Recent Naruto Manga (Chapters 400+)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Recent Naruto Manga (Chapters 400+)

Postby Lady Arianrod » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:35 pm

This post is just for those who would like to discuss the latest Naruto manga chapters. I particularly find that they are growing increasingly sad and dark, and there are the frequent cliff-hangers ;) .

Spoilers are welcome in this thread if you want to discuss what's going on in Naruto now.
~Life is the art of drawing without an eraser~

Lady Arianrod, lover of nature and fire.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:32 am

I suppose this is a good thread, in that we should not be discussing recent things in given threads that could be frequented by those unfamiliar with more recent parts of the series.

As I have stated elsewhere, I have become steadily more annoyed with the manga-ka, and hope he will cease stalling. He has an inordinant amount of skill in holding everything off, but at this point he is coming up short. I had expected 218 and 219 to go as they did, but 220 caught me off guard. All I know at the moment is that it is all talking in a flashback. To merit wasting an entire episode it had better be critically important.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kireihana » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:26 am

Are you talking about the state-side released chapters, or the new ones in Japan?
Kireihana

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:48 am

I refer only to the Japanese releases, and I would infer the author of this thread means the same (as the American releases have been lighthearted as of late and will continue to be so). But perhaps we should get this stated quite explicitly and placed in the original post, so there is no confusion.
uc pseudonym

Naruto Manga

Postby Lady Arianrod » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:58 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I suppose this is a good thread, in that we should not be discussing recent things in given threads that could be frequented by those unfamiliar with more recent parts of the series.

As I have stated elsewhere, I have become steadily more annoyed with the manga-ka, and hope he will cease stalling. He has an inordinant amount of skill in holding everything off, but at this point he is coming up short. I had expected 218 and 219 to go as they did, but 220 caught me off guard. All I know at the moment is that it is all talking in a flashback. To merit wasting an entire episode it had better be critically important.

I do agree with your statement... Masashi Kishimoto is stalling quite a bit. I want to find out what's going on with the other Genin, and, of course, the conclusion to the fight that we've all been reading for the past few chapters.

Sasuke is also really upsetting me. He is not the character that I used to respect at all. This storyline is generally effective in creating suspense and tense situations for the characters, but it is also a depressing change from the "old days" of ninja training with Kakashi. The show is creating evil characters out of people who used to be friends..... it's all so sad.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby blkmage » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:33 pm

And from what I gathered at the end of 220, it seems as though the next one is also flashback.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:20 pm

I'm also getting quite impatient with the recent Naruto manga chapters.

I wish Kishimoto would hurry it up and finish this story arc. After a bunch of drawn out fights in a row, I'm really not in the mood for another really lengthy one, even though it is the fight we all have been waiting for.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Psycho Ann » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:59 am

Eventhough I'm also dissapointed in the apparent stalling, I can't say that 220 is a total waste for me. There's quite a bit of information on the Uchiha in general, especially regarding them to be Konoha's protectors. And man, seeing the bond between Itachi and Sasuke just breaks my heart knowing what's going on later. (This is going to sound uncharacteristically fan-girly but... Itachi is so drool-worthy when he was young and brotherly. *insert fan-girlish swoon*)

As for the next chapter, I think Kishimoto is going to somehow reveal just why Itachi decided to do what he did. All I can say is... Kishimoto better make the impending fight between Sasuke and Naruto worth the wait and flashbacks.

Another thing off topic... it just seem funny to me how strong the gene pool is for families in Naruto. Father, son, and youngest son somehow all agreed to have that same part-in-the-middle-chin-length bangs. Also 220 has got to be one of the most inked chapters with all the black haired people wearing dark clothes.
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Lady Arianrod » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:26 pm

Psycho Ann wrote:Eventhough I'm also dissapointed in the apparent stalling, I can't say that 220 is a total waste for me. There's quite a bit of information on the Uchiha in general, especially regarding them to be Konoha's protectors. And man, seeing the bond between Itachi and Sasuke just breaks my heart knowing what's going on later. (This is going to sound uncharacteristically fan-girly but... Itachi is so drool-worthy when he was young and brotherly. *insert fan-girlish swoon*)

As for the next chapter, I think Kishimoto is going to somehow reveal just why Itachi decided to do what he did. All I can say is... Kishimoto better make the impending fight between Sasuke and Naruto worth the wait and flashbacks.

Another thing off topic... it just seem funny to me how strong the gene pool is for families in Naruto. Father, son, and youngest son somehow all agreed to have that same part-in-the-middle-chin-length bangs. Also 220 has got to be one of the most inked chapters with all the black haired people wearing dark clothes.

You're right... 220 wasn't too bad. Certain flashbacks are interesting, especially if they show another side to the characters. Maybe Itachi isn't really evil.... (or maybe that's just a hopeful thought I had).

Also, I too hope that the Sasuke vs. Naruto fight is worth it... maybe we'll see the Kyuubi or Curse Seal level 2 in action! I just hope that none of the characters die, even Sasuke.

It would be cool if Itachi shows up eventually to end this arc.

Lady Arianrod

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:26 pm

That's an idea I hadn't considered. It'd be interesting though.

I still haven't found 220. I will modify this post or repost when I have read it. However, I am glad to hear people seem to think it had redeeming qualities. Personally, I am very much hoping that Itachi does have developed motivations outside of the somewhat lame prior excuse.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:32 pm

I dunno about you, but I was happy with Chapter 220. Anything that remotely hints why Itachi did what he did is good enough for me and brings us closer to the end.

Just what is that "somewhat lame prior excuse" you're talking about now, UC? I must have missed something.

I always thought manga artists of popular titles get pressured to drag the story longer...even against their own personal will, sometimes, so the publishers can cash in more. (Well, that's what I heard about Watsuki-sama with Rurouni Kenshin). I hope Masashi-sama doesn't take too much crude from his publishers.
Mave

Postby blkmage » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:44 am

I believe that was when Sasuke found Itachi killing his parents and asked why.

Itachi said something to the likes of "Because I wanted to know if I could."
blkmage

Postby Mave » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:27 am

Oh that one.....I see, thanks! Yeah I hope for a better explanation than that.

Predictions, anyone? Just for fun. I can't think of anything intelligent at the moment.

I must say apart from looks, the attitude and personality genes running in Sasuke's bloodline show up very well too. Perhap Sasuke's dad would have been proud of Sasuke's poker face. Now I'm starting to feel for Sasuke again...Gah Masashi-sama, hurry up with it, my opinions of Sasuke keep fluctuating!

[fangirl]Ann, I wasn't really a fan of Itachi but I shall now squeal "Itachi is So Hot!!!" and swoon [/fangirl]
Mave

Naruto Predictions

Postby Lady Arianrod » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:03 am

Mave wrote:Oh that one.....I see, thanks! Yeah I hope for a better explanation than that.

Predictions, anyone? Just for fun. I can't think of anything intelligent at the moment.

I must say apart from looks, the attitude and personality genes running in Sasuke's bloodline show up very well too. Perhap Sasuke's dad would have been proud of Sasuke's poker face. Now I'm starting to feel for Sasuke again...Gah Masashi-sama, hurry up with it, my opinions of Sasuke keep fluctuating!

[fangirl]Ann, I wasn't really a fan of Itachi but I shall now squeal "Itachi is So Hot!!!" and swoon [/fangirl]

I predict that we'll find out more about Itachi's quote at the end of the chapter ("You're so far away, brother", or something to that extent). Whatever happens, it will definitely involve flashbacks.

After that, I think that Sasuke will make an anticlimactic exit. Naruto will be left standing dumbfounded, and perhaps he'll meet up with Shikamaru or Gaara and his siblings. Sasuke will disappear from the storyline, and the genin will either go back to Konoha (hopefully not), or they will band together against another foe.

Kishimoto will also hopefully bring other 'minor' characters back into the story, like Shino, Hinata, the Jounin, etc. He better not just focus on Sasuke and Naruto for the rest of the arc! :shady:

Lady Arianrod

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:13 pm

Watch him.

And yes, Mave, that was exactly the prior excuse I referred to.

Actually, I had no opportunity to read the chapter until just prior to this posting of this message. Genes do run heavily in clans...

But I will admit this chapter half-way redeemed itself in my eyes after I read it. I would have preferred there be a reason for flashing back at this point, but it will still answer questions. And I like the younger, kinder Itachi. The next chapter title seems that it will feature the day the Uchiha were slaughtered, so perhaps we will get some real answers.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:21 pm

I predict that Itachi killed the whole Uchiha clan to protect Sasuke from his own clan. How about that? Heh, but I haven't been able to rationalize that yet. I'm just hoping for a good excuse for Sasuke NOT to kill his brother.

But really, how many of you think the dreams of the Kakashi team will become true? What are the chances like, percentage wise? (These are all purely opinion based, of course)

1) Sasuke actually kills Itachi - 40% (I haven't decided whether I want this to happen because we haven't seen the real picture yet but I am also considering Sasuke's ability to kill Itachi at the moment)
2) Naruto becomes Hokage - 95% (first, the hero always gets what he wants and it's beautiful irony that the fox demon that once used to destroy the Villages, now is used to protect the villages, through Naruto as the Hokage)
3) Sakura marries Sasuke - erm...tough one, at the moment, it's very low...maybe 30%?
Mave

Postby Lady Arianrod » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:34 pm

Mave wrote:I predict that Itachi killed the whole Uchiha clan to protect Sasuke from his own clan. How about that? Heh, but I haven't been able to rationalize that yet. I'm just hoping for a good excuse for Sasuke NOT to kill his brother.

But really, how many of you think the dreams of the Kakashi team will become true? What are the chances like, percentage wise? (These are all purely opinion based, of course)

1) Sasuke actually kills Itachi - 40% (I haven't decided whether I want this to happen because we haven't seen the real picture yet but I am also considering Sasuke's ability to kill Itachi at the moment)
2) Naruto becomes Hokage - 95% (first, the hero always gets what he wants and it's beautiful irony that the fox demon that once used to destroy the Villages, now is used to protect the villages, through Naruto as the Hokage)
3) Sakura marries Sasuke - erm...tough one, at the moment, it's very low...maybe 30%?

I would find it very interesting if Itachi killed the clan to protect his brother. Such an event would definitely make me an Itachi fan ;)

I think that Sasuke should come close to killing Itachi and then finally be able to show him mercy after hearing the (possible) story of his brother actually trying to help him. That would be cool and it would change Sasuke from the little traitor that he currently is into a flawed but improved person.

I also want Naruto to become Hokage... he definitely deserves it. It's also pretty likely.

Sakura marrying Sasuke might happen if he changes. If not, then Rock Lee would be a nice candidate to win Sakura's heart :thumb: .

Lady Arianrod

Postby blkmage » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:17 pm

I think that's doubtful.

If Itachi did do it to protect Sasuke, why did he make him relive "the day?" Why did Itachi make him hate him, etc?

If that were the explanation, it'd make sense that Sasuke hates him if he doesn't know. That doesn't account for Itachi beating Sasuke into a bloody heap after they found Naruto, though.
blkmage

Naruto

Postby Lady Arianrod » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:24 pm

blkmage wrote:I think that's doubtful.

If Itachi did do it to protect Sasuke, why did he make him relive "the day?" Why did Itachi make him hate him, etc?

If that were the explanation, it'd make sense that Sasuke hates him if he doesn't know. That doesn't account for Itachi beating Sasuke into a bloody heap after they found Naruto, though.

Maybe "helping" Sasuke has to do with Itachi's twisted logic... Maybe he put his younger brother through torture to try to evoke some kind of reaction from him for some unknown reason.

Or maybe these are all groundless guesses that are based on the possibly fictional concept of Itachi wanting to help Sasuke! :P

Lady Arianrod

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:29 pm

The last seems most likely to me.

Anyway, relating to Mave's predictions:
1) I'll hold off judgement until this flashback ends, but I would rate this one pretty high; close to Naruto's dream.
2) Probably correct.
3) I'd lower the chances even more.

On that subject, however, I think chances are good that: Sakura will at least appreciate Naruto and Rock Lee and Naruto will finally notice Hinata minus his own cluelessness. Perhaps on the last one.
uc pseudonym

Naruto

Postby Lady Arianrod » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:09 am

[quote="uc pseudonym"]The last seems most likely to me.

Anyway, relating to Mave's predictions:
1) I'll hold off judgement until this flashback ends, but I would rate this one pretty high]

Do you think it's likely that Sakura will notice Rock Lee and Naruto will notice Hinata.... right now? Or would this require further development of the characters in both maturity and age before Kishimoto can introduce real romance to the plot?

That would be a good thing if the relationships were realistic... I like both of those couples.

Lady Arianrod

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:26 am

As it is easy to forget: they're all twelve and thirteen years old. I don't want any romance in the plot. Let's face it, these kids are still just kids, and they won't be able to make anything vaguely resembling a real decision about their lives for some time now. I'd actually prefer we not see said relationships anytime soon, because they would probably be doomed to eventual failure.

That having been said:
I think Sakura already appreciates Rock Lee (and Naruto) to a certain extent. As for Naruto noticing Hinata... give him ten years or so. He's maturing, but only in some ways.
uc pseudonym

naruto

Postby Lady Arianrod » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:01 am

uc pseudonym wrote:As it is easy to forget: they're all twelve and thirteen years old. I don't want any romance in the plot. Let's face it, these kids are still just kids, and they won't be able to make anything vaguely resembling a real decision about their lives for some time now. I'd actually prefer we not see said relationships anytime soon, because they would probably be doomed to eventual failure.

That having been said:
I think Sakura already appreciates Rock Lee (and Naruto) to a certain extent. As for Naruto noticing Hinata... give him ten years or so. He's maturing, but only in some ways.

You're right... these kids have been through so much, it does seem like more time has passed than just a few months. I wouldn't want any romance now either... a dramatic shonen manga wouldn't benefit from even more emotional troubles to plague its already complex characters.

Sakura does notice Lee and Naruto, but her heart is still focused on the impossible dream of getting together with Sasuke. It is fading now, but she will take some time to forget her first love. It would be unrealistic if she suddenly jumped onto Naruto or Lee after Sasuke left. I just think that in the distant future, Sakura would be more complete & happy if she was involved with someone like Lee. Naruto does need a lot of time, however. He's still focused on training, fighting, and protecting Konoha. Maybe his reward for all of that fighting will be a peaceful life as Hokage with Hinata as his wife.

That would be cute ;)... but it's still very, very far off. Like 20 years or more.

Lady Arianrod

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:09 pm

With the arrival of issue 221, I will label this flashback officially filler in my book. This one had far fewer redeeming values in my opinion; he's stretching things and he knows it. I merely hope the next one will give us some important information regarding Itachi and Sasuke's relationship.

The solitary accomplishment of this issue was making me feel sorry for Sasuke. I did sympathize with him so obviously being in his brother's shadow. This was well done, though it could have been more concisely done...
uc pseudonym

Postby Lady Arianrod » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:29 am

[quote="uc pseudonym"]With the arrival of issue 221, I will label this flashback officially filler in my book. This one had far fewer redeeming values in my opinion]

I agree. Even though Naruto is an excellent manga with good character development, a skilled manga artist/author should be able to convey emotions/situations without dragging it out so far... I think that I'll begin to lose interest if Kishimoto continues to show us similar situations in every chapter with no ultimate conclusion in sight.

Perhaps Kishimoto's merely stalling as he plans out the impending decisions that Sasuke will make.... and maybe that's a good thing. I never did like rushed conclusions, after all.

Lady Arianrod

Postby Psycho Ann » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:18 pm

Yeah, 221 was a bit draggy... Probably his editors are forcing him to draw fillers. *shrugs* I'm not complaining too much just yet--especially my fangirl side XD Next chapter's "Downfall of the Uchiha" sounds interesting though.
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.

Psycho Ann

Postby Lady Arianrod » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:51 pm

Psycho Ann wrote:Yeah, 221 was a bit draggy... Probably his editors are forcing him to draw fillers. *shrugs* I'm not complaining too much just yet--especially my fangirl side XD Next chapter's "Downfall of the Uchiha" sounds interesting though.

It does sound interesting... "Downfall of the Uchiha", eh? I wonder who's really evil in that family...

Lady Arianrod

Postby Lady Arianrod » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:16 am

Well, chapter 222 was certainly interesting. You can see the subtle changes in Itachi as he grows ever more restless... He has some good character development in this chapter as well; making him exhausted from the ANBU missions was a nice touch. Now we see Itachi as a person rather than an enigmatic force of evil, and one can see why he is beginning to grow tired of the Uchiha...

Anyone else can comment on this surprisingly good chapter if they wish...
^__^

Lady Arianrod

Postby Psycho Ann » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:01 am

Yeah, it's just progressive downhill rolling in regards to Itachi's sanity... And I just find it interesting that Kishimoto had to take some artistic liberty in showing off the Sharigan with beady eyed characters. XD Though, one can say that the Sharigan expands the pupils or something...

I've always thought Itachi had been a bit *coughunderstatementcough* insane... my opinion hasn't changed, save that now I'm starting to understand how he became insane in the first place.

Psycho Ann

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:42 am

I really disliked this chapter. Not to say that it was bad, but people who are insane in the manner Itachi is really get on my nerves. Frankly, I had hoped for better with him, but it works. By the end of all this, however, I am very much waiting for the battle between Naruto and Sasuke...

And the (theoretical) battle between Sasuke and Itachi. While I like Sasuke, the fact that he's a bit of a brat has been obnoxious. But between him and Itachi I'd go for Sasuke any day.
uc pseudonym

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews