Atheism, Christianity, and I

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Atheism, Christianity, and I

Postby User Name » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:01 am

This had been quite an issue with me for time.

When I was much younger, about 9, I had been somewhat of an Agnostic Christian; I wasn't sure whether God was there or not. I just went to Church or read the bible simply beacuse my mother pushed me to. I also had one of the worst outlooks on life, and was thus, a pessimist.

One day I read an atheist's speech on the belief in God. It asked me the questions: "Why does God allow all these terrible things to happen in the world today?", "Why does God ignore so many prayers?, and "Why does God never show himself to us?"

I looked at these questions, and kept wondering what the answers may be. It seemed like such a good point in the terms that it is true. I never came close to erasing these doubts.

I just wanted to avoid looking at these questions from then on, but at the same time, I couldn't resist looking at the questions and thinking: Does God really exist? If he did, then why does he let all the bad things happen to me?

I never in the end managed to remove the doubt from my mind. It seemed like any answer I could come up with made no sense. "The atheists are right. God was either malevolent or nonexistent." I thought. I could stay with Christianity or move to Atheism.

But I didn't switch to atheism. Instead, I stuck with Christianity. I thought to myself that I wasn't going to take a chance and betray God. I didn't like the fact that it felt like I wasn't making an intelligent decision, but I made it anyway. Even if he was malevolent, I still loved him.

But then I realized more things. I realized that I would never switch to atheism. God was my reason for living. I had hated life, and always wanted to commit suicide, but I never did, fearing "What would God say about this?"

Then more things started to flow into my mind, and started answering the questions:
"Why does God allow all the terrible things happening in the world?":
Because he doesn't control us to do these things. Rather, we are the ones allowing it. If God solved the problem instantly, then he'd be spoiling us and letting us use him as a tool to solve problems.

"Why does God ignore so many prayers?":
Because they are selfish, unhelpful, or ruins a part of God's plan. Either that, or it tests God. Praying isn't asking for something from God. It's communication with God. We sometimes ask for help, but we don't use God as a gumball machine, just like above.

"Why does God/Jesus never show himself to us?":
Some people, like my mother's friend, claims that she saw Jesus. He does show himself to us occasionally, but an atheist denies this, in an attempt to get rid of God, or by doubt. If he showed himself to everyone, then the atheist would call it something like a mass hallucination. Besides, why show himself when you already believe in him?

After pondering these things, I looked back towards the batches of questions that I had so far visited, and promptly realized that the questions were all repetitive. None of them really questioned the existence of God, but rather, how God didn't do this or that. I promptly thought of how an atheist would ask "Why did God not change my diapers?" or "I stubbed my toe! Why did God put that chair there?", and laughed.

I also saw that they didn't use questions like these so often. Most of the entire arguments would be bent on calling Christians "delusional" or "irrational", and using those two words in copious amounts. I never did manage to stop getting annoyed by how atheists insult us, and I felt slightly more embarrased by the fact that I thought of a 5 paragraph rant with 4 of the paragraphs filled with only insults as logic.

As I grew up to who I was now, I grew, to unfortunately, dislike most atheists I've met, considering the amount of "wtfroflmfao111religiouswars" they bring up, and the insults I get from them.

I also wondered, did God come into me when I was dealing with atheism? I still feel comfortable to feel that God was there and he helped me to truly believe in Him, and that when he let the worst happen, it was not because he was malevolent, but because he wanted me to understand what the trials I must face will be like.

___

Anyways, that's my story. What's yours?
User Name

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Welcome to the forums. We certainly welcome serious discussion, though bear in mind we're officially non-denominational and hence certain kinds of theological discussion have to be off limits. That's more for future posters than for you.

It's good that you're thinking about difficult issues and I would urge you to continue thinking. A lot of these issues are complex and the answer that satisfies one person may be morally reprehensible to another. So while I hope all Christians can be intellectually satisfied about these issues, it's important never to stop with a cut and dried answer.

Suffering is a topic where it is especially important to avoid easy answers. Tens of thousands of people (including many infants and children) die every day from entirely treatable and often senseless causes - no answer to the question of suffering can ignore all of them. A great deal of this suffering is caused or propagated by human actions - this helps very little theologically, of course, but it is a good reminder for those of us who call ourselves Christians. Unless we are actively working to make the world more like our God's vision for it, we have no place trying to explain its suffering.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:24 pm

"Why does God allow all the terrible things happening in the world?":
Because he doesn't control us to do these things. Rather, we are the ones allowing it. If God solved the problem instantly, then he'd be spoiling us and letting us use him as a tool to solve problems.

Someone asked me this very question, and I didn't know how to answer them O.O Well, it was more that I didn't know how to put it in words. I'm not sure why, but the answer was so apparent ^ ^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby User Name » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:09 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1252077) wrote:Welcome to the forums. We certainly welcome serious discussion, though bear in mind we're officially non-denominational and hence certain kinds of theological discussion have to be off limits. That's more for future posters than for you.

It's good that you're thinking about difficult issues and I would urge you to continue thinking. A lot of these issues are complex and the answer that satisfies one person may be morally reprehensible to another. So while I hope all Christians can be intellectually satisfied about these issues, it's important never to stop with a cut and dried answer.

Suffering is a topic where it is especially important to avoid easy answers. Tens of thousands of people (including many infants and children) die every day from entirely treatable and often senseless causes - no answer to the question of suffering can ignore all of them. A great deal of this suffering is caused or propagated by human actions - this helps very little theologically, of course, but it is a good reminder for those of us who call ourselves Christians. Unless we are actively working to make the world more like our God's vision for it, we have no place trying to explain its suffering.

Don't worry- I don't intend to drive this into a theological discussion.

You speak the truth when you say that we have no right to explain something but don't help to stop it. Whatever it was- a war, an epidemic, or a suffering population, I always know that I CAN help solve the problem. It's just that one thing: Will you help solve the problem?

I appreciate your replies.
User Name

Postby Kunoichi » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:55 am

User Name,

I would encourage you to read a book/books my Lee Strobel. He speaks to top theologists, biochemists etc. that answers many of these questions.

Secondly, I agree with UC. In the topic of suffering...we as human beings will most naturally view OUR suffering as being too much. Basically, God is allowing suffering and yet who are we to say when something is "too much"? So suffering has to be brought into a matter of perspective. One as humans we do not have, usually. I heard it once said that the amount of perspective we have to God is like what a bear or fish has to a human.

I could say that the rape and abuse I went through was "too much" and yet what the Devil meant for evil, the Lord has enabled me to touch many who have gone thru the same thing and help them out of their despair and bitterness.

And while I understand how you dislike atheism...you also have to realize that these ppl simply do not know. Because they do not know, they fear and because they fear, they try to control. We are called to LOVE them...not like what they teach. *smile God bless
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:00 am

You might also like Ravi Zacharias. He's a proponent of Rational Christianity, that is proving that Christianity is a rational and reasonable faith unlike many militant Atheists claim we are. Although his latest book "The End of Reason" is a little more heated than others, the battle with Atheism and depression is one that he knows well. He came to Christianity on a hospital bed after a nearly successful suicide attempt. He's a very impassioned and intelligent man. I think you'd like him.

Welcome to the forums!
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Sheenar » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:33 pm

C.S. Lewis' The Problem of Pain is an excellent writing on the "problem" of pain and suffering --he writes in an intellectual and thorough manner without a lot of fluff. He was once an atheist as well. Give it a look if you get the chance.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth