What I've Learned About Suffering

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

What I've Learned About Suffering

Postby Debitt » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:25 pm

Four or five months ago, I am not afraid to say, could probably count as one of the darkest spiritual states I have ever found myself in. I was stressed out, having problems with communicating civilly with my family and friends, and I started developing some expectations of myself that were far beyond the reach of any human being. I started to have problems (I still do, admittedly) with handling guilt and doing things that I deemed "selfish" like asking friends or teachers for help with schoolwork. There was even a short period that I can remember where I had sunk so low into a depression that I couldn't even bring myself to pray or go to the Word.

Needless to say, I was not doing so well. February rolled around and I found myself crying at night about people I feel had wronged, or just because I always felt so low and depressed and...need I say, hopeless. It was even a struggle for me to haul my hide over to my friend's 16th birthday party, but I'm glad I did. There was a girl there that both my friend and I had met through a Bible study group at school, who ended up talking to me about her faith and her life once everyone else ended up going to sleep. I think without her, I would never have pulled myself out of the hole I had dug for myself, because one of the things she told me was "When the Romans [I'm pretty sure it was the Romans, correct me if I'm wrong] turned from Him, God punished them by staying out of their lives."

This stayed in my mind for the net couple weeks, until one day I found myself lying on my bed crying (I can't even remember why I was upset in the first place anymore), but not just shedding tears, but calling out to Him, "Lord, please help me, I need You in my life!" I started praying again and asking God for strength and the courage to finally bring myself to talk to someone about my problems.

God answered my prayers by bringing me first to my dad, who was gracious enough to spend several hous of his time talking to me and spending time with me, and to the CAA where I was sincerely inspired by the attitude of the people here. Then He brought me to my boyfriend, who gave me a hug (I love hugs. ^^;) and who came with me to see the Passion and told me while pointing to Jesus on the screen, "See that guy? He saved our lives." And now most recently He gave me the courage to talk to my best friend who in turn told me, "You can always talk to me. Even if you feel alone, there's still always someone who cares for you."

What's the point of all this, you're probably asking yourself. My point is that God can take any suffering you're experiencing, turn it inside out, and use it to bring you closer to Him if only you ask Him. He is never too busy, and He never feels like you're asking too much or burdening Him with your prayers. He was the one who said "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:35 pm

Thank you for sharing that, Kokoro.:hug: The verse in Matthew was perfect. I'm glad you're doing better and I hope and pray your walk will continue moving forward. :)

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Saint Kevin » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:34 pm

I am studying through the book of Daniel right now in my church, and that was the essence of the pastor's message last week: That God can use (and does use) even suffering to do His will.

That is why we should pray "thy will be done," and not grumble or complain should suffering be our lot. If it is God's will for us to suffer for a time, we will be better after it than we ever were before.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby HikariChan » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:03 am

that was neat kokoro!!:hug:
:dance:

My mom does NOT go to college
:P
HikariChan

Location: -Where I practice flying with my Imagination-Big Ol' Texas-

Postby Staci » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:08 am

Such a wonderful short story with a great message everyone needs to remember.

I recently suffered greatly from a staph infection, and then had an allergic reaction to the medications they gave me. Needless to say, for about three weeks I was utterly miserable. Most individuals in my case would be saying, "Why me, oh why me!?" The first question I asked is, "Why not me? If it can happen to anyone it can happen to me just as easily."

My fight for my health brought me even closer to the Lord than I was before, and I believe that was the purpose of me getting sick in the first place.

Trust in the Lord with all your might and everything will be well in the end. He is our Shepard and when one of us strays from the flock He will always bring us back. *~_~*

Thank you for sharing, Kokoro - I know exactly how you feel! :hug:
Member of the CAA Book Club
Staci

Postby Rachel » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:30 pm

thank you for sharing
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Debitt » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:43 pm

I've been seriously considering maybe doing more research and possibly writing a small book/devotional of sorts on depression, suffering, and how God can help. I know it was only a small 4 months of my life that I endured this, but it seems like that span of time has had a tremendous effect on my life in a very positive way. I've always prayed that God would use my love and skill for writing one day, and I think this is what He's calling me to do.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Spiritsword » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:36 pm

Thank you for sharing your testimony, Kokoro. God has brought me closer to Him and helped me to grow in my faith during both good times and hard times. I'm so glad He was able to use the difficult time you went through to bring you closer to Him. That would be neat if God prompts you to write a devotional. I will pray for your future journey with Him.
Spiritsword

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth