Mangaka Spotlight:Hiromu Arakawa

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Mangaka Spotlight:Hiromu Arakawa

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Since some people thought this would be a cool idea to do with more than just Asano Inio but blkmage said he didn't want to do any more, I thought I'd do the only mangaka I've read enough of to write about.

The picture says it all. This is Arakawa's first published work, and also an award winning one. It's only a one shot, and it's not particularly polished, but the story is good, and had some good moments. A mercenary wanted by the government travels with a "dog of the military", a government experiment to create better and loyal soldiers.

"Who said a warrior cannot learn a spell?"

Arakawa's follow up, Demons of Shanghai only lasted four chapters, but was great as well. Demons run free across Shanghai(hence the name), however, the Demon Taoists Corporation is here to ensure the safety of its citizens, for a price. There's some creativity showing up here, and the cast is quirky and likable, including a God of Business. Also, it's fun to see the Havoc and Lust running around on the same side. I know Fish and I have a hope that she continues this series as her next work.

All right, I'd put lots and lots of money on no one here knowing who this person is if it weren't for this. FMA is pretty much the greatest manga ever made. You should probably read it if you like good things.

But, for those who haven't read it, two young alchemists try to bring their mother back, but fail, with one losing his left leg and the other losing his entire body. However, the older brother sacrifices his right arm to take his soul, which he places in a suit of armor. The two now travel the land searching for the Philosopher's Stone, hoping it can restore what they've lost.

So while Arakawa was making FMA she also decided to make another one shot called Souten no Koumori or Bat in a Blue Sky, this time about a ninja, who doesn't even wear florescent orange. Like Stray Dog, there isn't much more to tell, so you should go read it for yourself. It's also generally considered Arakawa's best one shot.

So Raiden-18 is another one shot Arakawa did while also doing FMA. A young scientist creates a "Frankenstein" by putting a bunch of dead people's parts together. She has him fight in a tournament for other Frankensteins. This one is actually two chapters, despite being a one shot.

Arakawa also does the art for another series called Hero Tales, but I have no plans to read it, so I'll throw it out there but I can't comment.

So, you have a mangaka you think needs spotlighting? Go ahead and do it. I haven't read enough manga to do anyone else, as Urasawa is the only other one I've read more than one work from, and others are far more qualified to do him justice. So please, go ahead and do your own.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby steenajack » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Oo, I plan on reading FMA. I've only seen one episode of FMA so far, and I'm excited to see more. XD!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Oooooh yeah. I love this lady! She does Great and Awesome and Amazing work. Steena, why are you not watching FMA: Brotherhood? It's streaming legally! :P In any case, I also love her manga.

Much appreciated for posting, Hat!
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Much love to the Hatador for this post.

Someone should really pick up her one-shots and release them in an anthology collection. The cover could be plastered with the words: FROM THE CREATOR OF FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!!! Tell me that wouldn't sell. Come on, Viz. I dare you.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby CrystalChalice » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:09 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1431369) wrote:Someone should really pick up her one-shots and release them in an anthology collection. The cover could be plastered with the words: FROM THE CREATOR OF FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!!! Tell me that wouldn't sell. Come on, Viz. I dare you.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:01 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1431369) wrote:Much love to the Hatador for this post.

Someone should really pick up her one-shots and release them in an anthology collection. The cover could be plastered with the words: FROM THE CREATOR OF FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!!! Tell me that wouldn't sell. Come on, Viz. I dare you.
Tokyopop already tried this the person who does Fruits Basket, which I don't think did particularly well.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews