What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Lynx » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:16 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Do you like it? Oh, Furuba just makes me happy. You should really read volume 3. That's my favorite thus far, but then again-- I like every new volume best.

yes, i very much enjoyed furuba 2. i borrowed furuba 3 from mikas today, and i'll probably start that one tomorrow morning:)
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Xavier249 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:10 am

Hmm . .. I just read/bought Dragon Knights #10 and #14, Xxxholic 2 and Negima.

Dragon knights is cool, a lot of fighting and odd humor, plus the artist is really good at drawing dragons. I now have 1-14 of the series. For some reason I had trouble getting ahold of a #10 copy

xxxholic was a good continuation of the first one. I like the space-time witch's humor. :) Also it's CLAMP

Negima. . . Can't say I liked it, but I will probably draw from this series as a resource for drawing girl's hair, though.

I will hopefully get to read Shonen Jump August today. We had the mail stopped while we were gone, and we get it all today.
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

The Rise and Fall of the Dragons Moon.

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby Ichigo_89 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:04 am

I'm reading Naruto Vol.2 (for the third time) LOL! I just love Naruto! BTW, is the Rurouni Kenshin manga worth the $40.00 it'd cost to get all 5 volumes?
Ichigo_89

Postby initialdfreak » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:51 am

Xavier249 wrote:Really? It just occured to me that I have been getting them since ep 0. .
Woah. . and I still wish they'd come out faster. .:)

They sure are great though. I love the kanji parts in general. Naruto has to be my fav in the actual issues though. Hikaru no Go is awesome too.

Has anyone else here attempted to actually play Go?

They need to do weekly releases. They said they were working on it. But I want them now!!!
initialdfreak

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:06 am

slinkyboythrift wrote:Is anyone reading final fantasy?

Do you mean Final Fantasy Unlimited? I was unaware that there was a manga version...
uc pseudonym

Postby Xavier249 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:33 pm

initialdfreak wrote:They need to do weekly releases. They said they were working on it. But I want them now!!!

REALLY!!! WOW!!! YAY!! I can't wait either!!
*Jumps up and down* *Clunk* ow.. . . low ceiling. .
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby Ducky » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:39 pm

I'm currently reading all the shonen jump I can get my hands on. That and furuba... I read volume 2 last night and am waiting until Lynx finishes with Mikas's copy so I can read volume three.
Ducky

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm

initialdfreak wrote:They need to do weekly releases. They said they were working on it. But I want them now!!!

I believe they said that they would have to have more subscriptions before it could go weekly.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:28 pm

Angel37 wrote: Juvenile Orion (I LOVE IT!!!)
-Angel

Yeah, Everybody loves volume one. Most of us found the second, atleast, a bit disappointing. Might want to read it before you buy. Just a friendly heads up.
;)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Xavier249 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:36 pm

MasterDias wrote:I believe they said that they would have to have more subscriptions before it could go weekly.

Sketchy on the details, but it was something like the amount of copies made per month in the US is 300,000 but Japan's Shonen Jump is at 3 million a week! That's a hard rap to catch up to, but I will hope for the best.

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:45 am

Those are the numbers that Shonen Jump stated in its most recent issue. Vaguely from memory, I believe that a statement was made about the circulation numbers they would require to go weekly (in a prior issue). It was not up to the Japanese circulation, but still higher than it is currently. I cannot remember any specific statistics.
uc pseudonym

Postby Xavier249 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:59 am

So, that's where I got those numbers from.

*Dashes to find August issue and searches frantically*

*Gets distracted and is now reading Hikaru no Go. . *
*Gets past that . . *

"Aha!"

pg96 concerning Manga Management.
"Over 300,000 issues of Shonen Jump are printed monthly, that's a lot, but the circulation of Weekly Shonen Jump, the magazine on which the Shonen Jump you're reading now is based, is about 3 million."

Sadly the page doesn't mention anything concerning upping the production.

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:44 pm

I spent a few hours at Barne's and Noble the other day and read:
Shihime-Syo (or something like that... it's by CLAMP)
Yu-Gi-Oh v.5
part of Fruits Basket v.1
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby termyt » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:28 am

I'm reading Azumanga Daioh 1 and Galaxy Angel 1 right now. Love them both.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Xavier249 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:25 am

Kokhiri Sojourn wrote:I spent a few hours at Barne's and Noble the other day and read:
Shihime-Syo (or something like that... it's by CLAMP)

It's Shirahime-syo. What did you think of it? I am seriously considering getting it. :)

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:59 am

That one sorta confused me. I read the first quarter and I was like-- :drool: . So I put it down and Read Azumanga Daoih.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Xavier249 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:22 am

Mangafanatic wrote:That one sorta confused me. I read the first quarter and I was like-- :drool: . So I put it down and Read Azumanga Daoih.

Really? hmm. . . still want to get it. :sweat:

Azumanga Daioh is really good!, except for a few off-color jokes...
I love the ear wings and how a lot of the earlier jokes are continued in the later ones. . . :)

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Roland-shin » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:55 am

I am currently reading Full Metal Panic, DNAngel(just started it) and Naruto (waiting for the latest volume to be released :drool: )
sparten1056 wrote:who ever sed nothing is imposible, never tried slammming a revolving door.

keep rockin!! :rock:

narutofan : your naruto source
Roland-shin

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:59 am

Xavier249 wrote:It's Shirahime-syo. What did you think of it? I am seriously considering getting it. :)

There you go... I have a hard time with some Japanese names... I thought is was awesome. Brilliantly drawn, and a very interesting concept of a storyline. I think I will have to get it also when I get the money. I've seen it in Hardback and paperback, so I'd probably have to get the paperback for financial reasons. I've always liked winter and things dealing with it - it makes great art and there are always psychologial aspects that people connect with it. But yeah... I'm rambling. I loved it, and would highly recommend it. :thumb:
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Xavier249 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:05 pm

Kokhiri Sojourn wrote: There you go... I have a hard time with some Japanese names... I thought is was awesome. Brilliantly drawn, and a very interesting concept of a storyline. I think I will have to get it also when I get the money. I've seen it in Hardback and paperback, so I'd probably have to get the paperback for financial reasons. I've always liked winter and things dealing with it - it makes great art and there are always psychologial aspects that people connect with it. But yeah... I'm rambling. I loved it, and would highly recommend it. :thumb:

YAY! Hmm though I would aim for the hardback just because it looks cool. . .. .

Roland-shin wrote:I am currently reading Full Metal Panic, DNAngel(just started it) and Naruto (waiting for the latest volume to be released
YAY! someone else reads FMP! Are you enjoying it?

Umm . .. now on topic, what manga am I reading. I am attempting to read/translate my shonen jump and 3 shonen sundays. One has ep 167 of Naruto!! Plus, I am really interested in Konjiki no Gash Bell. Translating is not going well as I don't know much grammer in japanese. . :sweat:

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Ren_sama » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:20 pm

I just finished xxx Holic vol.2 and R2 vol.1 ^_^ Both were very good~!
Ren_sama

Postby thalia » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:23 pm

I really need to spend a couple of hours at Books A Million to read manga! I can't wait til the 4th Fruits Basket comes out in August...I'm currently reading Rurouni Kenshin (I need to pick up a copy of the third volume), Mars, and Hot Gimmick.
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow

Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but with a whimper.

-from T. S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men"
thalia

Postby Xavier249 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:07 pm

OOH!! got new manga today!!!

Get backers 1-3
Samurai Girl: Real bout high school #6
Banner(uhh.. crest?)of the stars 1

YAY! Umm, now when I have actually read them I will post more!

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Xavier249 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:55 pm

GB 1-3 Umm. . can't reccommend the Get Backers. They are rated OT for very good reasons. 80% of it was good, unless you don't like fighting, then it's about 20%. Oh I forgot to mention cuss words. umm. . there are f---
s and b---'s, so it needs "The Pen!"

SG:RBHS 6. . I loved the way the series ends. It follows perfectly into the Anime. nope not giving a spoiler. There are some not so-good jokes and a lot of fighting so If you don't like that shy away from this series.

Crest of the Stars is AWESOME!!!!! okay so I am not done reading it, but halfway is good enough for now. :) Really clean too, well thus far anyway.

Tokyo Babylon2. . . . yeah there is a gay couple in it. . I got it for a friend that likes the series. No I do not reccommend this one.

If you want more detailed info any manga of mine, I will give it either by Pm or spoiler tags. your choice:)

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:11 pm

Hmm... I didn't recognize that Get Backers had fighting in it, enough to merit 60%, apparently. Could you be more specific, to abate my curiosity?
uc pseudonym

Postby Kesshin » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:20 pm

I'm currently reading Saiyuki, volumes one and two. Tons of fighting (for my tomboy side), great storyline (for my writer side) and four bishies (for my fan-girl side XD ).
"Consider the lilies of the field. They neither sew nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these. If God so clothes the grass, which is in the field one day and cast into the oven the next, how much more will he clothe you, o ye of little faith?
-Luke 12:27-28

-CAA's official writing shinobi.

"Mostly I write action/adventure, and while I dislike romance, I seem to end up doing it and I've been told I do so well. To that I give a cliche "Feh.""
-uc pseudonym
Kesshin

Postby Xavier249 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:48 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Hmm... I didn't recognize that Get Backers had fighting in it, enough to merit 60%, apparently. Could you be more specific, to abate my curiosity?

Hmm, I will try my best, but I just loaned it to a friend in exchange for borrowing Saiyuki 1-3. :)

I counted the characters violence when playing around as fighting. It's kinda graphic at times for example: Ban-chan has a "snake bite" fist that strikes with high pressure. When they are playing around ban-chan "bites" Ginji's head and removes half of the hair. The next scene though they are both fine.

Also, almost all of their quests result in a big battle. During these, blood is everywhere. Oh and spoiler:

[spoiler= sick ] ban-chan uses his evil eye on a mean looking dog. Evil eye makes people and animals see a hallucination for 60 seconds. He makes the dog see Ginji as a girl, and the dog sodomizes ginji. Very sick. This occurs in the first manga.... yeah, it's not funny at all.

Also, hevn-chan is a girl with very big breasts, that are barely kept in by the lack of clothes she wears. Ban-chan has an absurd habit of poking up behind her and groping them.. . . constantly.

Sorry, I am not helping much on the violence end of things. Violence bothers me very little so I hardly notice it. Sexual content on the other hand bothers me lots. . .

During one of the fights both ginji and ban get shot in the head. Then the 12+ bad guys turn the guns on each other and it is a veritable blood bath. This whole sequence lasts quite a few pages too.

Btw, don't rate the anime based on the manga. I have seen a couple eps and it is nothing like the manga. it is very clean, except for the fighting. [/spoiler]

Needless to say, it is OT for very, very good reasons.

Kesshin wrote:I'm currently reading Saiyuki, volumes one and two. Tons of fighting (for my tomboy side), great storyline (for my writer side) and four bishies (for my fan-girl side XD ).

Yes, I find Saiyuki to be good too! Umm, but not for the bishies. . . :sweat:

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Rev. Doc » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:50 am

I just finished Ranma 1/2 volume 26. Had a great story arc involving Ranma's mother.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:23 am

Ah. Thank you for answering my question. I hadn't placed Get Backers in that genre at all... but I guess I am now more informed.
uc pseudonym

Postby Lynx » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:02 pm

i just finished shirahime-syo. wow. great manga!
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews