Vertical to release Tezuka's Princess Knight later this year

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Vertical to release Tezuka's Princess Knight later this year

Postby Cloud500 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:43 pm

It was recently announced that Vertical, Inc. will release Osamu Tezuka's "Princess Knight"(the 1953-1956 series) in two volumes this October and December.

Much of Tezuka's earlier work (pre-1960) isn't available in English, so I'm glad this is finally making it's way here.
Cloud500

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:45 pm

Hmmm. I might check this out.
Atria35

Postby Kaori » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:02 am

Wikipedia wrote: Taking place in a medieval fairy-tale setting, Princess Knight is the story of young Princess Sapphire who must pretend to be a male prince so she can inherit the throne (as women are not eligible to do so).

So apparently we have Tezuka to blame for all the endless reams of shoujo manga with heroines who for whatever reason has to pretend to be boys, from Basara to Hana-Kimi. (Actually, there are probably some deeper cultural reasons for this plot device.)

It is nice to see old-school classic manga getting licensed in America, though. I just wish someone would take some interest in Matsumoto Leiji and license Galaxy Express 999.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:26 am

Kaori (post: 1455595) wrote:It is nice to see old-school classic manga getting licensed in America, though. I just wish someone would take some interest in Matsumoto Leiji and license Galaxy Express 999.

Well, CR has the entire anime of it. Does that count?

But TBH, I enjoy the girls-as-guys, as long as it's done well. I'm rather picky about it! XD
Atria35

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:06 am

Sounds interesting! I need to read some Tezuka.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 am

This is already available in English, but it's just out of print (see here). You can't really beat two classy omnibus volumes and Vertical's price point, so I've pretty much reserved my copy.

All of you who like manga should read something by Tezuka.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Lynna » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:35 pm

It's interesting that it would be about a princess who is pretending to be a boy in order to inherit the throne, as I believe awhile ago Japan was going through this contreversy on weather to change the law that only boys could inherit the throne because a princess was born instead of a prince. Apparently they gave it up, though, when she had a little brother or something
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby airichan623 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:32 pm

I'll read that!
Though I really want to read the shoujo manga classic Rose of Versailles....I wonder if that will ever be licensed.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Atria35 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Rose of Versaille would be interesting if they picked it up. I saw the anime. Wasn't too bad. Not my type of story, I'm sorry to say, but I did enjoy it a decent amount.
Atria35

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews