Why oh why does Netscape hate me...

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Why oh why does Netscape hate me...

Postby SMoonEmpress » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:52 am

Hello everyone!
I decided to change the layout of my website Fairy-dust.net a bit, because I thought it would be more compatible with other browsers if I just used tables. It looks exactly the way I want it to when I look at it in Internet Explorer. Then I open it up in Netscape. There's gaps! Why are there gaps? Bad Netscape!
And so, I would appreciate any help anyone at all could give me. Thank you in advance!

Oh, and here's a link!
http://fairy-dust.net
"Watashi wa... Jikyuu no tobira wo mamoru meikai no bannin... Sailor Pluto!"
My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
(Psalm 62:1-2)

[Fairy-dust.net]
SMoonEmpress

Postby inkhana » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:18 am

Oh! I remember what I did when I had that trouble. Set your images to be the background of the cell instead of trying to squeeze them into the cell itself. For some reason, the latter causes gapping in Netscape and Mozilla. But when you set it to the background, it could wrap infinitely or be clipped...doesn't matter how much space it takes up. Hope that fixes the problem!

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby SMoonEmpress » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:03 am

::sigh:: Thank you for the advice, but it didn't work...
(I changed everything on http://fairy-dust.net/fairydust.html to test it, if you'd like to take a look).
Why is Netscape so screwy? I think everyone should just use Internet Explorer! (^_^)

Any more help would be appreciated!
My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

[Fairy-dust.net]
SMoonEmpress

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:01 pm

Your image is fine. it's the text in the lower right quadrant that is screwing it up. Observe: http://www.flactem.com/ocelot/test.html

All I did was comment out the text there. Either FORCE the fonts (bad Idea) or separate this out.
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:04 pm

SMoonEmpress wrote:Why is Netscape so screwy? I think everyone should just use Internet Explorer! (^_^)

Acutally, it's because IE has added a lot of bloat to HTML that is not part of the standard W3C SGML specifications that there are issues. NS handles it correctly. IE screws it up. Oh yeah, and if you don't upgrade to the latest IE, there are so may security features that it's scarry. The latest one is the MIDI bug. If you go to a page with malformed MIDI, an attacker can take over your computer. (I'm not kidding, go to google and do a search on it. If you prefer, look at /. a few days ago.)
Mithrandir

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:04 pm

Netscape hates everyone ...
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby SMoonEmpress » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:15 pm

Boy do I feel silly. (-.-)
The "Affiliates" heading was too large, and was thus stretching everything out!!!!
AYE! Thanks for you help everyone. I can't believe I didn't catch that. :sweat: :hits_self :hits_self :hits_self

[Fairy-dust.net]
SMoonEmpress

Return to Computing and Links