windows error message for IP address

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

windows error message for IP address

Postby bakura_fan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:33 pm

It gives me something along the lines of "your ip adress is conflicting with another IP adress on the network." I don't really know how to get any other info to you...I think I'm running XP. Anyway, my family just tells me to restart my computer. It worked for a bit but now I get the message almost immediately at start up. Is there a way to change my IP address? This is getting on my nerves...
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Kaligraphic » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:42 pm

start > run :

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Run those two commands, exactly as shown, and you should get a new IP address. Of course, you may want to address the reason you're getting the error, or you'll just run into the problem again. That's a longer explanation, though.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby bakura_fan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:25 am

thank you. this time I was matching my mother in laws computer instead of my husbands. if you could tell me the reason I'd appreciate it (if you know, that is). :) thanks again though. it worked!
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Evran » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:41 am

All it simply means is that the Router, when the computer was turned on, designated an IP address to the computer. The problem was, it gave the computer the same IP address as another computer that was already on the network.

Essentially, it was like having the same address for two different houses in a street. It causes confusion when delivering data because it cannot decide which address is the correct one.

The Ipconfig /release and /renew forced the computer to get a new address.
Evran

Postby jamessparrow » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Kaligraphic (post: 1259157) wrote:start > run :

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Run those two commands, exactly as shown, and you should get a new IP address. Of course, you may want to address the reason you're getting the error, or you'll just run into the problem again. That's a longer explanation, though.

Thanks for your suggestion.
first i checked my ip at command prompt by
ipconfig/all

I made your trick by doing
ipconfig/release
ipconfig/new

After doing this i got new ip address. Again i checked my internal ip address by ipconfig command.I checked my external ip address at Ip-Details.com
jamessparrow

Return to Computing and Links