The Necklace

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

The Necklace

Postby Ashley » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:23 pm

Sounds like a cheesy chick film doesn't it? Instead, I promise you the tale of one of the most important days in my life, and a definate moment of faith second only to my conversion.

Because I had a brush with death today. Two, to be precise.

As many of you know, I was invited to speak at Oni-Con this weekend. To my great delight, a member from Austin drove 2 and a half hours to be there and hear me speak. Daniel and I (he can reveal his screename if he so chooses, but it's easier to refer to him like this) ended up hanging out all weekend, eating together and going to various places around Houston. After the panel this morning, we decided to head out towards the Galleria, a big mall in houston with an ice rink. It was pouring down rain in droves, but I was fairly cautious.
I began to lose control of my car. It just sort of happened--I didn't do anything brave or stupid, but I felt my car begin to weave wildly. In my mind, I was hearing my father tell me I need new tires. Then I'm spinning, looking at the freeway and the cars coming at me, spinning in a way that makes you sick and holding the brakes down and steering with the spin. I didn't even have time to breathe a prayer--it was over in seconds. My car was halfway onto the feeder road, half onto a median, and we had spun across 3 lanes of traffic within inches of the guard rail. Shaken, we asked if the other was ok. I had to turn my car off, then back on again, and move to a parking lot nearby. Daniel got out and checked the car--grass was sticking out everywhere. I couldn't help but stare at the freeway, shocked and sick to my stomach at what had just happened to me. And suddenly, I knew without a doubt that if God had not been with me, I would have died. Not only that, I could have killed Daniel too. I began to shake and cry, stress and shock compounding on the other. When we got into the car again, we prayed a heartfelt, emotional thanksgiving for sparing our lives. My car was undamaged, though we checked it throughout the day for oil leaks. I still remember Daniel looking under my hood in the rain, making sure everything was ok since I knew nothing about cars. We tried to make light of it, tried to talk about what it meant spiritually, and then eventually tried to forget about it. We hung out at Barnes and Noble--I writing my english paper, he studying Kant over frappucinos. We saw Friday Night Lights and enjoyed a good movie about a sport we loved and the kind of Texas towns we grew up in. I was driving back to the hotel and hit a lot of traffic. I slowed my car to a cautious stop, when WHAM! From behind I felt a thud. In that moment, I wanted to sob. Just when I thought my day, week, month, life couldn't get any worse---now I had been rear ended. I had just finished telling Daniel how I couldn't afford to get into a wreck because of insurance rates, and that even if I did I needed my car desperately--no one is around to take me to school or work, so I couldn't afford to have my car in the shop for a week. With tears biting my eyes, we pulled over to the shoulder and got out. It wasn't bad--the frame wasn't bent, but great gashes of white stuck out with smears of a lighter green from the other car. I looked onto the freeway, the other driver looked back at me from a beat up Toyota. I looked at the license plates, and motioned for him to come over to swap insurance and information. Instead he panicked and drove off. Furious and frustrated, I scribbled down the license plates and began to cry. It just wasn't fair! What had I done to deserve the hellish week I had lived through, only to be topped by two near deadly wrecks. In the kind of traffic I was in, had that car behind me been going much faster we would have sandwiched between two cars very easily, if not more.

Never in my life have I been so shaken up, and I cried. Bless his heart, Daniel would pat my shoulder and try to make me feel better about things, sharing hurts from his own life. The rest of the way, we talked about what this meant and how things will always work out for the good even when we can't see them.

I pulled into his hotel, and he asked me to park. "I've got something for you." I expected a big bear hug, and indeed I got a very warm one, but he had something else too. Earlier at the con I had commented on his beautiful beaded necklace, and how much I liked it. He now held that grayish-blue and khaki necklace in his hand. "Here, this is for you."
Of course I protested, naturally. "Oh no, I couldn't" and so forth. But eventually, I couldn't help but take it. We had been through so much together in the 2 days we had spent together, and here he was offering me his shoulder whenever he needed it. After a fairly reluctant goodbye, I got in my car and exhaled. I was a little scared to drive home--nightfall, and an hour's drive south when I had already driven 6 hours straight this weekend. But I had his necklace in my hand, and quietly praying, I put it around my rear view mirror. And there it will stay, to remind me of God's undeniable existance, hand in my life, His great power and even greater love for me. It will be my constant reminder that even when I think things cannot get much worse, when I don't understand why life is the way it is, that God is in control and nothing is big enough to interfere with His plan for me.
Ashley

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:26 pm

Ah... thank you very much for sharing. I'm glad you're okay and actually better for the experience. And good job, Daniel, whoever you may be.
uc pseudonym

Postby Shinja » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:14 pm

wow, im gald your allright,
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby RoyalWing » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:03 pm

Ashley, that must have been so frightening and frustrating. I am so happy that you are alright! And that God stayed with you. ^-^ Your stories give many courage to me. Thank you so much for sharing it!
RoyalWing

Postby EireWolf » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:19 pm

Thanks for sharing that, Ashley. I'm glad you're both okay. :hug:

That's very scary... God was definitely with you.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby true_noir_chloe » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:35 am

Ashley I am so thankful you're okay. :hug: That is so weird, I had a similar accident, where I crossed four lanes on an L.A. freeway and got hit by two trucks and walked away. It's that feeling that God has totally just "saved" you that is so overwhelming. I'm sure you felt His hand right on you through that. Wow, thanks for sharing this so much. I'm sorry you had to go through such a trying day, however. God has such special plans for you. ;)

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby agasfas » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:45 pm

First off let me say I'm so glad your doing/feeling much better today. It has been a crazy filled weekend with some interesting twists (literally). Sometimes things happen that we cannot comprehend, but there is always a reason for everything. God has his reasons. Perhaps making us stronger as a person: spiritally and/or emotionally. To be honest I can't really say what it is exactly, but one day eveything will be explained. To be honest, I wouldn't take back one second of this weekend. You may have seen it having it's downsides, but for me I don't see that at all. I met a really awesome person that I can easily relate and talk to. Someone I can honestly consider a true loyal friend, and someone who puts herself before others. That I consider admirable. But everyone goes through tough times, even Jesus. Before he was arrested to be crucified he prayed for guidance; he didn't quite understand why he had to do this but he had faith and that everything has it reasons. He never sinned a day in his life, but he still died. He died to save everyone. So be strong Ashley, keep your head high and continue to look forward. I shall pray that God takes care of you.
And if anyone hasn't figured it out yet, ther person Ashley was refering to was me.
Just keep smiling. :P
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby true_noir_chloe » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:08 pm

I actually knew that, Daniel - believe it or not. ^__^ I am very thankful you are all right, as well. Thank the Lord for both of you. :hug:

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Ashley » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:58 pm

As a follow-up, I did end up telling my parents about things and they were both far more concerned/grateful I was alive. I spent extra time yesterday telling my family how much I loved them. This morning at church, I ended up telling the sunday school class my mom and I go to about what happened, and they were all pretty deeply moved by it too. One of the older ladies came up to me aftewards and gave me a huge hug and said she just wanted me to know she was so glad I was ok. As for the study itself today, it had a huge impact on me---Romans 2:4 was underlined and dated in my bible this morning. "Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?" I realized this morning how far I had let myself slide as of late and that I not only fully deserved what happened, but that God's great kindness was indeed a call to repent of some things in my own life. A wakeup call that if Saturday hadn't happened, I'm not sure when it would have. I realize why He let things happen now--at least partially--and rejoice at the outcome and the strengthening of my faith because of it. That wasn't my immediate answer, of course, and I know I still have a LOT to work on, but it's renewed by reason for doing so, you know?
Ashley

Postby Gypsy » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:07 pm

Ashley wrote:Sounds like a cheesy chick film doesn't it? Instead, I promise you the tale of one of the most important days in my life, and a definate moment of faith second only to my conversion.

Because I had a brush with death today. Two, to be precise.

As many of you know, I was invited to speak at Oni-Con this weekend. To my great delight, a member from Austin drove 2 and a half hours to be there and hear me speak. Daniel and I (he can reveal his screename if he so chooses, but it's easier to refer to him like this) ended up hanging out all weekend, eating together and going to various places around Houston. After the panel this morning, we decided to head out towards the Galleria, a big mall in houston with an ice rink. It was pouring down rain in droves, but I was fairly cautious.
I began to lose control of my car. It just sort of happened--I didn't do anything brave or stupid, but I felt my car begin to weave wildly. In my mind, I was hearing my father tell me I need new tires. Then I'm spinning, looking at the freeway and the cars coming at me, spinning in a way that makes you sick and holding the brakes down and steering with the spin. I didn't even have time to breathe a prayer--it was over in seconds. My car was halfway onto the feeder road, half onto a median, and we had spun across 3 lanes of traffic within inches of the guard rail. Shaken, we asked if the other was ok. I had to turn my car off, then back on again, and move to a parking lot nearby. Daniel got out and checked the car--grass was sticking out everywhere. I couldn't help but stare at the freeway, shocked and sick to my stomach at what had just happened to me. And suddenly, I knew without a doubt that if God had not been with me, I would have died. Not only that, I could have killed Daniel too. I began to shake and cry, stress and shock compounding on the other. When we got into the car again, we prayed a heartfelt, emotional thanksgiving for sparing our lives. My car was undamaged, though we checked it throughout the day for oil leaks. I still remember Daniel looking under my hood in the rain, making sure everything was ok since I knew nothing about cars. We tried to make light of it, tried to talk about what it meant spiritually, and then eventually tried to forget about it. We hung out at Barnes and Noble--I writing my english paper, he studying Kant over frappucinos. We saw Friday Night Lights and enjoyed a good movie about a sport we loved and the kind of Texas towns we grew up in. I was driving back to the hotel and hit a lot of traffic. I slowed my car to a cautious stop, when WHAM! From behind I felt a thud. In that moment, I wanted to sob. Just when I thought my day, week, month, life couldn't get any worse---now I had been rear ended. I had just finished telling Daniel how I couldn't afford to get into a wreck because of insurance rates, and that even if I did I needed my car desperately--no one is around to take me to school or work, so I couldn't afford to have my car in the shop for a week. With tears biting my eyes, we pulled over to the shoulder and got out. It wasn't bad--the frame wasn't bent, but great gashes of white stuck out with smears of a lighter green from the other car. I looked onto the freeway, the other driver looked back at me from a beat up Toyota. I looked at the license plates, and motioned for him to come over to swap insurance and information. Instead he panicked and drove off. Furious and frustrated, I scribbled down the license plates and began to cry. It just wasn't fair! What had I done to deserve the hellish week I had lived through, only to be topped by two near deadly wrecks. In the kind of traffic I was in, had that car behind me been going much faster we would have sandwiched between two cars very easily, if not more.

Never in my life have I been so shaken up, and I cried. Bless his heart, Daniel would pat my shoulder and try to make me feel better about things, sharing hurts from his own life. The rest of the way, we talked about what this meant and how things will always work out for the good even when we can't see them.

I pulled into his hotel, and he asked me to park. "I've got something for you." I expected a big bear hug, and indeed I got a very warm one, but he had something else too. Earlier at the con I had commented on his beautiful beaded necklace, and how much I liked it. He now held that grayish-blue and khaki necklace in his hand. "Here, this is for you."
Of course I protested, naturally. "Oh no, I couldn't" and so forth. But eventually, I couldn't help but take it. We had been through so much together in the 2 days we had spent together, and here he was offering me his shoulder whenever he needed it. After a fairly reluctant goodbye, I got in my car and exhaled. I was a little scared to drive home--nightfall, and an hour's drive south when I had already driven 6 hours straight this weekend. But I had his necklace in my hand, and quietly praying, I put it around my rear view mirror. And there it will stay, to remind me of God's undeniable existance, hand in my life, His great power and even greater love for me. It will be my constant reminder that even when I think things cannot get much worse, when I don't understand why life is the way it is, that God is in control and nothing is big enough to interfere with His plan for me.
Dude I'm glad your ok...oh by the way it's Becca...I love you and am glad to hear you are still safe in God's loveing arms. Thank you Dan for being there for her! Keep Safe
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Zane » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:14 pm

Wow, what a weekend.... gee Im glad you guys are okay and thanks for filling us in about what happened to you Ashley, God really had a hand in there hey :) I am glad we have a God who loves us for who we are and is more than willing to save our sorry butts eternally and 'here and now'. God Bless.
Zane

Postby Keely » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:21 pm

Oh my, and now I feel even MORE guilty about being too busy running the con to have lunch with you!

*falls over*

I'm SO glad you're alright! *hugs*

Btw, our panel rocked, I hope the attendees got as much out of it as I did. Very encouraging. There were a lot of people that told me later they wished they could've gone. I'm gonna get that on the schedule for next year too...try to get a better time slot this time ;)
Love it seems made flying dreams so hearts could soar . . .
Keely

Postby Ashley » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:45 pm

Nah, it's ok Keely, I would have felt even worse if you had been in the car too. I had a blast with the panel too, and I was excited to see so many show up. I'd love to help out next year as well--although if it's possible could we move it further south? :sweat:

Anyway, if you do it again definately let me know because I'd love to speak again.
Ashley

Postby Swordguy » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:03 pm

well i am learning that too.....

James 1
2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

"Bring on the storms...My DADDY know the way thru"

glad to hear you had this blessing in your life
I used to "Follow" Him because i had to....now i would give everything to follow Him.

Me check it out!

Quest for the True Grail

rei wrote:"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."

[quote="The forgoten"] .â€
Swordguy

Location: The Largest chunk of concrete these united states know.

Postby Saint Kevin » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:27 pm

Wow Ashley. Every so often I am blown away by God's love and grace, and by His providence that works all together for the good of His saints. I really should feel that way more often I guess...

I am so glad that you and Daniel are ok! Having cheated death from my first days of life, and having walked away without a scratch from an accident where I wrapped a Jeep Cherokee around a pole at 45 mph, I know a thing or two about the goodness of God.

Thank you for the testimony, and for the reminder that life is too continue in our rebellion against God. If indeed this was God's chastening in your life, I am glad it came without anyone getting hurt. Running from God will eventually bring down his chastening upon us, for He chastens all that He loves. I'm glad Ashley, that you didn't try to blame God for what happened, and that you weren't bitter from the experience, as sometimes can happen with events like this one.

I pray that you would be constantly reminded of the love and grace of God, and that you would continue to repent and turn away from sin as it comes into your life. I pray that your life would be marked by an earnest seeking of God, and by a faith that trusts in the providence of God.

Thank you God for your great mercy and grace.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby Keely » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:11 am

Lol, moving it farther south! Actually, we are looking for a different hotel so that is a possibility. Don't worry, it'll be up on Oni-Con page as soon as WE know what hotel it'll be at! ^_^;
Love it seems made flying dreams so hearts could soar . . .
Keely

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:21 am

=) i am glad that you are safe
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby CreatureArt » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:45 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:=) i am glad that you are safe

I aboslutely agree.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth