obligation to write chrisitian manga?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

obligation to write chrisitian manga?

Postby Hub/Lan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:11 pm

I like manga and even though I dislike some of its graphic material I recognize its my favorite artform. I really apprecitae manga that isnt graphic or questionable so since i want to write manga i want it to be like that (not oozing sex and blood) But is a chrisitan obligated to write christian manga? whatever i write will have to be "clean" (not needlesly graphic) im sure but as a christian do I automatically have to write a manga with a specifically christian message? I want to make sure i write something that any christian can pick up and have no doubts about but im personally not a "scream it from the mountian" christian. Im not sure about what to do. :?:
Hub/Lan

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:20 pm

Moved to Manga Mania.

The short answer is not unless God calls you to. I'm a Christian and I like anime and manga, but God isn't obligating me to create Christian manga. Instead it's writing. My advice is to dedicate your craft to God and not worry about it because Christian themes will come out in whatever you write no matter what. Don't force it and focus on creating a good story. I've had a couple stories where I didn't think Christianity would appear (not because I was purposefully trying to keep it out, but because I just didn't expect it to be there). Sure enough, it manifested anyway.

Storytelling first, themes later. No matter what your message is, it won't be effective if you have bad structure and characters.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:46 pm

What Rushia said. Unless you feel God compells you to, there is no reason to purposely go about creating a Christian manga.
Atria35

Postby Midori » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:11 pm

My theory: If you're a Christian and you're writing manga, then it is by definition a Christian manga.

(I suppose it depends on how you define "Christian manga", but I just want to put that thought out there.)

Like everyone else is saying, you don't have to put explicit Christian themes into your stuff any more than Tolkien put explicit Christian themes into the Lord of the Rings. I believe that if you live a life in a relationship with Jesus, then it'll show in your work no matter what you do with it.
Midori

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:59 pm

Hub/Lan (post: 1463510) wrote:I like manga and even though I dislike some of its graphic material I recognize its my favorite artform. I really apprecitae manga that isnt graphic or questionable so since i want to write manga i want it to be like that (not oozing sex and blood) But is a chrisitan obligated to write christian manga? whatever i write will have to be "clean" (not needlesly graphic) im sure but as a christian do I automatically have to write a manga with a specifically christian message? I want to make sure i write something that any christian can pick up and have no doubts about but im personally not a "scream it from the mountian" christian. Im not sure about what to do. :?:

As an aspiring Christian mangaka myself, here's my 2 cents. No, you're not obligated. If you force yourself, you will honestly only come up with lame stories. Plus, Christian manga takes alot of thought and prayer, and if you don't feel God calling you to make a Christian manga, or you don't feel the calling, it's best not to. Creating a clean manga, in my opinion, is perfectly fine. For me, I tend to make Christian manga 'cause it just comes naturally to me. Whether it's symbolic, obvious, or he's just present there and mentioned. But I've had ideas for non-Christian stories, too. Like there's one magical girl like story I wanna make. It's not Christian, but it's pratically clean, and is about dreams (no, not like Dream Saga, MUCH different).

Anyway, you're not obligated just because you're a Christian. I'm sure God will call you to reach people, but if manga isn't what He'll use you for, it doesn't mean you can't make manga at all. Plus, as a Christian, it might naturally be woven into your stories anyway. So, that's my 2 cents. Pray about it.

LadyRushia (post: 1463519) wrote:Moved to Manga Mania.

The short answer is not unless God calls you to. I'm a Christian and I like anime and manga, but God isn't obligating me to create Christian manga. Instead it's writing. My advice is to dedicate your craft to God and not worry about it because Christian themes will come out in whatever you write no matter what. Don't force it and focus on creating a good story. I've had a couple stories where I didn't think Christianity would appear (not because I was purposefully trying to keep it out, but because I just didn't expect it to be there). Sure enough, it manifested anyway.

Storytelling first, themes later. No matter what your message is, it won't be effective if you have bad structure and characters.

You explained it better than me! I so agree with you. Even if you're not trying to make a Christian story, if God is the most important thing in your life, it'll be reflected somehow in your story.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby J.D3 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:03 pm

I agree with everyone here. You can't force something like that when you're not supposed to, i.e. if God hasn't prompted you to write a Christian-specific manga/s.

Actually, this thread has helped me a bit in that regard too!
I'm currently a film/TV student & believe God's got me in that area for a reason. Although I've really been wanting/dreaming to create something that's specifically 'Christian' orientated the problem is that I would imagine it to be very tricky to do properly (as non-religious stuff is hard work anyway!), and I'd want to of course do it properly, but in reality I don't think God has really prompted me do anything like that just yet + although I've been at it for several years, I'm still really just finding my way in things & lacking real-life experience in that area.

In short, pray if you're ever feeling unsure about things & trust/take comfort in the fact that God knows where He wants you to go in your various interests/passions in life & is more than likely to let you know when He wants you to do something! :thumb:

(A little longer response than I intended, but hope that helps!)
J.D3

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:04 pm

I second what the others have already said. I wanted to say, though, don't think that just because something isn't blatantly Christian, it can't have an effect on somebody or be used by God to teach something. I had a breakthrough recently that was triggered by dialogue from what looks like a totally unlikely source.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews