what would you want in a gaming counsle?

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

what would you want in a gaming counsle?

Postby RefractedAhav » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:18 pm

I'd like to design my own gaming consel but I need input as to what people expect from a consle to see if my idea would even sell. Then I need to find out if it is even feasible with current tech.

A few things I'd like to put in it

built in projector
video output res: standard def, 720, 1080i, 2k
ability to handle steroscopic displays.

again those are only afew of the features that I'd like to put in it.

Also If you would like to help design the system or even bulid a prototype please let me know.
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm gonna sound discouraging, and I can't help that, because I'm not trying to be mean, but...dude, how do you think you can possibly survive in the current console wars?

Nintendo is a huge, huge name in video games, and their systems are fairly cheap, and in spite of that fact, they still manage to turn a profit on their system sales...unlike Microsoft and Sony, who take a huge loss on console sales and try to make it up with game sales.

Sony and Microsoft have the advantage of being enormous corporations that do a lot more than video games. Sony does all sorts of electronics like TVs, DVD/Blu Ray players, computers, and so on. Microsoft is pretty much dominant in the computer software department. In other words, they have cash reserves in other areas of the company, so a hit to their video game departments won't hurt too badly.

You, on the other hand, don't have a huge company. You would have to sell the consoles at a profit, more than likely, because you don't have any game companies interested in working for you. Consoles would be expensive, even if you mass-produced them, and remember how much crap everyone gave Sony for selling the PS3 at 599 dollars originally? You'd probably be selling your systems at an even higher cost. Not to mention nobody will have heard of your console, and you won't have any big names working for you.

On top of that, online gaming is pretty big, meaning your system would have to be capable of online...meaning that you'd have to get servers to handle an online service, and that would be pretty expensive as well...and you'd likely have to charge a monthly fee (like Xbox Live does) to keep those servers running. The difference is that Xbox Live has a lot of features on it, that you probably wouldn't have for your console, meaning it would be fairly expensive for a lot less than Microsoft can offer...or even Sony, whose online is free (for now, anyway).

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, I know I am. But I don't think there's room for another console in the current state of things, especially with the economic situation and the niches that the big three are covering...and then you have PC gaming on top of that, which is getting to be big again, especially with Steam.

However, instead of raining on your parade, I will be supportive. If you want to design a console, you should try to get a job at Microsoft. Nintendo and Sony are Japanese companies and they're a bit out of your league; not saying you don't have the ability, just saying that Japan doesn't like to let foreigners into the inner circles of their companies. But if you really want to design a console, try to get a job at Microsoft, try to get into their video game division, and try to get a job with the people who design the hardware systems. Yeah, it's not easy to do, but if you really want to make a console, I think this is definitely the way to go if you're motivated enough. Because trying to start up your own company and designing your own console...well, I just don't think that'd end well. Or even start well. Or even...start.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby RefractedAhav » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Even so, I would still like to design it and at least get something to show. Then patent any new techniques and designs.This way I might have more leverage if I have to have some one like microsoft produce it for me.

I was aware that this would be difficult, but I belive it will be worth the hassle. Besides I think if I market it right, I might do better than survive. The current companies have to face current consumer expecations. A new company means a new start. Yes this is dificult, but it also means that no one can complain that what you have to offer doesn't exceed what you had before.

As far as online gaming goes, I think that current consle manufacutures overcomplicate it by trying to controll online access. I think a hybrid between pc subscription and current console based subscription would work better.

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:52 am

I think because I came in here to discuss the subject line and not the OP, I think I'll stick to the subject line. What I'd want in a console, personally, accounting for both hardware and licensing:

Hardware: I think the next gen should be dual-architecture. I know I'll have some hardcore hacker types on my back for suggesting that, but not EVERYTHING thinks it's a bad idea. I like the idea of the two architectures complementing each other, as well as making certain types of emulation easier. For instance, if PS4 were Mips and PPC Cell, It would be easier to do both PS3 and PS2 BC. If Nextbox or 720 or whatever were X86-64 and PPC, it could be BC with both Xbox and 360 so they wouldn't have to abandon the supporters of either.

There HAS to be a reason Mips processors were so popular. I'm going to guess there are some benefits to that architecture, and the benefits of an X86 architecture should be instantly obvious. Use the two architectures to complement each other.

I also think there should be a fair amount of memory, plug and play support of basic PC peripherals (KB, Mouse, wheels, mics, webcams) and not be proprietary. They should be USB 3.0 (I'm hoping for a 2013 or later release... Boy, wouldn't that be glorious if they held off at least that long? 2014 would be a great year to release the next gen) There should be at least 4 ports. They should accept all flash drives and hard drives.

Licensing issues: I think Mods should be accepted as a rule whenever a game company wants them to exist. Did you know Gears of War on the 360 would have had mods? Microsoft fought it. This should not be the case. There should be a long list of moddable games on the next gen of consoles.

No more timed exclusives... It's just petty.

Firefox / IE / GOOD web browsers for all the systems. There's NO reason Sony can't use Firefox or its own, altered version of Firefox on the PS3. And on the PS4, that sorry web browser won't be excusable.

HUGE backlog of games. Public domain and other freeware games. Oh, and as for content

Online + Splitscreen + Bots for multiplayer games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby RefractedAhav » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:46 pm

thank you bob, this is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. One question though Is USB 3 any better than firewire? if not would you consider firewire for use in a console.

RefractedAhav

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:59 pm

My main interest would be making sure you could write your own stuff.

FW is a very good protocol, but while I would love it, I think USB would be more widely acceptable for your purposes even though USB3 is in its infancy.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:58 am

Mr. SmartyPants jus' want GHAYEMS. TRU GHAYEMS. WID FIDDY CENT. BALLIN'
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:27 pm

Elowen (post: 1398610) wrote:thank you bob, this is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. One question though Is USB 3 any better than firewire? if not would you consider firewire for use in a console.

Yes... USB 3 is more powerful and faster than either Firewire system now, at least until they make a third Firewire generation, but that may not happen. Apple lost the connectivity war, but Intel's gonna try to break in with LightPeak or whatever it's called... Basically Fiber optic connections instead of copper. The advantage USB 3 has is backwards compatibility. No new cables to buy, you can use your old devices, etc.

I don't think there should be another console until 2014 (I know that's unrealistic, and should expect no later than 2012) so I don't think USB 3 should be difficult to get in consoles by that time (or light peak, should Intel win this war)

As far as resolutions, there's no real logical reason to output HIGHER than 1080p unless you're running it in a THEATER. I think digital film resolution is something like 3240 p, but I'm not sure. (If they made digital I-Max I'm sure it would have to be even more than that). Instead of resolution, you should be more worried about things like color and framerate and what have you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby RefractedAhav » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:25 pm

the 2k res was kinda novelty idea.... you know just in case some rich kid or film student had access to a projector. :) but I understand what you mean. Is there a wireless interface more stable and/or faster than bluetooth?

RefractedAhav

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:18 am

So how do you plan on making this prototype?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:51 am

Instead of building the entire thing, I'd say build the most important features that you want to patent and then place them in a shell. Of course, I'd ALSO say to sketch out designs for the shell first instead of building and using the first one you come up with. A fully functional one might not be practical or even really possible at first.
I'm probably not one to say but I have a feeling that the way a console looks may also influence whether or not people buy it. Kind of like a car. Okay, bad analogy, but I'm willing to bet that people would want something that looks sleek and new, not really like a brick.
Yes. Framerate needs to be good. Not impossibly high but still really nice. And loading time for certain games. Would you try to have games that are constantly loading new areas or that have long load times, and what could the console itself handle?
And another thing: a good cooling system. Enough said.
Ante Bellum

Postby RefractedAhav » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:52 pm

@AB: I have been thinking on this for a while and as far as basic shape goes think along the lines of the roomba.

@smartypants: I think I'll be taking AB's suggestion. If I have help, I could have differnt people focus on the needed componants and then have some one oversee how it all goes to gether, but that depends on how many people want to help.

RefractedAhav

Return to Computing and Links