What are your thoughts on Romans 6?

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

What are your thoughts on Romans 6?

Postby Cc4FuzzyHuggles » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:04 pm

What are your thoughts on the chapter, Romans 6 or some of the verses in the chapter?
Which verses stand out to you or are your favorites from this chapter?
Link to Romans Chapter 6 http://kj2000.scripturetext.com/romans/6.htm

<< Romans 6 >>
King James 2000 Bible

Dead to Sin and Alive to God

1What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

2God forbid [May it never be!]. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer in it?

3Know you not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that just as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5For if we have been united with him in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that we should no longer serve sin.

7For he that is dead is freed from sin.

8Now if we are dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

9Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dies no more; death has no more dominion over him.

10For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he lives, he lives unto God.

11Likewise reckon you also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

12Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.

13Neither yield your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

14For sin shall not have dominion over you: for you are not under the law, but under grace.

Become Servants of Righteousness

15What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

16Know you not, that to whom you yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants you are to whom you obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

17But God be thanked, that you were the servants of sin, but you have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

18Being then made free from sin, you became the servants of righteousness.

19I speak after the manner of men because of the weakness of your flesh: for as you have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

20For when you were the servants of sin, you were free from righteousness.

21What fruit had you then in those things of which you are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

22But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, you have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

23For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Luke 10:25-27 Mark 12:28-34 Matthew 22 Deuteronomy 6:4-5 Deuteronomy 10:12
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”
No one is perfect, but by one prayer at a time, and one step at a time, God can make our paths straight.
Proverbs 3:6 "In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight."
Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Location: I live wherever the Lord leads me. (currently in an apartment with my sweet cat.)

Re: What are your thoughts on Romans 6?

Postby Cheetah » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:16 pm

Basically, what I get from this chapter is this-
As Christians we live under grace. Jesus died for our sins, past, present and future. Since God is not bound by time as we are, He is able to forgive the sins we haven't even committed yet. The Roman Christians believed that if you're saved it's okay to sin because you'll still go to Heaven. Paul agrees that God in His grace will forgive those sins, but that doesn't make it okay.
My personal thoughts are these-
God gives us an entire lifetime to call on Him to save us. After we've done this, why doesn't He just take us home to Heaven? Why does He leave his children in a sin filled world that we no longer belong in? The answer is simple. Our only purpose for remaining in the world after salvation is to lead others to Christ. We are then God's servants, His messengers. Then sin, though it may no longer condemn us, becomes a hindrance to this task.
Sin is never okay. But, yes, God does forgive it.
Cheetah

Postby Cc4FuzzyHuggles » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Cheetah wrote:The answer is simple. Our only purpose for remaining in the world after salvation is to lead others to Christ. We are then God's servants, His messengers. Then sin, though it may no longer condemn us, becomes a hindrance to this task.

Sin is never okay. But, yes, God does forgive it.
Amen! I appreciated your aspect on the chapter, thank you.
Luke 10:25-27 Mark 12:28-34 Matthew 22 Deuteronomy 6:4-5 Deuteronomy 10:12
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”
No one is perfect, but by one prayer at a time, and one step at a time, God can make our paths straight.
Proverbs 3:6 "In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight."
Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Location: I live wherever the Lord leads me. (currently in an apartment with my sweet cat.)

Postby Cheetah » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:37 pm

You're welcome. What are your thoughts about this chapter, btw? It's a very deep message. But at the same time the basic message Paul's trying to get across is pretty simple.
Cheetah

Postby Vilo159 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:06 pm

The biggest thing out of it is that just because we have God's grace doesn't mean we can go do whatever we want and not care because God has us covered. I know lots of people who intentionally sin, and justify it by saying "well, I've been saved, so it's okay, God will forgive me," and Paul tells us here that that's not okay. That's not how that works. Grace doesn't give us the okay to go sin. We are the servant of whatever we follow, so if we want to be true servants of God we can't continue to sin. We need to live all God's commandments to the very best of our abilities.
Vilo159

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth