"Real Books" That Would Make Great Manga Books

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Maokun » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:41 am

The hunger games... Oh wait! Battle Royale already exists.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. That aside...
rocklobster (post: 1469466) wrote:The Chronicles of Narnia
Lord of the Rings
any Agatha Christie book would probably work

Agatha Christie's stories [url=en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Christie's_Great_Detectives_Poirot_and_Marple]already received anime[/url] treatment. As a big fan, I was super excited, but they turned out to be heavily adapted to make them child-friendly. Possibly a more mature manga approach would obtain a better result, but I kind of lost interest in the whole premise. Similarly, I have a deep, unfathomable feeling that Narnia can't be done justice on manga/anime form.

Ally-Ann (post: 1469956) wrote:I kinda think the Adventures of Tom Sawyer would be a good one. It would be even better as an anime, I think.

[url=en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sawyer_no_Boken]Done too[/url] as anime in the eighties. It rocked, or at least my 9 year old self thought so.

Atria35 (post: 1470015) wrote:I can't help but think that some of the Terry Prachett books would be awesomely hilarious manga.

Indeed, off the top of my head, Mort and Men At Arms would really work in manga form due all the great dramatic pacing that lends itself to manga trappings.

My own wishslist is: 1. The Passage, by Justin Cronin which is basically a manga in novel form; and 2. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Roothfuss. Kvothe is made of the highest quality stock that shonen heroes are made of. (Why this series is not more popular than Harry Potter may only be chalked as evidence that this is a fallen world.)

EDIT: 3. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi by Rudyard Kipling. Granted, it's just a short story but I'm very surprised it hasn't been taken up yet; it's just up the alley of one kind of amine the did in the eighties.
Maokun

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews