Help with Zenith Data Systems Z-160

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Help with Zenith Data Systems Z-160

Postby Valkaiser » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:06 pm

Ok, I recently came into possesion of several of these ancient beauties and am having trouble finding information on them. This is the best that I have found so far LINK.
I am not having any luck finding documentation, or even more than a passing mention, for them. So far I have had success booting from floppy into some old games, but I'm not doing too well with the OS that is on them currently (claims to be MS-DOS 3.2?).
If anyone has any information on, or even remembers, the Z-160 I would be eternally gratefull for it.
Valkaiser

Postby Agent Anderson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm

What sort of information were you wanting?

My googling turned up similar system specs, and a forum where people were buying/selling this collecter's item:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/archive/index.php/t-964.html

After many attempts at rewording, my search to find a manual seems to be a dead-end.

Hmm, you say you have more than one? Want to give me one to investigate? :P
It kicks the crap out of my current comedically-ancient-computer-used-as-a-conversation-piece
Agent Anderson

Postby Valkaiser » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:28 pm

I would love any information about the hardware (and bios) that I can get.
After a few more weeks of searching I found this. Right now I'm trying to see if I can get it via inter-library loan or something.
Agent Anderson wrote:Hmm, you say you have more than one? Want to give me one to investigate? :P

The shipping is probably more than they're worth :)
By several I meant around seven, the college was throwing them out and I was the only student crazy enough to want them.
Now I'm looking forward to the possibility that I could be getting an IBM the size of a refridgerator.

...sorry for the delayed reply, I haven't been on much for a while.
Valkaiser

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:36 pm

I have an HP server the size of a mini-fridge. Still runs fine (even being, what, 20+ years old?)

You might try asking on the vintage computer groups - and if you're in the SF bay area, you might try going to the Vintage Computer festival in the fall.
Mithrandir

Postby Agent Anderson » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:18 pm

Wikipedia: "One unique feature of most Zenith PC-compatibles was the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Ins, which would interrupt the running program and break into a machine-language monitor. This monitor program was included in ROM, and allowed the user to trace or resume program execution, change machine settings, run diagnostic routines, or boot from a specific device."
Agent Anderson

Postby Valkaiser » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:25 pm

Mithrandir wrote:You might try asking on the vintage computer groups

May have to try that...
Mithrandir wrote:and if you're in the SF bay area, you might try going to the Vintage Computer festival in the fall.

Heh, a little bit out of my way, but thanks.
Agent Anderson wrote:Wikipedia: "One unique feature of most Zenith PC-compatibles was the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Ins, which would interrupt the running program and break into a machine-language monitor. This monitor program was included in ROM, and allowed the user to trace or resume program execution, change machine settings, run diagnostic routines, or boot from a specific device."

Yeah, that monitor thing is a lot of fun to tinker with, some of the diagnostic routines you can leave running for hours, all the while the thing beeps continously.
Valkaiser

Postby Valkaiser » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:51 pm

I found an advertisement brochure for this recently.
It amuses me greatly.
(PDF link near the bottom)
http://www.1000bit.it/scheda.asp?id=455
Valkaiser

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:02 pm

If shooby pops in at some point, you may want to ask him. Even if he doesn't know a lot about it, he's pretty plugged into the Vintage Computer community. I'll bet he "knows a guy who knows a guy." XD
Mithrandir

Postby shooraijin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:04 pm

Looks familiar but I don't know much about them. Try joining the mailing list at classiccmp.org and asking them.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Valkaiser » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks, I've done some digging through the archives and found some interesting tidbits.
I'm not really one for mailing lists, but I may give it a try.

It looks like I can now buy a PDF of that third party technical manual that I mentioned earlier directly from the publisher.
https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photofact/search/index/model/ZFA16152
I am considering purchasing it.
Valkaiser

Postby shooraijin » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:09 pm

I'm not really one for mailing lists, but I may give it a try.

Well, THAT makes me feel old. :-P
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Valkaiser » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:09 pm

shooraijin (post: 1386035) wrote:Well, THAT makes me feel old. :-P

If it helps, I'm not really one for forums either :-P
The only reason I'm even here is because my sister dragged me in and insisted that I participate.
(not that it wasn't worth it, because it is)
Valkaiser

Postby Valkaiser » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:46 pm

Apparently I had so much trouble looking up information for this computer because Zenith couldn't decide what to call it.
Aliases: Z160, Z161
That's not so bad, is it?
Then, I found out that it is a Z150 series machine. Actually, a portable version of the Z150 AKA Z151.
...but wait, theres more!
One might think that the Z150 was a Z100 series machine like the Z100 and Z120 (machines with 2 processors and a S100 bus), but it isn't. Sometimes they make matters clearer by referring to is as a Z150PC... Yeah, clearer.
So we have: Z160, Z161, Z150, Z151, and Z150PC (Don't forget Z-160, Zenith 161, Zenith PC Series etc.).
What is the anticlimactic upshot of this meandering rant?

The Zenith 160 is a straight up IBM XT clone.
I kid you not.
It even looks eerily similar to the IBM XT Portable http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5155.html.
Almost the same hardware specs even.
Although the Zenith does manage to pull it off without blocking most of its full length ISA slots like the IBM does.

So...

Uh...

Anyway...
A question for anyone who ran an IBM 5150 or 5160 (i.e. 8086 8088 class machines):
What what your favorite software to run? :)

P.S. Zenith bought Heathkit's computer business, so that name muddies the waters as well (H/Z100 etc)
Valkaiser

Postby shooraijin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:44 am

I don't have an XT, but I do have a PCjr. However, I mostly use the PCjr to play games, since that's what it was really designed for (it's a very poor IBM PC and that's why it failed).

shooraijin

Postby Valkaiser » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:33 am

Did it have the chiclet keyboard? That in particular sounded annoying.

I guess I'll mention that I installed a digital oscilloscope unit in the Zenith.
Not sure sure why, probably because I have it and it's old.

...so I can FFT stuff at a sample rate of 500khz!
yay?
Valkaiser

Postby shooraijin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:35 pm

I have both the Chiclet keyboard and the later standard clicky keyboard, and yes, the Chiclet keyboard was a pain (but much better than other kinds of Chicletboards).

shooraijin

Return to Computing and Links