What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby kirakira » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:58 pm

Pita-Ten. ^___^
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby Xavier249 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:29 pm

Kokhiri Sojourn wrote:Okay, I was hanging out at the local Borders, wondering what to do to pass time, so I picked up no less than Neon Genesis Evangelion vol. 1 to skim through. The series seems so controversial here and everything, so I just thought I'd see what it was all about for a bit. Well, I ended up buying the first volume. Sad to say, since then, it's been two days, and I've read through vol. three at Borders, and half of vol. 4.

Yeah oddly enough it is addictive, I read the first one at a camp about 6 years ago before I knew what manga was. . . yeah if any of you know the first one, it needs editing.

Hmm, I just got Crest of the Stars 2: Really good!! Not much violence except ship battles, but sadly it has really racy clothes occasionally and a nude picture in color, 1 page into the book.

Excel Saga 7: Continues the too-screwy-for-anyone humor. love it. Oh yeah, blood, but not much in the way of nudity or violence, just really demented humor.

Dragon Knights 15: The continuation is going great, no nudity, but a scantily dressed kitchel and demon slayings. Demon being of course really youkai. :)
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

The Rise and Fall of the Dragons Moon.

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:50 am

What is the manga version of Saiyuki like? Particularly in regard to the anime, and the in-character banter. I am seriously considering reading it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Xavier249 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:55 pm

I can vouch for a lot of in character banter, but sadly more nudity. The characters are constantly argueing. :) I have not seen any of the anime so I am pretty useless at this point, sorry.
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:59 pm

It isn't an issue of more nudity but of its very presence (at least through 16 episodes of the series). There isn't any in the anime. Could you be more specific as to what exists in the manga?
uc pseudonym

Postby Xavier249 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:08 pm

the hermaphrodite(sp?) Shows up fairly often with detailed breasts. . . yuck. I was told by a friend that that doesn't show up in the anime. Basically demons that have "enlarged chest areas. ." "bare it all" fairly often . . . Yeah, but I have only read the first 3 and by the thrid the hermaphrodite wasn't showing up so it wasn't a problem. .

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Lynx » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:12 pm

i just finished volume 1 of marmalade boy, and volume 1 of alice 19th. i'm reading alice 19th volume 2 now:)
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby RoyalWing » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:31 pm

I am reading... actually, I have stopped ordering comic books at this point because I have to save up my money.

I guess I could say I am following:
- "GALS!" by Mihona Fuji,
-"Urukyu" by Nami Akimoto,
-"Fruits Basket" by Natsuki Takaya (vol. 14 came out in Japan! ^-^),
-"Cat's World" by OKAMA,
-"Imadoki!" by Yuu Watase.

But I am too short on money for now to continue collecting the books. I think I'll wait until September to order again. ^-^
RoyalWing

Postby PaladinBlue » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:35 pm

Kokhiri Sojourn wrote:Okay, I was hanging out at the local Borders, wondering what to do to pass time, so I picked up no less than Neon Genesis Evangelion vol. 1 to skim through. The series seems so controversial here and everything, so I just thought I'd see what it was all about for a bit. Well, I ended up buying the first volume. Sad to say, since then, it's been two days, and I've read through vol. three at Borders, and half of vol. 4.

That's what Eva does to you, and I'll leave it at that.
PaladinBlue

Postby Kkun » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:45 pm

I'm currently reading Ultimate Spider-Man. Wait, um, I guess that doesn't count. >_>; It's awesome though. I'm also reading Azumanga Daioh. Very cool.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:54 am

I read the first volume of Furuba, and it's pretty cool :) I want to read the others now of that series.
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:45 am

Yes, read them. Best manga in creation, IMHO. I'm just quivering in anticipation of the release of the next volume.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Xavier249 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:35 am

Indigo_Eyes wrote:I read the first volume of Furuba, and it's preet cool :) I want to read the other now of that series.

What's it like?

*very interested. . . :)*

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:13 pm

Oh, Xavier, Fruits Basket= Furuba. It's a really confusing abbreviation.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:57 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you Xavier, it's sorta-well known among Fruits Basket fans (at least all of the ones I've met online). Btw, I read volume two today ^^ I'm definitely gonna continue on in the series.
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Xavier249 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:06 pm

um m m . . . . why did I not know that. . . :eh:

*haven't read Fruits basket yet.. . . :sweat: .*

It's kinda like how the japanese call rurouni kenshin, ruroken. Got it. :)

I know furuba is good, just haven't done anything more than look at. . . kinda shoujo-ed out at the moment. I watched all of season 1 of Fushigi Yugi. . . .
*Yes, I am a guy. Why was I watching fushigi yugi? umm . . *
*When I come up with a good explanation I will let you know. . .*
*REally though, I am just plain an anime nut, so do I need a reason? :)*

It was okay. . not too much on the bad end of things, just nudity. :eh: wait did I say not too much . . . yeah there was too much. Well. now that I am completly off of manga I am reading. . . as in THE TOPIC.

i am reading Crest/Banner of the stars 1 and 2. Very good, except there is some really strangely clad girls in the first one, and a looong bathing scene. No details, just the "putty doll" style of nudity. But still not good.
Number 2 has a colored nude picture of the captain from the backside, only one page into it. Other than that, there is almost no cussing, maybe a c--- or too, so it is relatively clean, and it has a cute love story. :thumb:

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:32 pm

I want to read the Crest of the Stars a lot-I have ever since I heard about the anime (which was before the manga was decided to be liscensed). Lol, even I didn't watch/read Fushigi Yugi, but mostly for me it was b/c of the having to gather the people for the 'gods' or w/e.

If you get back into the shoujo mode ever I would recommend Shishun Shiteru Kai! ( dgt.glowie.com ) or W Pinch
( http://www.mangaproject.cjb.net ) by Azuki Ryo. I love that mangaka's mangas!! They're not too bad in my opinion, a few 'd' words sometimes. The story's are soo cool and kawaii though-I luff it :D

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Xavier249 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:01 pm

*Back in SHoujo mode. . . boy that was fast!*

W pinch special. Is that all they have? It rocks!!! Same person who made kodocha, right?

What was the other one. . . I couldn't find it. Sorry.

EDIT: didn't notice the other link in my rush. . . hmm sorry.

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Elric_kun » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:43 pm

reading Ikkitousen vol. 3, Tsubasa vol. 3, and Fullmetal Alchemist vol. 8 ^^
Elric_kun

Postby Ducky » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:02 pm

Ruruoken 2, Tsubasa 1 and xxxHolic 1
Ducky

Postby Kesshin » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:56 pm

I just finished the first volume of Fruits Basket. It was my first shoujo manga.

I didn't really like it all that much, to be honest. It was good and all, but not really to my tastes. The guys are cute, though. *grin*
"Consider the lilies of the field. They neither sew nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these. If God so clothes the grass, which is in the field one day and cast into the oven the next, how much more will he clothe you, o ye of little faith?
-Luke 12:27-28

-CAA's official writing shinobi.

"Mostly I write action/adventure, and while I dislike romance, I seem to end up doing it and I've been told I do so well. To that I give a cliche "Feh.""
-uc pseudonym
Kesshin

Postby Xavier249 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:21 pm

Hey ducky and elric_kun, what did you think of them?
Personally I really like xxxholic and Tsubasa. They rock because I am a mega fan of CLAMP (who isn't. . .? ), but also because I love the previous in kanji. :)

Ikkitousen vol. 3 umm never heard of it, what's it about?

Full metal alchemist is really good too. The story is funny. . but what do you think of it?

Ruroken. . . man that is a series I really need to read. After all, I have the entire TV series. whatdja think?

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Chibikyo » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:07 pm

I'm reading Bleach vol 1. right now
Chibikyo

Location: A place where the sun shines on the tree covered hills

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:35 pm

Elric_kun... where's your Fullmetal Alchemist coming from? Considering it isn't in America that makes it a pretty rare commodity.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:45 pm

I recieved Shonen Jump - September issue in the mail today.

I thought it was a good issue, although I'm seriously wishing that they would have more variety in the covers.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Xavier249 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:54 pm

MasterDias wrote:I recieved Shonen Jump - September issue in the mail today.

I thought it was a good issue, although I'm seriously wishing that they would have more variety in the covers.

yeah they have been a little repetetive. . . Hmm. . I haven't received mine yet. . oh well. Soon then at the very least. :)

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Ducky » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:23 pm

The Ruroken manga is really good, I watched most of the anime and still find that manga interesting. As to tsubasa and xxxHolic I haven't finished 'em yet but so far so good... I went a little crazy buying manga this week and I now have a huge pile to read lol
Ducky

Postby fayefaye » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:01 am

I'm reading Trigun#1 right now.I'm not far off into it yet
fayefaye

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:53 am

Yes, sadly all that site has is the special of W Pinch. But since you like it so much I'll tell you where to get the first two chapters - http://certhy.mircx.com/ -yep, that pic at the top is of W Pinch ^^ Just thinking of Azuki Ryo's (the mangaka) works makes me happy. Again, dgt.glowie.com has Shishun Shiteru Kai! byt her, and they just came out with chapter 5 of it-because I just came back from church camp (it was awesome, btw) I haven't had the chance to read it but I will in a moment ^^

About the first site I gave you, the files are on ftp so unless you have a ftp client you can't dl them. I didn't have a ftp client before but I dl-ed a free one here http://www.netants.com/en/index.html After you dl the client you can dl the first two chapters of W Pinch at the first site.

Chapters three and four are also out, but mnot for direct download-you can get it from the mangaproject (scanlation group doing it) irc channel or you can email me (check my profile) and I'll send them to you that way (if you still want to continue the series and if your email account will let me).

Indigo_Eyes

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:00 am

Once more, I am reading Fullmetal Alchemist. As usual, it is very good, if somewhat disturbing at times.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews