What are your favorite genres and themes?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

What are your favorite genres and themes?

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:54 pm

There are many genres and themes for anime just like there are for movies. What are your favorites? Mine are Sci fi (in general), Horror (Psychological), and Slice of Life.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Makachop^^128 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm a big Sci-fi, Psychological anime fan :)
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Atria35 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:01 pm

For me, horror comes out on top. I've read and watched so many of those... Fantasy and slice-of-life come a close second. Truthfully, though, I like them ALL. As long as they're done well.
Atria35

Postby ABlipinTime » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:41 pm

I can't do horror or historical pieces, usually. idk. I may get interested in that stuff later. It all depends on what I'm in the mood for. Sometimes I want action, other times, I'd rather be watch slice-of-life.

I notice mystery isn't on that list. May I ask why not? I guess it can fit into every category. I know I really like mystery, and that can make the difference as to whether to watch an anime in a category I don't usually care for.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Wow, I think I like a series that can fall into everyone one of those genres. ^^;

But really, I'm starting to deviate to more Josei works. Stuff like Nana and Honey and Clover and Kimi ni Todoke. ^^

On the other hand, I really love some action and shonen mangas too. Rurouni Kenshin and Trigun coming out on top there...

I think it depends on the story, really. ^^;
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Sapphire225 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:25 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1473923) wrote:I notice mystery isn't on that list. May I ask why not? I guess it can fit into every category. I know I really like mystery, and that can make the difference as to whether to watch an anime in a category I don't usually care for.

D'oh! How could I forget Mystery, after all the times I've watched Umineko and Conan!? I should have known better. I should have done that, or at least an Other option. :bang:
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:35 pm

ChristianKitsune (post: 1473927) wrote:But really, I'm starting to deviate to more Josei works. Stuff like Nana and Honey and Clover and Kimi ni Todoke. ^^
Not to nitpick, but Kimi ni Todoke and Nana are both shojo.

Myself, I would like to think I have pretty broad tastes. When I see my top ten list for manga, I see Yotsuba&!, Pluto, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Blade of the Immortal, all of which are pretty diverse in tone. I've even read two shojo manga, so there you go.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1473958) wrote:Nana are both shojo.

Nana's josei.

Actually, no one seems to know what NANA is. I and a ton of other people hold it to be Josei. A bunch of other people don't. It definitely is not the normal shoujo if it is shoujo, though.

I lean towards seinen, myself, with some others thrown in.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Nana is serialized in Cookie, which is a shojo magazine. The magazine it runs in ultimately determines the demographic, which is how Berserk and Yotsuba&! can have something in similar when it comes to genre classifications.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby mkalv » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:09 pm

As long as its Shonen, I am fine with any genre.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:47 pm

Of those poll options, I'd say I read mostly action/adventure, fantasy, horror, and romance. My tastes are all over the map, though... Just as long as has an interesting premise and it's something I'll enjoy. :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:02 pm

I like action, and I like fantasy, and I like shonen, but I detest the typical, predictable, episodic shonen stuff you'll normally get in a place like Shonen Jump. It just gets boring after all this time. I like an exciting story that can actually develop as an interesting story.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:38 am

I mostly like sci-fi, and fantasy. I'm slowly getting into the slice-of-life stuff, like Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh. I also like stuff that is hilarious, like Slayers, Azumanga Daioh, and Cowboy Bebop.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Neane » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:01 am

I tend to like Psychological Horror Manga. Mainly because I get to see what happens to the Human Mind. After that, Romance. After that, Historical.
Neane

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews