[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
"Jesus told us to love people, not like them" - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

"Jesus told us to love people, not like them"

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

"Jesus told us to love people, not like them"

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:23 am

"Jesus told us to love people, not to like them."

I hear this all the time and I think it can be a load of bull, as people use it as an excuse to dislike others. Of course, there's a difference between becoming irritated with someone when they're annoying, and holding a grudge (even a tiny one) towards someone and continually mock and make fun of them. The latter is not an example of love. You cannot love God and not love people. And of course, it takes God to love God and people.

"8The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

-Galatians 6:8-10

So as I previously mentioned, we're called to love everyone, even our enemies. Well... what are you doing to love them? Do you simply say you love them because you're not filled with hate towards them? I can assure you that simple apathy or indifference is not love. Here's a verse we've all heard before:

"4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

-1 Corinthians 13:4-6

If you're not following the above statements towards somebody, you're not doing what Christ as called you to do. So don't tell me you love people when you're being rude to him. If you dislike him, fine, but if you can't love him as how love is defined in that book that we all say we believe in, then you're in a pickle. =p This is what Jesus meant to "love people" and it took me 18 years of my life to figure this out.

If you hate someone, the only one who's going to face damages from the repercussions will be yourself. XD Anger is definitely something you don't want to hold on to. :D

So yeah, food for your soul to chew on.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Ingemar » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:42 pm

What? No 1 John 4: 7-8?
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Sheenar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:29 am

Well, there are a few people (my mother among them) that I love, but don't like what they do/the way they act. I love my mother, but that doesn't mean I have to stay around her and continue to receive abuse. I chose to get myself out of the situation --does that mean I don't love her? No. It just means that I got myself out of an abusive relationship. I love my mother, but I don't like her--I can't be around her--not until God changes her heart.
I hope I make sense...
Also, you can't be best friends with everyone --God makes us all different, and some personalities just clash --you can love them and respect them as a person, but you don't have to be around them all the time...
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth