"Defense Devil" a manga by Christian living in Japan

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

"Defense Devil" a manga by Christian living in Japan

Postby alecho » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:51 am

Have you guys ever heard of "Defense Devil"?

I recently bought this manga series because I liked the art on the cover. It turned out to also be a very enjoyable manga to read! It has an unique plot initially (main character is a good-hearted demon who serves as a lawyer to prove the innocence of a human who was wrongfully put in hell), which later transforms into a "typical" fighting bad guys-type of story. However, I still highly recommend it. (warning: it contains slightly mature content). It is currently published on weekly comics Sunday.

However, what got my attention is the background of the writer of Defense Devil, Youn In-wan. He identifies himself as Christian. His questions about good vs evil, life after death is what inspired him to write Defense Devil. He admits that the plot of DD has shifted away from his initial idea to fit what most readers wanted: fight and action. However, I still it was cool to see a very successful Christian writer in the world of manga :)
AMERICAN OTAKU - a webcomic about our American GEEK culture.

ABSTRACT BEING - a never ending comic that started from a piece of Booger.

CHOEBROTHERS - my personal blog
alecho

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:11 am

Sounds interesting! Is it published in the US, or only available through scanlations?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:04 am

This does sound quite interesting. Given the magazine that it's in, hopefully Viz will pick it up.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby steenajack » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:19 am

That does look interesting. In reguards to "mature content", what exactly do you mean by that? What kind of "mature content" is in there?
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby TWWK » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:29 am

When I read the mangaka's name, I was surprised - he's not Japanese, but a Korean artist and a manhwa creator. I'm not really up to date on how well manhwa sell in Japan, but it's cool to see a Korean published in a weekly manga magazine.

His nationality is an important point to note - Korea is about 1/3 Christian, amuch much higher percentage than in Japan.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby alecho » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Sounds interesting! Is it published in the US, or only available through scanlations?

I believe Defense Devil is currently not published in the States (I could be wrong). I buy my mangas in Japanese so fortunately I do not have to wait for the translations.

In reguards to "mature content", what exactly do you mean by that? What kind of "mature content" is in there?

By "mature content" I mean partial or complete nudity with vital female features covered. And blood splatter too.

I'm not really up to date on how well manhwa sell in Japan, but it's cool to see a Korean published in a weekly manga magazine.

His nationality is an important point to note - Korea is about 1/3 Christian, amuch much higher percentage than in Japan.

There has been a slow but sure increase of good Korean artists and illustrators in main stream Japanese pop culture. "Jack Frost" is another well-drawn manga by a Korean artist. It's not as popular as Defense Devil or published in a mainstream manga magazine, but it has a good share of fanbase.

Yes, good percentage of Koreans are Christians (including myself :) ) and I'm encouraged to see the Christian influence via medium like manga :)

alecho

Postby TWWK » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:06 pm

alecho (post: 1472730) wrote:Yes, good percentage of Koreans are Christians (including myself :) ) and I'm encouraged to see the Christian influence via medium like manga :)

Same here! *high five*

And I just checked out your blog. Your last name is the same as my wife's, but her family doesn't have an "e" at the end.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby alecho » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:11 am

Same here! *high five*

High five back to you!!! :)

And I just checked out your blog. Your last name is the same as my wife's, but her family doesn't have an "e" at the end.

I guess my last name is supposed to be "ChoI" but it was misspelled to "ChoE" when my parents got their citizenship. weird, eh ;)

alecho

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:04 am

I've been ignoring this series because that is my default position for new manga. The information about the author isn't necessarily enough to tip the balance, but it is of note.

I'd ask about quality, but you've given your opinion on that. What is the nature of the legal aspects? Is this Phoenix Wright, LA Law, what? Similarly, once the series turns to fighting, what shonen would you compare it to? I read a fair bit of shonen, hence I have preferences.
uc pseudonym

Postby alecho » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:35 pm

I'd ask about quality, but you've given your opinion on that. What is the nature of the legal aspects? Is this Phoenix Wright, LA Law, what? Similarly, once the series turns to fighting, what shonen would you compare it to? I read a fair bit of shonen, hence I have preferences.

@uc pseudonym: Hmmm... it's bit challenging to describe the manga because they have their uniqueness, but I'll give it a try.

My first impression of Defense Devil is Death Note in action. I feel like the artwork is similar to Death Note (not Bakuman even though they are by the same artist. I think Bakuman is more comically drawn, more wordy than the darker Death Note). I also get a similar comparison to D.Grayman, Jack Frost, and Ao no Exorcist. Even though the main character of DD is a "lawyer" it's not exactly a "law" orientated manga, therefore not like Phoenix Wright. It's more like a... hmmm... verrrrrrrrry diluted thriller/thought provoking version of Death Note. Once again, the emphasis is "verrrrrrry".

I hope this helps :) cheers!

alecho

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:45 pm

This sounds interesting. And you buy it in Japanese? Once I learn Japanese I will have no need to wait for English translations, but for now, let us hope they pick it up. It sounds rather interesting, to say the least.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby alecho » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:15 pm

This sounds interesting. And you buy it in Japanese? Once I learn Japanese I will have no need to wait for English translations, but for now, let us hope they pick it up. It sounds rather interesting, to say the least.

Unfortunately, I believe it's in Japanese only for now. But, yea, I enjoy reading it and I especially like the artwork (kinda similar to Deathnote). I also hope it gets picked up in the States too :)

alecho

Postby Atria35 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:01 am

For some reason, the guy who did the story sounded familiar. Then I remembered- I'm a huge fan of Shin Angyo Onshi! It's a manhwa, but it's incredibly popular and very good, and the story is done by this guy. I'd also check out that work if you guys are interested.
Atria35

Postby J.D3 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:38 am

Can I look at this anywhere online? I live in Aussie land, and from what I gather we don't get very much in the way of range in manga.
J.D3

Postby Atria35 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:16 am

Yeah, but we're not allowed to post links to illegal scanlation sites on here.
Atria35

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews