What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Xavier249 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:09 pm

Lynx wrote:i just finished shirahime-syo. wow. great manga!

YAY! must get . . . .must get. .. must get. . . . . . umm that is after I get Juvenille orion 3! sorry JO fans.. . I still don't have it. . :sweat: :sweat:

Reading. . . umm what am I reading. . . currently in the midst of Saiyuki 1. . . interesting, not yet one I really like, but it has it's plusses. :)
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

The Rise and Fall of the Dragons Moon.

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:05 am

Wow.....I think there should be a manga review page on this site along with the anime one.....

Ok, so there are A LOT of mangas that I'm reading right now, licensed and unlicensed, and there are some manga that I really want to start reading:) First of all I'll start off with the unlicensed.

Unlicensed**
Aoi Spice (just finished reading the last chapter of the series)
Afuta Sukuru (After School)
Akuma de Sourou
Bokura ga Ita
Brilliant Magic (no, not that type of magic, it meant the 'magic' of her beauty transformation-lol, yes, I like shoujo very much ;) )
Dice(no, it doesn't really have to do w/ gambling)
Eden no Hana
Gapz garden
Hana Meguri Goyô
Handsome Girlfriend
It's Love
Kekkon Shiyô yo! (Let's Get Married!) (I' don't know if I'll continue this one)
Koi Suru 1/4
La Corda d'Oro
A Love For Sweet Things
Mekakushi No Kuni(soon to be licensed by DC Comics)
Merupuri: The Marchen Prince
Nadeshiko (Nadesico Club)
Nagatachou Strawberry
Nine Puzzle
Parfait Tic!
Platinum Garden
Skip Beat!
Shishun Shiteru Kai!
Sleeping Beauty
Suna no Tiara
W Pinch!
Yume Chu

licensed**
Cyber Idol Mink
DNAngel
Fruits Baskets
Girl Got Game

liscensed ones I want to read**
The Flower of Deep Sleep
Princess Ai
Ruroni Kenshin(!!)
The Seikai Trilogy
The Queen's Knight

The number of unlicensed manga that I want to read is...a lot so I won't put it here.
I've also finished a lot of other unlicensed and licensed so it didn't put that here either.....yes, I know that I read a lot of manga, mostly shoujo, but the reason why there's practically no shounen manga here is b/c most of the shounen manga I've tried to read just didn't interest me, had enough curse words in it to make me stop reading it, or had some other disturbing thing in it :( The other reason is that I like shoujo a lot :) If any of the unlicensed titles interest you, you can pm about it and I can give you a summary about it and a link to where you can read it.

Edit: I am now reading World's end Fairytale too-and it's shonen!! Wow!! ;)
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:37 pm

You should definitely read Fruits Basket. It's incredible. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Most everybody's read it.

Shounen-ai in DNAngel? That's certainly surprising. Between what characters?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby panegryst » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:28 pm

currently reading:

unlicensed:
NGE: Iron Maiden (not very good, but it's clean, and it looks like it's getting better)

licensed:
NGE
FLCL

I just got into manga recently...

planning on buying:
More NGE
Azumanga Daioh
Akira
DNAngel
KareKano
"Reason is the Devil's harlot."
-Martin Luther

I'll stand for nothing less
Or never stand again
-Chevelle, 'The Clincher'

Image Image
panegryst

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:03 pm

panegryst wrote:NGE: Iron Maiden (not very good, but it's clean, and it looks like it's getting better)

What's that? Is it a sequel or a prequel-- er, something in between? Does it have the same characters?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby kirakira » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:10 pm

>>DNAngel (might discontinue b/c there are a couple of shounen-ai references later on-I've read to volume 4 online)

Seriously?! *turns around and glares at the table and it bursts into flames* Does it get bad? Gack! It was so good! *flops onto the floor and roasts*

*cough* I'm reading One Piece. It took forever to convince my parents to let me read it. TroutNinja recommended it to me a loooong time ago on another site. I like it. ^^ It's funny.
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby panegryst » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:15 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:What's that? Is it a sequel or a prequel-- er, something in between? Does it have the same characters?

It's neither a sequel or a prequel. It is set in the 'alternate universe' shown briefly at the end of the Eva series, and is (so far, at least) all about Shinji's, Rei's, and Asuka's relationships. Yes, all the characters are still there. There isn't any fanservice or even any, um, oversized female anatomy. So I'm going to keep reading. You can get scanlations at http://www.adtrw.org/loveeva.php
"Reason is the Devil's harlot."
-Martin Luther

I'll stand for nothing less
Or never stand again
-Chevelle, 'The Clincher'

Image Image
panegryst

Postby Jasdero » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:52 pm

i'm reading fruits basket, fushigi yugi, ceres, mars, and peach girl. ^_^ wow... lots of bishoujo[? shojo?]....hee, didn't realize that before. how embarassing.. V_V
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:54 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Shounen-ai in DNAngel? That's certainly surprising. Between what characters?

There's nothing concrete yet-it just made a reference near the end of volume four. The cold, blond dude that tries to catch Dark(sorry I forgot his name-Satoshi maybe?) was in a well with Risa and Risa mentions that they both love Dark in their own way, and he replies yes. Normally, I wouldn't think much of it except I earlier in the manga series(forgot which volume-1st? 2nd? sorry, lol, I don't pay too much attention to those things) Daisuke's best friend (a guy named Takeshi I think) hugged him and had like a heart symbol nearby and Daisuke had to remind him that it was a shoujo manga ( there were a couple of other similar instances like that). Also, I had read something that mentioned DNAngel and about the best friend liking Daisuke (in the opinion of that article's author).....if it wasn't for that and some of the things that article pointed out I probably wouldn't have noticed anything at all. I don't think anything will really come of it I just don't like it :(
Sorry if my explaining sounds undescriptive it's hard for me to explain things.
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Xavier249 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:45 pm

KOWAI!! Taihen!! (Scary/frightening) (Terrible..)

Hmm, I'll probably still like it if I get to read it. :) After all it can't come as close to yaoi as Tokyo Babylon.. . . . . :sweat:
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby fayefaye » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:25 pm

i've started trigun#1
fayefaye

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:53 am

And about KareKano.....please read this thread http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=565&page=1&pp=10 I found out that the two main characters have sexual relations later on and it discusses it there and if it's still a worthwhile read/watch. I decided to stop reading it-thankfully I only read up to volume 2.

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Xavier249 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:45 pm

kare kano? Sad.. . .

News!! I have Juvenille Orion 3!!!! YAY!! I liked it, hmm . . . . but I don't mind violence at all. See the JO thread soon for more info...

I also started Chrno Crusade today. It rocks!!! Rosette reminds me of someone I know. . . . :P not telling who! :P Yeah the christian symbolism and portrayal of demons is more than off, but oh well. I still like it mostly because I gave up reffering to them as demons in anime. More like psuedo demons. :)

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:31 am

I finished up Phoenix:Dawn, and it was good. I mean, part of it was that the content was a bit worse than I was expecting, and that kind of set me off. It was still good, but there was a basic humanistic message at the end, and to me that is very typical. Still, I did enjoy it and thought there was a lot to the manga.

The day I finished that, I went to the store, and found Prince of Tennis v. 2!! He he, I read it on the way home (mom was driving), and if any of you guys read the first one, the second one is far superior, even though I really liked the first one. What a great manga so far!
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby ally-san » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:46 pm

Kare Kano!!!!!! :rock:
ally-san

Postby ally-san » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:47 pm

i just like the little rocker icon..... :rock:
ally-san

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:04 pm

*Claps on hand cuffs* I'm sorry Ally, but it's off to double poster's prison for you! J/K.

Right not I'm rereading Furuba. YAY! And DNAngel.

Mangafanatic

Just Started Reading Mangas

Postby Shinjuma » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:28 pm

I just started reading a few mangas my friend let me borrow.
Real Bout Highschool 1-3
Love Hina 1-14
Comic Part 1
Negima 1 (same as author an Love Hina)

If you know of any good mangas to read, please pm me. :thumb:
Shinjuma

Postby Xavier249 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:02 pm

Forgive my prying but what did you(Shinjuma) think of those series? Or have you not finished reading them yet.

Real bout high school is one of my favs. See Signature..... :)

But I don't know much about comic party. Is it good?

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:06 pm

Oh, Real Bout High School. Never actually read that one. I guess I just sorta hopped over it cause I thought I heard once that it was really fanservice-y. Maybe I was hallucinating. So, what's it like?

Mangafanatic

Postby Xavier249 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:35 pm

*Leans over and feels like he is opening a can of worms*

Yeah, SG:RBHS(Samurai Girl: Real bout high school) is a little fan-servicy, but not in the way you would expect. There are only 1-2 gratuitus panty shots, but sadly there is a hot-springs scene that lasts 5-6 pages!! It also has a lot of violence and characters whose bra size could not be kept a consistent size by the artist. Yeesh. . . . I just made almost all of you want to have nothing to do with it, right?

Reasons why I like it: It has so many fighting cliches and characters. Ryoko is your typical champion fighter with her rival, Azumi. Plus they have their love-interest Tatsuya and the ever annoying mortal enemy of the main character, Shizuma. Then there is hitomi who is your intelligent glasses girl who is loyal to the champion, and daisuke, loyal to Shizuma yet the resident paparrazzi of Ryoko.

There is a lot of street-style fighting, sanctioned by the school. The name of these fights is K-fight. K is for Kenka which means fight in japanese so literally translated, Fight-Fight. One of my favorite things in the series though is how passionate Ryoko is about being a "fighter for justice" despite no one really thinking such a thing is possible. The love-interests in this story are really good/cliche. Yeesh if I say much more I will ruin it :)

In case you are wondering, yes I am fond of cliches, just like Crim of .hack//sign.

Ok one more thing I guess, the fighting has insane things like fire and almost "chi" like attacks, but it has them explained in a way that makes them really plausible.

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby glitch1501 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:53 pm

tsubasa resovior chronicles
naruto
planetes

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Xavier249 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:58 pm

glitch1501 wrote:tsubasa resovior chronicles
naruto
planetes

Fanboy rant :rant: : I really like Tsubasa!!!! Sakura-chan is sooooo kawaiii (cute!).

Naruto rocks too, but for non-fanboy reasons. I really like Naruto's whole struggle to overcome the odds.

Planetes? um m m what? not sure. . what is it about?

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Ichigo_89 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:31 am

Currently reading FLCL Vol.1-2
It's very strange, but the mecha is really cool and the art is very original, so I like it. Wish I could say the same about the whacked out story.....
Ichigo_89

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:03 am

Xavier249 wrote:
Planetes? um m m what? not sure. . what is it about?

Um, from what I understand, it's about about a space garbage man who dreams of doing bigger things with his life than be a space garbage man. Despite the seemingly hopeless chance of there being anything worthwhile about this manga-- I've heard it's really good. Go figure. (I haven't read it beacuase I can't stand the art style, but if I like the style it's drawn in I would have read it already.)

Mangafanatic

Postby kirakira » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:04 pm

Gundam Wing. XD

Planetes...I think I picked that up once...I didn't get it though. I don't remember why.
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby Ducky » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:58 pm

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles... and waiting anxiously for more Naruto and Furuba to come out.
Ducky

Postby teepanee » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:00 pm

I've recently read Kodocha vol. 1-9 this last weekend. O_O It's a comedy/romance/drama manga.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.
They will soar like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."

[size=75]Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/SIZE]
teepanee

Postby martinloyola » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:06 pm

just began reading Fruits Basket and the reg Trigun manga, i feel like every cent was well spent!!!!!!
Vash: In the end...he just couldn't kill a man in cold blood. His daughter's murder goes unpunished. Call him weak, but...it saved both of us.

want to tell your fantasy or science fiction story and need help, try here :cool:

Headbangers United :rock:
martinloyola

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:30 pm

Okay, I was hanging out at the local Borders, wondering what to do to pass time, so I picked up no less than Neon Genesis Evangelion vol. 1 to skim through. The series seems so controversial here and everything, so I just thought I'd see what it was all about for a bit. Well, I ended up buying the first volume. Sad to say, since then, it's been two days, and I've read through vol. three at Borders, and half of vol. 4.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews