Blob Slayer

Projects or project ideas in the works

Blob Slayer

Postby drill » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Many of you might have clicked this, and been like "What is that?"

Well Blob Slayer is a game that I have programmed on and off for about 3 years now that had originally started as my high school programming final exam project. Over time it has developed into what it is now.

If you have time, please try my game out and tell me what you thought, comments and suggestions are both welcome as I am working on a new version now with a completely different UI.

The only requirement for it is that you need to have Java 7 installed, which can be found here: http://www.java.com/en/

If you are interested, here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?skcljdhpx6ztnsh

EDIT: I forgot to say that you need to double click the .jar file for it to run.
drill

Re: Blob Slayer

Postby anlptgtsg » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Burned some time with this game. :D Good job in programming.

It seems the games becomes slower when as you play longer and then game not responding anymore. I'm not sure if it is my pc's problem or not. I have a hard time to get arrows when I used up all the available stock(not sure if that's a good thing or not). The first big blog can only be defeated by the star skill? Since you're working in a new version, maybe a mute key would be nice for some.
anlptgtsg

Postby drill » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:34 am

anlptgtsg wrote:Burned some time with this game. :D Good job in programming.

Thanks for playing my game :D
anlptgtsg wrote:It seems the games becomes slower when as you play longer and then game not responding anymore. I'm not sure if it is my pc's problem or not.

I'm not really suprised at this since I might be maxing out your RAM :XD: This is mainly because I didn't have very efficient code when I was in high school and most of the base code is from around that time. That's why I'm rewriting it.
anlptgtsg wrote:I have a hard time to get arrows when I used up all the available stock(not sure if that's a good thing or not).

One of the main things I wanted to make sure of was that this would not happen, there are a few things you can do in this case.
1) find arrows that spawn on the ground
2) use a skill that gives you arrows (costs 20 ap if i remember correctly)
anlptgtsg wrote:The first big blog can only be defeated by the star skill?

Yes, I wanted to make sure that the player didn't just pass right through him, and perhaps the song could play completely through too. I thought that you could defeat it in easy mode without a star skill though, ill make sure to fix this in the new version.
anlptgtsg wrote:Since you're working in a new version, maybe a mute key would be nice for some.

Can't they just use the mute key on the computer? Well, I can still do this though, thanks for the advice :D
drill

Postby shooraijin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:50 pm

drill, are you cleaning up objects properly? One possibility is a memory leak that accumulates unused objects, causing Java and the computer to slow down.

Also, a security note: while we have lots of people programming lots of fun things, people should always remember to carefully check out any software they download before running it to ensure it's not a virus or a Trojan horse. Nothing personal, drill; we don't want someone nefarious coming on here and showing us their "great new game" that turns out to be an APT.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby drill » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:34 pm

shooraijin wrote:drill, are you cleaning up objects properly? One possibility is a memory leak that accumulates unused objects, causing Java and the computer to slow down.

There is no real way to clean up objects in Java, so no. Java is most likely running slow from the huge amount of global variables that I used, instead of passing objects through methods. Also, back then, I didn't use comments, so I can't just delete objects that aren't used. All of these are reasons of why I decided to recode it.
drill

Postby PandaPop » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:19 pm

drill wrote:There is no real way to clean up objects in Java, so no. Java is most likely running slow from the huge amount of global variables that I used, instead of passing objects through methods. Also, back then, I didn't use comments, so I can't just delete objects that aren't used. All of these are reasons of why I decided to recode it.

NO COMMENTS!! THE HORROR!! haha, im taking C++ right now in college and my teacher is constantly stressing the importance of comments! How fun though I am jealous that you have made a game, I can't wait to get more skilled!
PandaPop

Postby drill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:06 am

PandaPop wrote:NO COMMENTS!! THE HORROR!! haha, im taking C++ right now in college and my teacher is constantly stressing the importance of comments! How fun though I am jealous that you have made a game, I can't wait to get more skilled!

You know, I find it interesting that I have never had a programming teacher care about comments, despite how important they are. C++ is a good language, I was actually thinking about learning that since it's not too much different than Java. Also, I will have you know that most of what I know is self taught, I have been in 5 programming classes so far, and have learned maybe 10% of what I used in my game, so if you really want to get better, you might want to spend some of your free time learning this stuff.

Things that you would benefit from learning on your own time (because teachers don't go over it):
1) Graphics - this is probably the least covered topic, I think I only got taught it for about a week in one of my classes out of the five.
2) Sound - Take that back, this is the least covered topic :P, I have never had a class cover sound. Most likely, you will have to import a library to allow you to use sound files such as .mp3 or even .midi
3) Listeners - This is covered in programming classes some to get a basic idea of the topic, but not nearly enough to use for a game. Listeners, if you don't know, capture mouse movement or keyboard strokes.

That's just about it, if you need any help, feel free to PM me.
drill

Postby PandaPop » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Seriously thank you for this!! I don't know any other programmers or anyone studying programming so I haven't gotten many tips, this is extremely helpful :)
PandaPop

Postby drill » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Okay, so I have a demo of the newest version of this game if anyone is interested.

Things I removed for good:
- Skills
- 3500 lines of code
- old UI

Things expected to be in the full version:
- Title screen
- Stages
- Swords
- Fog of War stages
- Different AI patterns
- Better Pause menu
- Better music
- Smoother moving

Things added:
- new sidebar
- enemy HP is shown underneath the enemy (Somewhat like Touhou, if you have played that)
- music toggle button

Here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9j3x2 ... r3Demo.zip

To play, go into the 'dist' folder and run the 'Run.cmd' file.

Also, suggestions are still welcome!
drill

Return to New Projects and Ideas