Fishin! I went today, have you?

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Fishin! I went today, have you?

Postby Juliannesan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:13 pm

I just have to say.

I haven't gone fishing... in a longgg time.

Not fishing for fish though, fishing for souls.

I have been taking an evangelism course at my church, called "Way of the Master." I'm not sure if any of you have heard of it, but I definitely recommend it, its a great tool. It has definitely amped me up for the urgency to tell others about the Good News and in a clear and loving but serious way.

It basically goes around the intellect of mind and goes right to the conscience and convicts the heart.

I've talked to about 15 people so far on different "fishing trips" and I've had some great response! It's been so exciting seeing people hear the truth and understand it! :)

Have you ever gone evangelizing before?
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Nope. No desire to, and I'm most definitely not called to.
Atria35

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Moved to Testimonies and Spiritual Growth.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Juliannesan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks, I didn't know where to put this. :)

It is such a blast!
I went again today with some friends.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:31 pm

I'm happy for you. Unfortunately, my attempts at even asking someone if they were interested failed. I lack the confidence and charisma to be able to evangelize at this point in time.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:57 pm

So what do you do when you go out for this? How do you talk to people? What do you talk about? What's the most interesting topic you've dealt with?
Atria35

Postby TheMewster » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:30 pm

LUCKY!!! I wanna take that class and evangelize more! Waah!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Riggidig » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:16 am

Someone from the church I used to go to came into the shop I work in yesterday. They handed me a pamphlet and said "give this to someone if you think they need it". Maybe they meant me...
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Nate » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:19 pm

While I have no interest in doing this and would never attend, I have to say I am quite curious about what kinds of things the course entails.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Juliannesan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:47 pm

Wow, sorry guys! I forgot I even posted this! Good thing I checked back!

Atria35 (post: 1483671) wrote:So what do you do when you go out for this? How do you talk to people? What do you talk about? What's the most interesting topic you've dealt with?

I basically go out to any park or place where people are just hanging around, and I approach them and kindly start up a conversation with them.

I usually start by asking them if they come from a Christian background, or ever gone to church or whatever. If they say yes, then I ask them for how long and yadda ya. And if not, I say that's cool/fine.

Then I ask them if they believe they are good people. Or if they believe they are a good person. I got a lot of "Yes, or I think so." Only a select few said they thought they weren't.

And then! I say okay, and ask them if they've heard about the 10 Commandments. And some say they did, others didn't.

And then if they are unfamiliar with the 10 Commandments, I kindly go over a few with them.
Then I ask them if they've ever lied, or stole anything, or said God's name as a cuss word. (I change up different commandments to different people too) Everytime they've said, yeah to lying, and other things. And then I ask them if God were to judge them by those commandments, would they be innocent or guilty of breaking God's law.

And usually they say guilty. Or they say that God is forgiving, or they say something like. "Yes, but isn't God supposed to be forgiving?"
Then I say, "Yes, He definitely is, but there is something that needs to happen before He can forgive you and let you into heaven."
Usually around that time, if they seem uncomfortable/unsure of what I'm trying to get at (or even if they are still glued into what I'm saying) I tell them that I'm not trying to say I'm a better person and I'm just trying to point out their wrongs, because I am just as guilty of breaking the commandments as well, God's law is what proves that we are all in need of a Savior. And that in reality, if we were to put ourselves in perspective to God, there are no good people. Not even the best behaved person in the world is good. Only God is good(meaning perfect). It says so even in Scripture.

And then I ask them if they would like to know the Good News of this seemingly hopeless situation, of not being able to redeem ourselves.
Most I have talked to have said yes.

So I give them a scenario of them going into a court room and they are standing before a good judge, the judge and them both knowing that they are guilty of breaking His law. And then someone whom they had never met comes to them and stands before the judge and says. "Good Judge, I have come to pay this person's debt. Please accept my life as payment for their crimes, because I love them."

And I ask them how they would feel. Most said grateful, some say confused as to why someone who didn't know them would die for them.
And then, I say how I can't explain how Jesus loves us, but He does and always has and will, and dying for us was the biggest picture of that love, because He knew that there was no other way for us to be with Him.

And I ask them to think about that, and remember that Jesus wants them to come to Him and is always waiting.

I usually then urge them, if it is a desire of their heart to know Jesus and serve Him and learn more about Him, then to ask Him to forgive them of their sins. And I also tell them, there isn't any special magical prayer you have to say. Just let it come from inside their innermost thought and heart.
I sometimes ask them if they'd like to pray with me, if they don't then I say that it's fine, it should be personal in any case.

And most people thank me, and sometimes I then give them a little tract, or New Testament, or Bible if I have one on me. But if they don't have one, and I don't have one to give them, I tell them of places they can get one, if they choose to.

And that's it! :D

I've had some people say that they don't believe in hell, or whatever and I do my best and point them to Scripture showing them that hell is real, and even if they don't believe in it, doesn't mean that it isn't real.
I also tell them, that it's a gamble they are choosing to take by not believing it. But if they still choose not to listen, I let them be and tell them to have a great day.

For the most part, I try to stay away from debate as much as possible, if it really seems like they don't want to hear anything I have to say, I let them be, because it really has to be them wanting to hear about it, for them to really accept it.

That is one thing I have learned as I've grown as a Christian, you can't force people to become a Christian, it's a choice they have to make for themselves.

And I often tell people that as well, I'm just a messenger, telling the Good News, it's up to them to take it. :)
I enjoy every minute of it though, whether they listen or not, I love to tell about God's love. I've had a really great experience doing so as well thus far.

Nate (post: 1483940) wrote:While I have no interest in doing this and would never attend, I have to say I am quite curious about what kinds of things the course entails.

The course I went through was called "Way of the Master" it's by a man named Ray Comfort. It really just brings you back to the basics of what we believe. Instead of trying to get into an argument with someone it basically goes straight to the conscience of any given person
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Derek_Is_Me » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:08 pm

I can tell you that I'm not meant to evangelize. But I do believe I have found my calling and that is helping as many people as I can in a hospital. I might even become a nurse because I enjoy doing this kind of work so much. ^^
Derek -The Daring Pokemon - A cool, totally awesome Pokemon that uses his power of song, medical skills and powers of cool to make others see things differently. He is not temperamental, but he likes to pull pranks and grins when you fall into his traps. Usually, he styles a fedora and prances around on all fours, he's all black with a white belly.

"Although I look into infinity. I only see the lords eyes, always shining upon my face and smiling in my heart. He will always be with me, no matter where I may go. Always watch over me lord. For I shall be eternal in your light."-Derek.
Derek_Is_Me

Location: Staring at you from your window outside. You have nice tastes in decor.

Postby aliveinHim » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:53 am

I love Way of the Master!!!!!!! It's definately a great course cuz it reaches the heart of the matter, sin and it's punishment. That's great that you're doing this! I love Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron. I pray that it all goes well for you. I had a great opportunity to share the Gospel with one of my friends. I'm just praying that she will finally accept and God will soften her heart.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Juliannesan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:36 pm

Very cool! Yeah, it's a very resourceful tool, and very natural. I like it a lot.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby TheMewster » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Derek_Is_Me (post: 1500549) wrote:I can tell you that I'm not meant to evangelize. But I do believe I have found my calling and that is helping as many people as I can in a hospital. I might even become a nurse because I enjoy doing this kind of work so much. ^^

Matthew 28:19 and 20 KJV---<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-24215">19</sup>Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: <sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-24216">20</sup>Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

ALL of us are called to spread the Gospel. Speaking of which, I really wish I could do that more often... :(
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:15 pm

TheMewster wrote:ALL of us are called to spread the Gospel.

Except me!

Nate

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:47 pm

I can see where Nate is coming from. Not everyone has been given the gift of evangelizing. And more or less forcing someone to do it doesn't help anyone either. I know I don't have that gift.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:17 pm

I know it's not a gift I have either. I mean, if someone asked me about God or Jesus of course I'd do my best, but I usually end up messing things up. Whenever I've tried to talk to friends and family about Jesus in the past they kept thinking I was being weird, overly-religious or worst of all 'holier then thou.'
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Don't take it personally if they don't grasp what you believe in, Topaz. If you believe you're sharing your faith in the best way you know how, then there's no reason to be ashamed. Jesus often had tough messages and whole crowds walked away, thinking he was crazy or something. Didn't stop Him. Shouldn't stop us regardless :).
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Rylynn4869 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:17 pm

I help teach several 5-day Bible clubs in the summer for children from 5-12 years old and I really enjoy it, but I have trouble when it comes to one-on-one conversations. Plus I'm an introvert, so starting conversations with people (especially people I don't know) is really hard for me.
[SIZE="2"]We've all got wounds, we've all got scars
Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it's hard
Don't give up hope, don't give up hope

'Cause He's got those wounds, and He's got those scars
And with His blood He heals our hearts
He is our hope, He is our hope!
~Don't Give Up the Fight by Revive[/SIZE]
Rylynn4869

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:22 pm

TheMewster (post: 1501856) wrote:ALL of us are called to spread the Gospel. Speaking of which, I really wish I could do that more often... :(

James 1:27
"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

Paul from Ephesians 4:11, "he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers."

Not everyone is called to spread the gospel.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:11 pm

TopazRaven wrote:Whenever I've tried to talk to friends and family about Jesus in the past they kept thinking I was being weird, overly-religious or worst of all 'holier then thou.'

That's why I just never bring it up. Matthew 25 is (to me) a pretty strong reminder that what's really important is taking care of others, not preaching at them. Not to knock evangelists of course, because they should use their gifts to the best of their ability. But I'm not an evangelist and never will be. I'd much rather love people and help them, since we ARE all called to do that.

Nate

Postby Juliannesan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:11 am

I'm not going to try to convince anyone that you should evangelize, even if you don't have that gifting, per se.

But I am going to tell you that you're missing out on a wonderful opportunity, and I wasn't always this brave to be able to go out and tell people about the Gospel.

If you have tools and use them and get over that hurdle of being criticized or complained at, you'll have the time of your life. I can guarantee it.

And another thing I've learned is that most people actually want to know about God, and they want to hear who He really is. It's a common misconception and also a common side-effect of fear, is that no one wants to be told about God, because it simply isn't true.

If you go about it in a loving way and understanding way, and you ask God to give you the words. (Because it's not our message, but His to begin with) then He will give you the way and means of accomplishing it.

I strongly believe that everyone is called to lead others to Christ. The how you go about in doing it is up to you, but everyone is called to do it. As TheMewster pointed out. That was Jesus' last command to everyone left behind on this earth. "Go out and preach the Gospel."

Obviously it's not easy, but it is so very rewarding, in more ways than you can even imagine.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

Don't let fear get the best of you.

Those who would like to hear more. Please visit. www.wayofthemaster.com or www.livingwaters.com
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:20 am

Christians are called to share God's love and hope and message to a dying, hurting world but there are many ways to serve God and the people around you. The Holy Spirit uses some people to spark an interest in Christ, others help lead a person to accept Him. Some are called to water the seed of faith. Then you have those who help to disciple new believers (incredibly important and often forgotten in favor of winning most converts to Christ). Not everyone is called to approach strangers on the street. We are all called to listen to those around us and provide hope but there are many different approaches. Your approach works for some people but in Australia many people would just blow you off or worse. You have to engage people you know and who trust you and don't see it as an ulterior motive to become a 'saved' statistic. Glory to God for what you're doing though, even if that approach isn't suited to everyone. You need to know your audience.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Juliannesan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:48 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1503333) wrote:Christians are called to share God's love and hope and message to a dying, hurting world but there are many ways to serve God and the people around you. The Holy Spirit uses some people to spark an interest in Christ, others help lead a person to accept Him. Some are called to water the seed of faith. Then you have those who help to disciple new believers (incredibly important and often forgotten in favor of winning most converts to Christ). Not everyone is called to approach strangers on the street. We are all called to listen to those around us and provide hope but there are many different approaches. Your approach works for some people but in Australia many people would just blow you off or worse. You have to engage people you know and who trust you and don't see it as an ulterior motive to become a 'saved' statistic. Glory to God for what you're doing though, even if that approach isn't suited to everyone. You need to know your audience.

Well, the whole method isn't to necessarily bring in another "saved" statistic, but rather to get the individual to think about his/her life on more serious terms, and to really see their need for a Saviour.

Because a lot of people think that they are just good, ordinary people, and no real need for a Saviour, they think that just by doing enough "good" works, God will forgive them and let them access heaven. But obviously that isn't the case.

So its more to bring up that awareness, and as I said earlier, most times... I don't even ask if they want to pray with me then in there. But I do urge them if it concerns them to make it right before God in their own time and space.

Most people have thanked me.

Now, I haven't tried this method in Australia, and you may be very well right, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't try if I was there.

You are right that it is the Holy Spirit that moves in a person to give them the words and the methods to use, and there can be different ways of wording things and ways of speaking about it for different people.

But the point of the matter is, God does call us all to make disciples and bring others to the knowledge of Him. It doesn't mean that people will always listen or even respect you. But it's stepping out in faith and doing it, that counts.

It's not up to us, ultimately, if a person receives Christ or not. It's that person's choice and God's work in their hearts that will make that decision.

But it IS our job to spread the message of the good news, by actions and by words.

Like the parable of the sower who spreads the seed. Sometimes it goes on rocky soil, weedy soil, and sometimes good soil. We just need to go out and spread that seed. Leaving the results to God.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Nate » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:26 am

Juliannesan wrote:Because a lot of people think that they are just good, ordinary people, and no real need for a Saviour, they think that just by doing enough "good" works, God will forgive them and let them access heaven.

Actually it's more like a lot of people think God does not exist, and that there is no afterlife so "good works" and "sin" have no real meaning.
But it IS our job to spread the message of the good news, by actions and by words.

That's not the same as evangelizing though. Which is why the point has been made not everyone is called to evangelize...which is absolutely true. And I for one am not called to that. Which is why I live my life and don't bother anyone else. If someone asks? Yeah, I'll tell them. But I'm not gonna go walk up to random people on the street and start trying to evangelize at them. Because I know I'd probably be a little annoyed if I was hanging out at the park and someone came up and tried to convert me to Hinduism, or Taoism, or Scientology.

Nate

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:27 pm

Juliannesan, you're welcome to try that method in Australia, if you ever visit here. I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm just saying that method doesn't work for everyone and that's okay. Some of us are meant to be feet, eyes, hands, legs in the Body of Christ. If we're all the same, doing the same thing, there's not a lot of productivity and we're not reaching people we otherwise would meet. That's all I'm saying.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:24 am

I guess I am a bit confused then... if we aren't all called to evangelize, (which I do agree with) Then what else are we doing? I don't believe that keeping God's love to ourselves like little saved hermits works either. xD;;;

While I may not agree 100 percent with Way of the Master, I do believe that it can produce awesome results.

I guess part of me WANTS to be able to do that, but then another part of me just feels odd about going up to some random person and talking about Sin and all that especially if the person hearing doesn't even care or have an idea. Perhaps that's just the people pleaser in me though. >_>

However, if God is telling you to talk to someone, then I think you should totally listen. You know? We may not all be evangelists but we all have a story to share, and I believe that the Holy Spirit will give us words to say when he wants us to speak.

I think though, that we often forget that.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Nate » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:32 am

We're not all called to evangelize, but we can share the gospel with others. That's different from evangelism.

For example, someone might ask you to teach Sunday School class as a substitute because the normal teacher is sick. You might do this even if teaching isn't your spiritual gift. It doesn't mean you can't ever teach, it just means you're not especially gifted in the area of teaching and don't (and probably shouldn't) do it regularly.

My dad preached a few sermons at our church when the pastor was out on vacation or sick. But my dad wasn't called to be a pastor. That's why I'm saying every Christian can evangelize, but it isn't what we're all called to do. It isn't a gift everyone has. We can still DO it even if we don't have the gift, we're just not talented in that area.

Nate

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth