What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby AngelSakura » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:22 pm

Rereading my 4 CCS:MOTC. First manga I ever got. :grin:
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:38 pm

Well, last week while I was on vacation, I bought and read the first three volumes of Flame of Recca, Volume 5 of Rurouni Kenshin, the first two volumes of The Kindaichi Case Files, Volume 9 of Rave Master, and Volume 1 of Bleach.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Lynx » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:41 pm

i'm reading wish
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:19 am

Just finished Hikaru No Go 1 and the rest of Shonen Jump July.... on to Prince of Tennis 1.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby AngelSakura » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:29 pm

Well, last week while I was on vacation, I bought and read the first three volumes of Flame of Recca, Volume 5 of Rurouni Kenshin, the first two volumes of The Kindaichi Case Files, Volume 9 of Rave Master, and Volume 1 of Bleach.
O.O Wow....you're loaded! Though I once bought 3 Dragonball and 3 Dragonball Z, but that was with the aid of gift cards.
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Xavier249 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:01 pm

Kokhiri Sojourn wrote:Just finished Hikaru No Go 1 and the rest of Shonen Jump July.... on to Prince of Tennis 1.

How was Prince of Tennis? and guess what, I got a "Go" board with nice stones!! Now I just need to teach someone else how to play. .. . .. .

Hmm. .. I just reread Excel Saga 1-5 and then read #6 which I just acquired. Screwy series, I still have no clue.

Re-read Shonen Jump June. . . loaned July out to friends. One piece rocks! Still have to say Naruto is a FAV, though!

Read Sister Red 2 yesterday and have been rereading #1. I really like the way the series is going, it has a lot of twists and turns.

And to top it all of I started reading stuff off of toriyamaworld.com, and am currently translating the preview in Tsubasa. . .
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

The Rise and Fall of the Dragons Moon.

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby HondaTooru » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:41 am

I'm reading the last two in "Mars." I'm also in the middle of "Vamipire Game" and "King of Hell." *** Contrary to what the titles suggest, these are both really light-hearted, innocent mangas with lots of corny jokes! Check out Toykopop.com to read descriptions. I also read "Oh my Goddess!" sometimes. Mostly because its such a cute love story and the artwork is amazing! This here is the most in-depth Oh My Goddess! website I've ever seen. http://g2g.iverse.com/AMG/Gallery/Gallery.htm
The gallery is pretty impressive. Check out the pictures of Belldandy and Holy Bell.... the hair alone looks very difficult to draw!
[align=center][align=left][color=Plum]Autumn アータム / Aki [/color] (I respond to both.) :angel:[color=MediumTurquoise][size=84]
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
[/color][/SIZE]- Ralph Waldo Emerson

[font=book antiqua][/font]
[color=PaleTurquoise]Friends, some of us have money and some of us have talent. All of us have blood [color=PaleTurquoise]and [/color]time.[/color]
Image Find your nearest blood donation center by clicking HERE.
[color=Plum]Image Sign up to find local volunteer[/color] opportunities HERE. Remember, volunteer opportunities have a wide range of time commitments. Even if you can only spare a few hours per month, there might be an organization out there who needs you!

[/align]
[/align]
HondaTooru

Postby HondaTooru » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:41 am

I'm reading the last two in "Mars." I'm also in the middle of "Vamipire Game" and "King of Hell." *** Contrary to what the titles suggest, these are both really light-hearted, innocent mangas with lots of corny jokes! Check out Toykopop.com to read descriptions. I also read "Oh my Goddess!" sometimes. Mostly because its such a cute love story and the artwork is amazing! This here is the most in-depth Oh My Goddess! website I've ever seen. http://g2g.iverse.com/AMG/Gallery/Gallery.htm
The gallery is pretty impressive. Check out the pictures of Belldandy and Holy Bell.... the hair alone looks very difficult to draw!
[align=center][align=left][color=Plum]Autumn アータム / Aki [/color] (I respond to both.) :angel:[color=MediumTurquoise][size=84]
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
[/color][/SIZE]- Ralph Waldo Emerson

[font=book antiqua][/font]
[color=PaleTurquoise]Friends, some of us have money and some of us have talent. All of us have blood [color=PaleTurquoise]and [/color]time.[/color]
Image Find your nearest blood donation center by clicking HERE.
[color=Plum]Image Sign up to find local volunteer[/color] opportunities HERE. Remember, volunteer opportunities have a wide range of time commitments. Even if you can only spare a few hours per month, there might be an organization out there who needs you!

[/align]
[/align]
HondaTooru

Postby righteous_slave » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:59 am

Rereading my growing stack of Shonen Jump, impatiently awaiting next month's issue, and rereading Trigun 1&2 when the opportunity presents itself.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:49 am

Other than all of the Shonen Jump titles...

I make an effort to get ahold of the Japanese Naruto issues. Also, I seriously read Hunter x Hunter when I can find it and Full Metal Alchemist (only four volumes, but I am actively searching for the fifth).

Other than that, basically whatever manga my library has. Regardless of the edition, generally, which is probably a bad idea.
uc pseudonym

Postby Xavier249 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:03 am

uc pseudonym wrote: I make an effort to get ahold of the Japanese Naruto issues.

How do you do that? I have a copy of an Shonen Jump from Japan and it has one short chapter of Naruto, but that's the only way I know of.
uc pseudonym wrote:Other than that, basically whatever manga my library has. Regardless of the edition, generally, which is probably a bad idea.

Why is that a bad idea? Just curious.
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:14 am

Yes, the weekly Shonen Jumps have only a single issue apiece. Though I do think that the graphic novels are out up to perhaps volume twenty. If you really, honestly think you'll buy the American Naruto or have no moral standards, there are also fantranslations galore.

It's a bad idea because I have read volume 6 or 7 of a series that I have never even seen the first volume of. Jumping into the middle of a story is not too good of a thing to do. I apologize for my obscure use of "edition."
uc pseudonym

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:00 am

Xavier249 wrote:How was Prince of Tennis? and guess what, I got a "Go" board with nice stones!! Now I just need to teach someone else how to play. .. . .. .

I'll let you know how I liked Prince of Tennis when I finish it all... but I'm still finishing it up.

Awesome about the Go board! I was looking up books on how to play it this past weekend, and I found a few, but I haven't bought one yet. You know how to play now? That in itself is an accomplishment, but of course there are many levels to mastering the game, and maybe someday I'll get there... better start with the basics though.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Xavier249 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:31 am

Kokhiri Sojourn wrote: I'll let you know how I liked Prince of Tennis when I finish it all... but I'm still finishing it up.

I will practice patience then. :)
Kokhiri Sojourn wrote: Awesome about the Go board! I was looking up books on how to play it this past weekend, and I found a few, but I haven't bought one yet. You know how to play now? That in itself is an accomplishment, but of course there are many levels to mastering the game, and maybe someday I'll get there... better start with the basics though.

Yeah, I know the rules to an extent. Tallying the score at the end still has me slightly boggled, but I can get it after some work. My best suggestion is to check out: usgo.org. They have a lot of information.

The book I have is by: William S. Cobb. I like it because it teaches you how to play the game as "First capture Go" first and then teaches you Full-fledged Go. The first person to capture a stone wins in First Capture Go, so you have to get really good at defense to win. Plus the games are quicker than full-fledged go, and you don't have to tally up who wins....

uc pseudonym wrote: It's a bad idea because I have read volume 6 or 7 of a series that I have never even seen the first volume of. Jumping into the middle of a story is not too good of a thing to do. I apologize for my obscure use of "edition."

Thanks for clearing that up. I know that feeling, jumping in the middle really confuses one, but it is kinda of a challenge. I'd probably try and find the translations, but I have enough series to work on at this time, and I don't intend to end my US Shonen Jump Subscription. I guess I will practice patience on Naruto.

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:59 pm

If you feel that way, the easiest avenue is through Narutofan. They have everything, both legal and illegal. But patience can be a good policy. Personally, I have found that the Shonen Jump people are much better translators than any fans I have seen.

Meanwhile... I'm not too sure about Prince of Tennis. Strikes me as yet another sports manga. I've read so little, however, that I cannot make a judgement upon it. Suffice it to say that the fact that the main character often has one eye missing for no real reason and it caused a running joke in my family (The Eye! THE EYE!).
uc pseudonym

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:44 pm

Xavier249 wrote:I will practice patience then. :)

Alright, I finished Prince of Tennis 1, and I must say that I highly enjoyed it. I really want to read the next Vol. now. I think that there is a lot in the characters that will be developed, and I look forward to that, and the first vol. gave a good basis for a series. Thanks, by the way, for the suggestion!

Xavier249 wrote:My best suggestion is to check out: usgo.org. They have a lot of information.

The book I have is by: William S. Cobb. I like it because it teaches you how to play the game as "First capture Go" first and then teaches you Full-fledged Go. The first person to capture a stone wins in First Capture Go, so you have to get really good at defense to win. Plus the games are quicker than full-fledged go, and you don't have to tally up who wins....

Thanks for the suggestions on the book and the site. I'll look up the site tomorrow. :thumb:
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:34 pm

I might pick up Prince of Tennis eventually. I figure that anything with that many volumes and an anime series as well has to have some reason why people like it.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby TrigunX89 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:04 pm

I'm reading Ranma 1/2 volume 1, and Rurouni Kenshin volume 5. So far, they're both really good.
TrigunX89

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:12 pm

I was at a large bookstore for a good hour two days ago, so I got a chance to read all sorts of things:
Rising Stars of Manga, Volumes 1 and 2
Bleach, Volume 1
Hellsing, Volume 2
Two other volumes of another manga I cannot remember at the moment...
uc pseudonym

Postby Angel37 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:15 pm

I'm currently collecting four different series and am hoping to add three more to my collection: Juvenile Orion (I LOVE IT!!!), X/1999, Tsubasa, and Confidential Confessions. I'd like to gather NGE and Revolutionary Girl Utena and Paradise Kiss but I dunno. Stretched for cash....
-Angel
Angel37

Postby Lynx » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:37 pm

i'm now reading fruits basket vol. 2
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:28 am

Just finished Wish...

While I liked the fact that "God" was far more godlike than most manga versions of a Western diety are, the series still bugged me overall. Stupid pathetic angels...
uc pseudonym

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:09 am

Yeah, UC, angels who commit fornication deeply disturbed me. Seriously.

Lynx wrote:i'm now reading fruits basket vol. 2

Do you like it? Oh, Furuba just makes me happy. You should really read volume 3. That's my favorite thus far, but then again-- I like every new volume best.

About a month ago I read Fruits Basket vol 3. In the last couple weeks I read DNAngel, which I loved. I just wish they would release it and Furuba in alternate cycles. Bleh. I have to wait two months for both of them. Which is deeply depressing.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:21 am

I could rant a lot longer than that (but will not do so). The ending of the series annoyed me as well, making me want to cough "deux ex machina." If I were a seventeen year old Suichiro, I'd run as fast as possible.

But remember, kids, the moral of the story is this: demons are actually good people! 99.9% of the time!
uc pseudonym

Postby Little T-chan » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:18 pm

I'm reading Fruits Baskets and Forbidden Dance...but I'm not rich so I'm still waiting to read the next volumes!!! >.<
[SIZE="6"][color="Pink"]♥ [font="Impact"]t-chan[/font]![/color][/SIZE]

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="Pink"]Everyday, it's You i live for!
Everyday, i'll follow after You!
Everyday, i'll walk with You, my Lord![/color][/SIZE][/font]
Little T-chan

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:13 pm

I got the Shonen Jump August issue in the mail this week, and am starting up on that.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Elric_kun » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:12 am

reading Bleach vol. 13, Naruto vol. 25, and Tenjo Tenge vol. 12
Elric_kun

Postby Chazz » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:46 pm

agh... I can't read backwards.
back to the punisher comics for me. that guy is so hardcore.
and in color, too ;P
Chazz

Postby emoanimechild » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:50 pm

i am reading one piece vol 3, DNAngel vol 1, kill me kiss me (just read the first volume don't know if I will continue to the next), and kenshin vol 5...thats all for now though somone told me saiyuki was good.
emoanimechild

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:20 pm

Finished up the Shonen Jump August Issue (I never read DBZ though... but everything else) today, and I am starting next on Phoenix: Dawn, the first part of Osamu Tezuka's manga, originally written in 1967. Wow, it's different from the modern look of anime, but it is amazing to think that this was one of the earliest manga. Yeah, I'm a bit excited.... :dizzy:
Kokhiri Sojourn

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews