Liar Game

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Liar Game

Postby Cap'n Nick » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:04 pm

Best manga about shouting numbers I ever read. Seriously, why did I have so much fun even though half the panels were this:

and the other half were this?

Cap'n Nick

Re: Liar Game

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:34 pm

I've been meaning to read it but figured it would be more fun to check out if I knew other people who were reading it, and, well, I guess I'll have to try and tackle this soon.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Cap'n Nick » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:30 pm

I did read it, though heaven forbid I actually remember everybody's name.

Something I was thinking about: original sin in manga. I've seen plenty of works with the theme of "trust the good in humanity" and a handful focusing on the corruption inherent in all people (though those usually centered on individuals with a spark of good living in an evil world, strangely enough), but this manga's idea of actually taking the time to determine if individuals are bad or good instead of pre-judging them as an optimist or pessimist was pretty novel for me.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Lynna » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:30 pm

I read it up until when there was a hiatus. I was delighted to see that it has since been updated, but haven't had the time to get back to it.
I really liked it. I could barely tear my eyes away waiting to find out how each game was won. A lot of the time, though, I was a little too dim to see things coming or understand things. There was this one time where Akiyama--Wow, did I actually remember his name?--explained this card trick to Nao not just once but twice, and I still didn't get it. I was interested in it's perspective on things--it seemed to lean more towards the "everyone is good inside" point of view, which I didn't entirely agree with, but I did love how compassionate Nao was, even if I wished she could be a little bit smarter.
I really need to get back to it. It's been too long.
Lynna

Postby minakichan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:28 pm

There's an excellent live-action drama, although it'd be a mistake to go into it expecting something very similar to the manga.

I love this series; sometimes it's a lot of work to try to follow all the crazy flow charts, but it's always exciting to see how Akiyama'll get out of the latest mess.

Also, I will read anything where ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND YEN is a catchphrase and IF YOU LOSE, WE'LL SHIP YOU HONG KONG AND YOU CAN PAY WITH YOUR BODY is a viable threat.
minakichan

Postby Cap'n Nick » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:42 pm

minakichan wrote:Also, I will read anything where ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND YEN is a catchphrase and IF YOU LOSE, WE'LL SHIP YOU HONG KONG AND YOU CAN PAY WITH YOUR BODY is a viable threat.

I'd love to see that on The Price Is Right.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:52 am

Cap'n Nick wrote:
minakichan wrote:Also, I will read anything where ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND YEN is a catchphrase and IF YOU LOSE, WE'LL SHIP YOU HONG KONG AND YOU CAN PAY WITH YOUR BODY is a viable threat.

I'd love to see that on The Price Is Right.

Maybe back in the Bob Barker days... Drew Carry isn't exactly known for being a prude. >.>
Mithrandir

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews