On fasting...

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

On fasting...

Postby Artist4Jesus89 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:45 pm

Please forgive the BAD punctuation im in class and lol im in a hurry!

I hope this isnt in the wrong area but anyways... i have not really fasted before i know this sounds weird but i dont know how to really i mean i DO know but at the same time i dont... and i have alot of issues i mean i love food (although people woulndt know that because i dont like eating alot in front of ppl and they think im like annorexic or something... even though i am not) and im not going to lie lol... i dont think i put it ahead of God, i have fasted i think 2 times... maybe 3 but it was noly for a day do you think that someone could give me tips ... when i plan on fasting is when my grandma just ends up making THE MOST YUMMY FOOD EVER!!
It frustrates me i can make it through bfast and lunch but when it comes to dinner haha yeah -_-' cant do that i mean its so hard when you ahve food in the fridge and you are like really hungry and your stomach is growling <_< >_> i know im supposed to pray and read my Bible during this time but gosh its hard for me to do it alone i mean it would be so much better to do it with a friend but idk ... <_< what should i do any advice?
Artist4Jesus89

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:18 pm

Well, I'm not to familiar with fasting myself, but I can tell you that you don't have to fast only food. You could fast something like TV or the computer instead; basically, whatever is important to you, or whatever you hold relatively high on your list of things you like to do, you can fast, and you can spend the time you would be spending doing whatever that thing is reading God's word, praying, etc.

Again, I've never fasted before, but I just thought I'd let you know. XD;
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby andi » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:08 pm

If you feel like you've failed at it, do it again! Just keep doing it. It's ok if you don't always make it to dinnertime. Some day you will! And each time, it should become easier, because you'll be able to psychologically build yourself up. I'm at that point too. I was never able to make it past lunch, but I've been encouraged to do it again, despite my 'failure'.
andi

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:00 pm

While I wouldn't feel comfortable calling myself a fasting expert, I am probably familiar enough with the discipline to be able to help somewhat. Unless you refer to fasts longer than a week, which I have not yet attempted.

If you have specific questions, please ask. But as for general advice, I can probably offer some of that as well. Initially, according to your profile you're 16. That means you shouldn't attempt a very long fast; three days would probably be plenty. Generally speaking for the first few days you aren't really hungry, you just think you are. Then for a few days you feel sluggish and bad because your body is purging toxins, after which you feel much better. About a week later you start feeling real hunger, which I am blessed enough to have never experienced. So keep this in mind if you're trying to fast while in school.

Don't binge-eat the day before a fast. Just eat healthy food in normal amounts. Then during the day, make sure that you have worthwhile things to do. Depending on why you are fasting, that could be a lot of prayer and study, or just enjoyable activities. For me, at least, not eating meals messes up my schedule and I have to focus to avoid wasting a lot of time.

Any specific questions? I'll answer if I can.
uc pseudonym

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:51 am

I tried fasting once, and it was tough. Since you're young, my advice would be not to go without food completely. Skipping 2 meals for the day is fine. Believe me, I nearly passed out from going without food for almost 24 hours and having nothing in me but water.

Another thing: Fasting doesn't have to mean giving up food.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth