 1.5gb worth of files. I've been Googling it and trying the suggestions I found for about 3.5 hours now, and nothing seems to work. All the results seem to say it's a virus making all my folders register as "hidden", but I haven't been able to unhide through any method I've tried.

I also unplugged my external hardrive and accessed it on Ubuntu instead of XP, but I have the exact same problem there. Does anybody know how I can regain access to my files?

Edit: I'm not above wiping the whole drive clean and using a file recovery program to regain the more important files, if I know for sure that the file recovery will work. I'm not sure if Recuva will work after a drive has been reformatted or not, but since the files are still on the hardrive somewhere I was hoping to not have to do that.
[color="Red"]
REedit: Nevermind, problem was solved. Going through disk check on the drive cleared up the problem. [/color]
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Whitefang » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:19 pm

Good thing that you got your problem solved, losing data is not fun! For future reference, a disk format will almost always cause irreversible damage to the data on the disk. If there is any chance of recovery, you will have to pay through the noise for a data recovery service.
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:11 am

Yeah... If you think the drive physically has a problem, there's one tool I usually recommend as before you consider going to a recovery company:
http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Mithrandir

Return to Computing and Links