American manga rankings

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

American manga rankings

Postby blkmage » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:11 pm

I thought this was interesting, because I haven't seen that many rankings for anime and manga stuff Stateside.

From MyAnimeList:
ICv2 has released a list of the top 25 North American manga properties for the first and second quarters of 2011. The chart is based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers.

rank / title / (publisher)

*1 Naruto (Viz Media)
*2 Bleach (Viz Media)
*3 Vampire Knight (Viz Media)
*4 Black Butler (Yen Press)
*5 Death Note (Viz Media)
*6 Black Bird (Viz Media)
*7 Rosario+Vampire (Viz Media)
*8 Fullmetal Alchemist (Viz Media)
*9 Dragonball & DBZ (Viz Media)
10 Soul Eater (Yen Press)
11 One Piece (Viz Media)
12 Maximum Ride (Yen Press)
13 Alice in the Country of Hearts (Tokyopop)
14 Hetalia (Tokyopop)
15 Yu-Gi-Oh! (Viz Media)
16 Pandora Hearts (Yen Press)
17 Bakuman (Viz Media)
18 Fruits Basket (Tokyopop)
19 Dengeki Daisy (Viz Media)
20 D.Gray-man (Viz Media)
21 Yotsuba&!! (Yen Press)
22 Ouran High School Host Club (Viz Media)
23 Shugo Chara (Del Rey Manga)
24 K-On! (Yen Press)
25 Highschool of the Dead (Yen Press)

Obviously, it's incredibly unsurprising that Naruto and Bleach (regardless of what you might think of them) are topping the list. What follows, though, is extremely interesting because I don't think it resembles Japan's list at all.

The most obvious difference is the lack of domination by One Piece, which is understandable. I wouldn't expect One Piece to really resonate with American tastes.

Vampire Knight is super surprising, because it's a very shoujo title that I can't see appealing much to guys, which is unlike some of the more popular shoujo titles in Japan. This means that, not only is it likely the manga of choice for female fans, but that it has enough numbers to beat some of the bigger titles. This is the same sort of thing with Black Butler, which I'm sure we can all agree is pure fujoshi-bait.

Death Note at number 5 in the year 2011 is kind of amazing, because it's been finished for years now.

Black Bird is a surprising title because I've never heard of it.

Then we have Rosario+Vampire, which is a surprise because it's the only fanservice title in the list, but it appears surprisingly high.

Dragon Ball, well, is Dragon Ball.
blkmage

Postby seaglass27 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm a little surprised that DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh! aren't ranked higher.
seaglass27

Postby goldenspines » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:59 pm

Apparently, because Vampire Knight and Black Bird are in the top ten, girls are buying more manga.

(or hey, maybe guys like those titles too? I'm willing to be proven wrong....though I'm a bit frightened in this case)

Side note about Vampire Knight. I'm sure word got around that it's like Twilight.

Other than that, everything else is expected (FMA should be higher, but life is unfair). Except what is Dengeki Daisy and why haven't I heard of it? I usually at least know of every popular shoujo manga. Must have missed that one.
goldenspines

Postby Atria35 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:53 pm

I know a LOT of girls that like Black Bird, and Degeki Daisy was the top shoujo on MAL for a while (couldn't get into it myself, but I'm going to give it another shot).

I have to admit, I'm thinking that more girls are buying manga, which would explain some of the ratings. Especially when thinking about goldie's comment that someone probably said Vampire Knight is like Twilight. >.>"
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:06 pm

blkmage (post: 1498772) wrote:Death Note at number 5 in the year 2011 is kind of amazing, because it's been finished for years now.
Recently Death Note has been releasing some nice omnibuses, so I'm guessing that's what's keeping it alive.

A lot of the shoujo titles I never hear about would surprise me, but then I realize a lot of them are stuff I know people who read them, like Black Bird or the Alice manga.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Dengeki Daisy is slightly better than the average shoujo manga because of the main guy, but I probably wouldn't stick with it as long as I have if a plot element didn't have to do with a bunch of software engineers (even though the handling of computery stuff is lol).
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:14 pm

I don't think that girls are buying "more" manga in 2011. Actually, American anime and manga fandom have been predominantly female for quite a few years now, so we should expect the mega hit girls comics to be at or near the top of the list. Previous data should reflect this. If there's one thing Tokyopop was able to get right in its early days, its getting girls/women in the states to buy comics, which was a pretty rare thing 10-12 years ago.

So yeah, this seems about right to me. Nothing too surprising really, except that it didn't occur to me that Viz was quite as dominant as they are this year so far (14/25).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:51 pm

I'm not really surprised by the Naruto and Bleach positions, sad about FMA's, and disgusted with Vampire Knight's and Black Bird's. Particularly Black Bird's. (Seriously, look at the first few volume covers. Is that supposed to be an appealing relationship? o_O)

Most of the other stuff on the list I've heard of, but haven't read any of.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby TheMewster » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:36 am

Until I found out that vampires were rooted in occult myths I used to love vampires and read vampire knight. Now, I don't really read much manga anymore, but I enjoy drawing it.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:20 am

Kyaaah!! FMA is only at NUMBER 8??? Vampire Knight BEAT IT??!! this is INJUSTICE!! FMA is a way better title than VK. Oh well. People like what they like. So what if girls are buying more manga? I'm a girl and am disappointed to see VK beating FMA.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:50 am

AnimeGirl (post: 1498943) wrote:So what if girls are buying more manga? I'm a girl and am disappointed to see VK beating FMA.
I am assuming this is directed at my post.

The majority of North American manga buyers are female and have been for most, if not all, of the past decade (thanks to efforts of companies like Tokyo Pop, as I mentioned). I wasn't disparaging the fact that comics targeted at females are selling well. On the contrary, I think it is a good thing whenever any manga makes money in the U.S because that means that we will get more manga.

What I was saying above is that the fact that girls' comics are outselling most everything else is not a new or startling phenomenon but has, in fact, been the case for some time. Girls aren't buying considerably "more" manga than they have in previous years; they are buying roughly as much as they usually do, give or take a percentage point or two.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:34 am

Also, saying that girls buying manga is the reason for so many shoujo titles on the list doesn't mean all girls that purchase manga are into shoujo. It's a just generality.

I think it's interesting the majority of manga buyers are girls, though. Is it the art, or something?
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby blkmage » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:02 am

I think it is surprising because, even though girls may buy more manga, I'd always thought they tended to buy more shounen and seinen stuff than shoujo. That is, all of those titles should have a much larger fanbase to start with than shoujo in general. I mean, even though it's probably very different, the top shoujo titles in Japan are exactly those that have a substantial number of guys that like it.

Granted, I don't know what the historical data is like for the US and a lot of what I'm doing is guesswork based on the people I know around me.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:21 am

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1498956) wrote:I think it's interesting the majority of manga buyers are girls, though. Is it the art, or something?
I think that may be part of it, but a major reason is that U.S. manga publishers actually target and cater to female audiences, which is something that publishers of domestic comics have either tried to do and failed or never bothered to do in the first place. Viz, Yen Press, Del Ray and, until recently, Tokyo Pop, etc. market and release comics that girls actually want to read.

Let's say that in 1998 a small team of U.S. comic artists/writers make something roughly equivalent to Fruits Basket. Due to historical data, this hypothetical comic would likely not have been published. If it did get to see the light of day, then the marketing dollars behind it would be scant at best. Around the year 2000, Tokyo Pop chose to ignore the trends and threw big marketing bucks behind their newly-acquired titles and said, "Hey, girls! We've got stuff you'll like! Come 'n' get it!" And they did.
blkmage (post: 1498961) wrote:I think it is surprising because, even though girls may buy more manga, I'd always thought they tended to buy more shounen and seinen stuff than shoujo. That is, all of those titles should have a much larger fanbase to start with than shoujo in general. I mean, even though it's probably very different, the top shoujo titles in Japan are exactly those that have a substantial number of guys that like it.
Sadly, I don't think seinen stuff typically does that well here. There are exceptions. Urasawa's stuff does well, but that is because it's Urasawa, not because his comics are seinen comics. Words like shounen, shoujo, yaoi, BL and publications such as Shounen Jump have the kind of cache that terms such as seinen or gekiga just do not at this point.

Also, and I'm just guesisng here, but while lots of girls buy boys' comics, I don't think the reverse is true in large numbers here in the States.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:44 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1498952) wrote:I am assuming this is directed at my post.

The majority of North American manga buyers are female and have been for most, if not all, of the past decade (thanks to efforts of companies like Tokyo Pop, as I mentioned). I wasn't disparaging the fact that comics targeted at females are selling well. On the contrary, I think it is a good thing whenever any manga makes money in the U.S because that means that we will get more manga.

What I was saying above is that the fact that girls' comics are outselling most everything else is not a new or startling phenomenon but has, in fact, been the case for some time. Girls aren't buying considerably "more" manga than they have in previous years]

Yeah, I understand that point, and I didn't mean it that way. It's just that I believe FMA pwns VK, which is why I am mad it's higher XD!!! I know it's not startling or anything, I'm just mad that such a cool title is being betean by VK. I've read two volumes and watched the first 4 episodes. I admit, it's eyepleasing and interesting, but can't compare to FMA. But hey, people like what they like. I'm sorry if it sounded like I was mad or targeting you, that wasn't my intent. *bows in apology*

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1498956) wrote:Also, saying that girls buying manga is the reason for so many shoujo titles on the list doesn't mean all girls that purchase manga are into shoujo. It's a just generality.

I think it's interesting the majority of manga buyers are girls, though. Is it the art, or something?

Probably the art. It's so pretty and lush to just STARE at. Plus the way emotion is depicted and the epic storylines, it's so hard to pass up. And yeah, I know not all girls are into shoujo (like myself, I prefer shounen, though there are some shoujo titles I really adore). And I know of some guys who read shoujo stuff, so yeah....no matter who it's supposedly geared for, any gender can read it XD!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:51 am

Interesting. I'm a little surprised One Piece isn't closer to the other big two. I expected it to be in the top ten, at least.

blkmage wrote:This means that, not only is it likely the manga of choice for female fans, but that it has enough numbers to beat some of the bigger titles. This is the same sort of thing with Black Butler, which I'm sure we can all agree is pure fujoshi-bait.

Going from the same sort of guesswork as you are, I'd say that kind of bait appeals to a fairly large percentage of American female fans.

blkmage wrote:Then we have Rosario+Vampire, which is a surprise because it's the only fanservice title in the list, but it appears surprisingly high.

Possibly because it moves in an actiony direction later? Also, I think Highschool of the Dead should probably count as a fanservice title]Let's say that in 1998 a small team of U.S. comic artists/writers make something roughly equivalent to Fruits Basket. Due to historical data, this hypothetical comic would likely not have been published. If it did get to see the light of day, then the marketing dollars behind it would be scant at best. Around the year 2000, Tokyo Pop chose to ignore the trends and threw big marketing bucks behind their newly-acquired titles and said, "Hey, girls! We've got stuff you'll like! Come 'n' get it!" And they did.[/quote]
I agree this is a major factor. I don't have the statistics on hand, but the percentage of women to men reading comics is comparable to those reading other books. But whereas the genders are relatively distributed among novel genres, women reading comics overwhelming read either manga or something from the houses that publish something other than mainstream superheroes. Those are all relatively recent.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:29 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1498964) wrote:Sadly, I don't think seinen stuff typically does that well here. There are exceptions. Urasawa's stuff does well, but that is because it's Urasawa, not because his comics are seinen comics. Words like shounen, shoujo, yaoi, BL and publications such as Shounen Jump have the kind of cache that terms such as seinen or gekiga just do not at this point.

Also, and I'm just guesisng here, but while lots of girls buy boys' comics, I don't think the reverse is true in large numbers here in the States.
To be honest, I'd say the reason most seinen stuff doesn't do all that well here is mostly just the ages of the people buying manga. We all like to complain how most of anime fandom is annoying teenagers, and if you look at this list, it pretty much shows what sells: shonen action and shoujo stuff involving a lot of mysterious and attractive men. If you look at the reason most of the people buying those are into them(fujoshi bait, 'I saw it on TV', 'I am a twelve year old boy and I will obsess over every aspect of Naruto'), the majority of seinen stuff isn't really going to be their thing. How many of these kids are going to waltz into the local Barnes and Noble and be like, "Oh man, I've never heard of 20th Century Boys, so I guess I'll pick this up!" The average manga buyer will probably go ewwwfourtyyearoldmen and instead go pick up Vampire Knight or something of its ilk.

AnimeGirl (post: 1499180) wrote:Probably the art. It's so pretty and lush to just STARE at. Plus the way emotion is depicted and the epic storylines, it's so hard to pass up. And yeah, I know not all girls are into shoujo (like myself, I prefer shounen, though there are some shoujo titles I really adore). And I know of some guys who read shoujo stuff, so yeah....no matter who it's supposedly geared for, any gender can read it XD!
While some men might have a Token Shoujo Title that they'll read, it's pretty rare that they will buy shoujo in the same quantities as the women will buy shonen. For instance, I absolutely adore Ouran High School Host Club, but it you look at my manga shelves, it's most shonen or seinen stuff like 20th Century Boys, FMA, or Yotsuba&!.

Then consider the level of cross appeal each one has. Vampire Knight is all about the fact that after reading it, the buyer can go write slash fanfiction about Zero and Kaname. There aren't a whole lot of guys into that.

On the other hand, let's look at a mainstream shonen title like Naruto. The guys(the intended audience) are there for the action, while the girls can flock there because you can go write slash fanfics about Naruto and Sasuke or write self-insert fics about you and Sasuke after they're done reading.

uc pseudonym (post: 1499341) wrote:Interesting. I'm a little surprised One Piece isn't closer to the other big two. I expected it to be in the top ten, at least.
To be honest, I was actually surprised One Piece is as high as it is, though I guess it would have to be doing decently for that huge rush of release last year. It doesn't really have the things going for it that the other members of the Big Three do as far as appeal over here. My guess is that a lot of fans of Naruto and Bleach want to distance themselves from 'kid's stuff' and move on to "mature" titles.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MrKrillz0r » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:39 am

I thought Kimi ni Todoke would be there somewhere. :'( I'm glad to see Dengeki Daisy and Bakuman there at least! :D And no matter what people think of it, I still love Naruto and its not because it was one of the anime's which actually made me enter the world of anime/manga, but because I love the positive message Naruto gives and the story itself.
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:36 pm

blkmage (post: 1498961) wrote:I think it is surprising because, even though girls may buy more manga, I'd always thought they tended to buy more shounen and seinen stuff than shoujo.

The majority of my manga collection is shounen, and I am a girl. I don't think I'm a minority, at least, I've never thought I was until now.

But manga collection is also small so....

And as much as I hate seeing Vampire Knight so high up on the list (actually, I hate seeing it on the list at all...) it does reflect most of the market for media in general at the moment. Vampire romances are high in demand..... (*cough* Twilight *cough*)

As for the mainstream shounen, it's easy to get sucked into the already existing fanbase. My cousin's start with anime was Bleach, and I watched it happen to him. And BOTH genders will watch for the action, not just males.
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:40 pm

blkmage (post: 1498772) wrote:Vampire Knight is super surprising, because it's a very shoujo title that I can't see appealing much to guys, which is unlike some of the more popular shoujo titles in Japan. This means that, not only is it likely the manga of choice for female fans, but that it has enough numbers to beat some of the bigger titles.

Honestly, I'm not surprised at all. I don't see how it can't appeal to male fans. I'm male, and I think Zero rocks! :) He's super cool! ^_^

I've never read Black Bird, though. It doesn't really interest me... Vampire Knight, Fruits Basket, and Ouran High School Host Club are the only shojo titles that've held my interest for long (well aside from some other stuff that doesn't really fit into this, like Sailor Moon... I guess D.N.Angel can be viewed as "shojo" too because it runs in a shojo magazine, if I'm not mistaken).
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:43 pm

^ See, I've totally heard of Black Bird. It's been bandied about by my friends for a while. I'm not sure what the appeal is (but it's very VK-like, apparently). I shall have to pick it up at some point.
Atria35

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:01 pm

It doesn't surprise me that One Piece ranks lower on the list for a couple of reasons.

1. Even though it's been many years, 4kids effect on One Piece's reputation in the U.S. is still very strong. It's hard to get rid of a negative impression.

2. Bleach and Naruto simply have much more exposure than One Piece in the U.S. Naruto Shippuden even managed to appear on Disney XD.

3. The art style is different, to say the least. This can turn many people off towards One Piece. When looking through an aisle of manga, it's easy to reject the ones that don't have what you consider to be, "good artwork."(even though I think the artwork in One Piece is actually pretty good).

As for Vampire Knight, I remember in Wal-mart that it was put on the EXACT SAME SHELF as Twilight. Obvious marketing is obvious.

It seems that there's a pretty even distrubution of shoujo and shoenen in that list.
Yamamaya

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:56 pm

MrKrillz0r (post: 1499363) wrote:I thought Kimi ni Todoke would be there somewhere. :'(

I was JUST thinking that. Now THAT'S a shoujo title that SHOULD of been in VK's place XD

AnimeGirl

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews