What do you think God is like

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

What do you think God is like

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:09 pm

I was wondering what each of you thinks God is like? Meaning, what is your image of God that you find the most comfortable?
To me, God is like a loving parent who holds you close and doesn't care if you screw up. All He cares about is your well-being and He loves you no matter what. I like the psalm where David compares God's love to a weaned child in its' mothers arms. I find that image very comforting.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:30 pm

I see God as a pure kindness, love, and understanding. I see Him in everything...from people around me to the leaf on a tree.....
He is ultimate beauty, life, and love.....He challenges me, He wants what is best for me, and He is the only person I know that truely loves me no matter what I do and what my hangups are....
He is like a warm light in the cold darkness.....
like the hug from a loved one....
like air-vital.....
I don't really know how to sum up WHAT God is like...but that's what I feel from Him....if that makes sense.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby NekoChan_C » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:40 pm

I, too, see God as the Ultimate parent... But not only love and kindness and acceptance... being a parent myself, I know that REAL LOVE also means punishment and chastisement for wrong doing. So I know that when I screw up, He still loves me, but I also know that I may have to pay a penalty or a consequence for my wrongdoing...
one of my favorite verses:
Luke 11:13 -- "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?"
The Holy Spirit is the source of our good gifts... and to know that He will give to us abundantly is such a comfort!!! <3
http://myspace.com/shura_no_hana
XBox Gamertag: NekoChan Cruz
PSN Gamer ID: Neko no Ichi
http://neko-chan-cruz.livejournal.com/
NekoChan_C

Postby User Name » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:45 am

I personally see God as what you guys, so far, think of him as.

I also see him to be humorous, and also quite the tactician.
User Name

Postby termyt » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:58 am

God is who we need Him to be. Should I ever meet God in a vision or the like, my guess is He'd appear to me in a way that at the same time challenges my perception of Him and comforts me with His presence. At the same time would feel safe in His arms and yet afraid for my life. Like everything I know is wrong, yet it's all going to be OK.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Nate » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:37 am

I'll be the first to admit that my idea of God is pretty different. I believe in a God with a long white beard, a gold crown, and a long robe with lots of shiny jewels on it. He sits on a big throne in the clouds, and He's about five hundred feet tall. He talks in a real deep voice like "I...AM...GOD!" He can blow up stuff just by looking at it. This is my own, personal idea of God.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby USSRGirl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:00 pm

He's the Man with the master plan who stops wandering prairie dogs from getting run down by careless SUV's, makes self-checkouts give you extra change just because, and told Jael to stick a mallet to some guy's head!

XD ... Nate's reply inspired an honest and non-philosophical response.
USSRGirl

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:23 am

God is a fan of the Minnesota Vikings.

>_>

Truthfully, We know what he's like. When we see him in person, though, it'll be undescribable.
Hiyakawa Sayaka (my character from my writing) wrote:God has given me a gift, that I really don't know what to do with. I guess, all I can do is put it in his hands, keep my hands inside the car, and expect to end up destroying parts of Tokyo with my perfectly good guitar.

Revelation 1:10-11: I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, saying, [color="Red"]"Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches to Ephesus and to Smyrna, and to Pergamum and to Theyatira, and at Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."[/color]
Sakaki Onsei

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:58 pm

At the risk of substituting a quote for a thought, my feelings about God are aptly expressed by this C.S. Lewis quote:

“Talk to me about the truth of religion and I'll listen gladly. Talk to me about the duty of religion and I'll listen submissively. But don't come talking to me about the consolations of religion or I shall suspect that you don't understand.”
uc pseudonym

Postby SusanTheCat » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:59 pm

To me, God is the peaceful feeling you get when walking in the woods.

(Yeah, I know it's sappy)

Susan
SusanTheCat

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:05 am

rocklobster (post: 1248612) wrote:I was wondering what each of you thinks God is like? Meaning, what is your image of God that you find the most comfortable?
To me, God is like a loving parent who holds you close and doesn't care if you screw up. All He cares about is your well-being and He loves you no matter what.

That's nice. What religion is it.

I am not particularly interested in a self-comforting, personally tailored idea of a lesser god stored in a box of my own invention. The nature of the one true God, Creator of the Universe, rests little on my personal standards of what is cozy and comfortable.

Though while we're on the subject, I could use a drink with a little umbrella in it.
Fish and Chips

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:52 am

rocklobster (post: 1248612) wrote:I was wondering what each of you thinks God is like? Meaning, what is your image of God that you find the most comfortable?
To me, God is like a loving parent who holds you close and doesn't care if you screw up. All He cares about is your well-being and He loves you no matter what. I like the psalm where David compares God's love to a weaned child in its' mothers arms. I find that image very comforting.

What I think (or what anyone thinks, for that matter) God is like is completely irrelevant. Who God really is, however, is of prime importance.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:04 am

For some reason, I bet God looks a lot like the BK King.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:28 pm

CrimsonRyu17 wrote:For some reason, I bet God looks a lot like the BK King.

Heh, God should be at least as unsettling, if we're reading our Bibles seriously. That makes me want to take some pictures of the character and put some of the harder verses on them...
uc pseudonym

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:22 pm

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1252469) wrote:For some reason, I bet God looks a lot like the BK King.

This thought scares me >_> Not sure why, but.. the BK King really freaks me out O.O
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Dante » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:21 pm

When I think about God I think of him a lot like I think of Jesus, I realize that he has a very powerful position in the universe, the ultimate position in fact, but at the same time, we're like the closest friends or the best brothers in the universe. Family. Thus, unless I'm in a bind, his celestial position always tends to take second place in our relationship compared to our friendship as individuals.

I don't want to just care about him because he's the God of the Universe and can save my soul, I care about him because of who he is, and was and continues to be despite the world and all it does. I care for the type of person/God he is not the fact that he is just God.

To the same extent (given this closeness, I care about him deeply and he cares about me, but we also argue, fight ect. ect. EVERYTHING that you would expect if you let someone get really close to you). The only sometimes annoying part is that he always wins or I lose. But our adventure together goes on independent of it all.

-Pascal
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Souba » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:09 pm

Pascal (post: 1253002) wrote:When I think about God I think of him a lot like I think of Jesus, I realize that he has a very powerful position in the universe, the ultimate position in fact, but at the same time, we're like the closest friends or the best brothers in the universe. Family. Thus, unless I'm in a bind, his celestial position always tends to take second place in our relationship compared to our friendship as individuals.

I don't want to just care about him because he's the God of the Universe and can save my soul, I care about him because of who he is, and was and continues to be despite the world and all it does. I care for the type of person/God he is not the fact that he is just God.

To the same extent (given this closeness, I care about him deeply and he cares about me, but we also argue, fight ect. ect. EVERYTHING that you would expect if you let someone get really close to you). The only sometimes annoying part is that he always wins or I lose. But our adventure together goes on independent of it all.

-Pascal

[color="RoyalBlue"]Wow Pascal that was beautiful! I don't think I could describe Him any better. :thumb: It's just that simple, you don't have to be a theologian to really understand because God really wants us to just trust Him day to day knowing that all things will work together for our good not by our works, but by His amazing grace.
Beloved in Grace,
Souba[/color]
@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~

[color="RoyalBlue"]We are not saved by the Law, but by Grace[/color]

@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~
Souba

Location: Second star to the right and straight on until morning!

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth