Shiny new operating systems thread

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Shiny new operating systems thread

Postby blkmage » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:53 pm

The two major consumer operating systems that we all know and love are getting huge upgrades this year.

In one corner, we have Mac OS X 10.6,
[SIZE="6"]SNOW LEOPARD[/SIZE]

Being touted as a performance upgrade, Snow Leopard refactors a lot of the stuff in the OS, removing a lot of the PPC code and making every app 64-bit. The result is not much surface change (although there is some), but a pretty substantial performance boost. In light of this, it's being sold at the reduced price of $30 USD. It was released on August 28, 2009 to much adulation as it arrived at everyone's doorstep after they rushed to pre-order it earlier that week.

In the other corner, we have
[SIZE="6"]WINDOWS 7[/SIZE]

Mirroring the ME-XP releases, Windows 7 seems to have won everyone's praise again after the arguably disastrous Vista release. It features a revamped UI and a bunch of performance tweaks and compatibility fixes. It is what many say should have been Vista. It's a good thing that we won't have to wait five years like we did for Vista, as it is available to the general public on October 22, 2009. BUT, if you are lucky enough to be a part of the MSDN, then you can already get Windows 7, as it was released to the MSDN on August 6, 2009.

Basically, there are two fantastic upgrades for these two OSes. It sounds like both are worth getting. Are you planning on making the jump?
blkmage

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:01 pm

THAT IS A WHITE BENGAL TIGER.

NOT A SNOW LEOPARD.

Fail.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby blkmage » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:08 pm

Yeah I know ( ´_ゝ`). To be honest, this thread was kind of an excuse to use a picture of Tama being disappointed by 2channel and Siesta 410 recovering from a crash. ┐( ´ー`)┌

_██_
ಠ​_ృ
Actually, I meant, modern OSes are an interesting discussion topic and we should focus on talking about the future of computing instead of those slightly inaccurate pictures. Let me now subtly direct your attention away from those. (☞゚∀゚)☞

--

So, I pre-ordered Snow Leopard two days before it was launched. It arrived on the morning of launch day. I spent about 45 minutes upgrading my system, a 15" Macbook Pro, doing an in-place upgrade. It freed up a ton of space (almost 20 GB). Working with a VM is much more pleasant too. I also managed to do an in-place upgrade on my sister's first-gen plastic Macbook, which was running Tiger. Surprisingly, that worked too.

I'm able to get a copy of Windows 7, since my school is part of the MSDN-AA. I haven't gotten around to downloading it yet, but when I do, and if I feel like dual-booting on this machine, I'll let you know how it is.
blkmage

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:15 pm

I've had a pre-release for SL for a while (I'm a beta tester for Apple's Server software), but I haven't had a chance to get to the latest release yet. I'll probably wait until version 10.6.1 or 10.6.2 before I actually upgrade my home boxes.
Mithrandir

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:27 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]Neither; I'm doing a dual-boot with Ubuntu and Windows XP. They're both working well together and I'm not complaining.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Icarus » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:02 pm

An I had a Mac, I'd definitely be getting OSX 10.6.

I'd probably try Win7, but I'm an http://www.jinx.com/men/shirts/geek/arrogant_linux_elitist.html?catid=83#bigdesign
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:04 pm

I *need* that shirt!
Mithrandir

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:32 pm

Snowleopard is seriously only thirty bucks...? Sounds like it may be time to upgrade my macbook.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:56 pm

I don't have much of a need yet for upgrading from Windows XP, but 7 will be the definite choice.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby shooraijin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:32 am

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1342614) wrote:Snowleopard is seriously only thirty bucks...? Sounds like it may be time to upgrade my macbook.

*If* you already have Leopard. If you are updating from Tiger, Apple wants you to buy the deluxe pack, which sounds like Snow Leopard Ultimate Premium Professional or something (although the $29 update pack, Apple has admitted, will still install on Tiger boxes).

But as I am a PowerPC holdout and I still run Classic apps, Tiger forever.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby blkmage » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:50 am

Not only will it install on Tiger boxes, but it can even do an in-place upgrade from Tiger boxes. I've heard that the reason for this is that all Snow Leopard discs are from the same gold master.
blkmage

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:06 am

Nope, still working on 1) 10.4.11 and 2) a PPC.
So until I have...about $2000 in spare change, chances are I'm not going to switch to a new computer anytime soon.
Ante Bellum

Postby Hakaii » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:43 am

Mac OS X 10.6 or Windows 7?......

...Yes.

At work (glendale community college, AZ) we are going to start rolling out 27-inch Imacs that are dual-booting BOTH Mac OS X 10.6 and Windows 7, this summer. So far, we have only had issues with Win7 printing on our network (almost fixed) and Snow Leopard has issues with allowing people to access their network drives. They both look glorious. I have Windows 7 on my personal laptop. I am honestly spoiled by Win7. It makes tech work much easier, everything loads faster, looks (IMO) cleaner. The Win7 "gadgets" save me a lot of time looking up and testing hardware performance issues. Snow leopard is great as it is more compliant with Windows networking permissions (so much more compliant that it caused out current issue. lol) Previous versions mostly ignored our network settings for individual profiles. Which, for a short time, made it easy for someone to view other persons data. Luckily, the access was very little and no one could view more than the names of folders for the students accounts. But still, In my opinion that was still too much access. With Mac OS X 10.6 we'll be able to keep our network at close to the same settings that students are accustomed to (which is based on various Windows OS). While still seeing the same results on the Mac computers .

In short, God bless the people who have helped develop our current generation of Windows and Mac OS's.

~end of technician geek, Win7 fan-boy, rant.
MY World of Warcraft character:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?cn=Min%C3%A1to&r=Cenarius&ST=US-2191607-NLVS5sjRN3JDCotGsxVmv1ff9ZkZSGYRVta

I'm not megamaniacal... I'm as good as I say I am!!!
Hakaii

Postby RefractedAhav » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:03 pm

I wish I could afford both. At the moment I have a broken install of xp and Fedora 11 on a old shuttleX that I picked up for $5.00 at an estate sale. On my laptop I'm running Linux mint 8.

Win 7 looks like Mac OSX and KDE got married and had a baby. At least that's what it looks like to me.
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:53 pm

Run a legitimatley bought, but still cracked because of an error (well, series of errors... starting with "this copy of windows is not genuine" ending with "you have ordered the maximum number of authorizations you can order" when it actually wouldn't let me put in my credit card info about 8 times and finally told me I'd done it too many times), win 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 (don't know the nickname) dualboot waiting for 10.4. Prefer Ubuntu, but need Windows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon May 03, 2010 9:12 am

Well, I don't run ubuntu anymore. The dualboot thing loads into a %%%%%%% command prompt that's not even the same as the one in ubuntu. I followed instructions on getting back into ubuntu, but it didn't work. Said linux.mod didn't exist and I didn't have the right magic number...

I just want to get in and retrieve my anki cards, then I can install 10.4... I can't fix the install without "uninstalling" ubuntu... There goes about 2 months worth of Card work on Anki.

Gimp won't work on windows, among other things that don't work, I've had two ubuntu launches corrupt on me, I had that whole "not genuine" debacle with windows, and now my clock is going berserk. This laptop is a huge pain... I don't know why the dualboot thing just "forgot" that it had linux installed, though... And why things keep corrupting on it. I scanned my HDD, and there's no problems on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Alcuinus » Mon May 03, 2010 9:18 am

System Rescue CD should work. Just put it on a CD/DVD or thumb drive and boot from that. If you can then mount your HDD and an external drive, you can backup the files to the external or even copy the files to another partition if that one does boot.
Deo Volente Deo non Fortuna
Alcuinus

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue May 04, 2010 7:06 am

Well, I jumped the gun after navigating various forums and seeing all "solutions" as convoluted novel writing practices in computer code that isn't even LINUX code that I've grown used to. I just uninstalled 9.10 and installed 10.4 (I'm running a Wubi installation, if that is a problem... I wouldn't know how to install it any other way without losing Windows)

As it turns out, Ubuntu's boot files aren't the only things to be corrupted. I've lost 3 copies of my Anki deck so far. It's just that when I lost Linux, it had been 2 months since I backed that deck up. I'm remaking all the cards I lost in the crash now, and exporting about 3 copies each of my deck and backing it up online. Thing is, I've scanned my HDD and it didn't detect anything wrong. Don't know why I keep getting so many corrupt files.

Ironically, none of my unreal maps have corrupted... yet. Unreal maps are about the most likely things to corrupt for software reasons. I lost a number of maps when I was still in school. The fact I've gone my last 2 weeks of Unreal Editor work and haven't corrupted a map yet, and yet Anki which has NEVER corrupted on me before this laptop corrupts 3 times, and I went through a Kernel Panic and the boot instructions just plain forgetting that Ubuntu was on there, is amazing to me.
Bobtheduck

Return to Computing and Links