Linux: Mepis Vs. Ubuntu

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Linux: Mepis Vs. Ubuntu

Postby agasfas » Thu May 13, 2010 11:22 pm

I have never used a Linux OS before but I am curious and want to give it a try. From what I found online, 2 popular OS's are Mepis and Ubuntu. Which is better in your opinion? Also, is there a better Linux OS out there?
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby bkilbour » Fri May 14, 2010 6:26 pm

I studied it in one of my courses - Linux, whatever OS version of it, is best suited as a separate OS that you can use to partition your RAM with, effectively using multiple operating systems in one tower/laptop. Look it up - you may be able to use both versions, and do all the cool sock-puppet tricks that having more than one workable OS in the same machine.

The best linux to get is a free one. The cool thing about any version you get, whether mepis or ubuntu, is that there are always updates that make them better. Personally, I would go with Ubuntu, simply because it has more work on it and is more popular in the Linux crowd. But then again, I'm one of those wierd guys that actually likes using Vista.
Hebrews 12
John 14
Matthew 6
Psalm 119
May God be glorified!
bkilbour

Postby blkmage » Fri May 14, 2010 7:38 pm

You should get Ubuntu, the distribution that actually has usability as one of the core principles of the distro's philosophy. Beyond that, the Ubuntu community is much larger and likely more responsive for support.

Also, I've never heard of Mepis, soooooo...
blkmage

Postby Alcuinus » Fri May 14, 2010 8:46 pm

I like Fedora but they're kinda bleeding edge :P
Deo Volente Deo non Fortuna
Alcuinus

Postby Mithrandir » Fri May 14, 2010 9:31 pm

This is like saying, "What kind of car should I get." My answer is: What do you want to do with it? If you are looking to play games, it's probably not a good fit. If you are a unix junkie and want to play around on the command line or maybe run a server, get CentOS. If you are looking to check out the GUI stuff, I'd recommend Ubuntu. Not because it's that much better than the other stuff, but because there is a lot more support for it out there.

HIH
Mithrandir

Postby RefractedAhav » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Might I suggest Linux Mint? It is a Ubuntu based distro that is simple to use and yet powerful at the same time. Almost anything available for debian or ubuntu works on mint.

I don't remember if have tried Mepis or not. Most of the distros I've tried recently have all been some kind of Debian or Ubuntu (which is it's self based on Debian) derivative.
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Return to Computing and Links