Manga that you read that you're pretty sure no one else here reads

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Rocketshipper (post: 1400046) wrote:Havn't read it yet, but I'm *planning* to read this manga I found out about called "Doubt" that sounded good. Here's some info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubt_(manga)

I'm really excited about reading this one- I've had it on my list for about a month, since i already have so many others to go through, but it looks pretty good!
Atria35

Postby Rocketshipper » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:46 pm

Pipipi adventures isn;t licenced *anymore* and is out of print, and they never finished it to begin with. And it was always the least spotlighted of the three main mangas that were licenced in America.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby ILurvMusic » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Atria35 (post: 1399611) wrote:Karin/ Chibi Vampire - a romantic comedy between a vampire that can stand the sun and gives blood instead of takes (yet has a family of normal vampires) and a boy that's working and studying hard to help his mom. Has fanservice (not a lot, but it's there!), some sexual content (Karin's brother is a total player, but you only get the suggestion that he's sleeping with them), and some gore (it's vampires!), but it's also pretty funny and sweet, everything considered.

[color="Yellow"][font="Comic Sans MS"]I've read most of this manga. Apart from some of the sexual content, it was pretty good][/color]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="LightBlue"]"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

by Maryanne Williamson
[/color][/font]
ILurvMusic

Postby ILurvMusic » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:43 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1399981) wrote:I also read all of W Juliet, except for one or two scattered volumes the library didn't have. O.o That manga was a little odd for me...

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="Yellow"]Lol...I just finished W Juliet not to long ago and now I'm starting to read the W Juliet II. Yea, at first it was a little odd][/color][/font]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="LightBlue"]"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

by Maryanne Williamson
[/color][/font]
ILurvMusic

Postby ILurvMusic » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:51 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Now, let me think. The only manga (actually manwha is the correct term) that I can think of right now is He's Dedicated to Roses.

[This is not my summary of the series, it's a summary I found and altered a bit (because of the language). haha]

Choi Ida, the main character, is forced to act as a maid/servant for a rich prima-dana named Mimi (who refers to herself in the third person at all times) because of a huge family debt to Mimi's parents. In order to deal with the stress of being lorded over by Mimi, Choi begins dressing up as a boy and getting into fights, and eventually developing her local fighting legend alter ego Choi Yodah. A man named Gang Naru appears, searching for Choi Yodah, love triangles begin to sprout everywhere he goes.[/font]

by Maryanne Williamson
[/color][/font]
ILurvMusic

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:01 pm

ILurvMusic (post: 1400477) wrote:[font="Comic Sans MS"]Now, let me think. The only manga (actually manwha is the correct term) that I can think of right now is He's Dedicated to Roses.[/font]

Manwha, eh? Brave girl to list that! :grin: Naw, j/k. I read a lot of manwha, too. Right now I'm reading The One, that's about a girl that was convinced to pose for photos for a modeling agency, though she originally hated the industry. And then she fell in love with someone who's very famous in the industry, but he has a twin brother, and... well, romantic hijinks ensue. But it's really good- I like it better than Paradise Kiss.

(PS- there's a button for multiple quotes, it's the one right beside the quote button.)
Atria35

Postby J.R. » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:33 pm

ILurvMusic (post: 1400473) wrote:[color="Yellow"][font="Comic Sans MS"]I've read most of this manga. Apart from some of the sexual content, it was pretty good][/color]

The ending was frustrating for me though. :|
Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours.
J.R.

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:42 pm

J.R. (post: 1400531) wrote:The ending was frustrating for me though. :|

I thought it was bittersweet, myself.
Atria35

Postby J.R. » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:39 pm

After all the sappyness, I felt a happy ending for everyone was in order. Oh well, I guess. =P
Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours.
J.R.

Postby Kaori » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:39 pm

Tenkensai: Despite the fact that it won some sort of prestigious award at Japan’s annual Media Arts Festival, it seems that no one has published, licensed, or even scanslated this manga into English. Nevertheless, it is hands-down the best manga I personally own, and certainly among the best manga out of those I have read. It is a one-volume doujinshi, not a fan work but a manga that was created independently over the course of some ten years, and the artwork is done in a phenomenal realistic inked style. The story is basically a modern take on the Japanese legend of Orochi and Susanoo, and while it does not really raise any thought-provoking moral or philosophical questions, it is simply a very well-told story. Also, the main character is awesome: she is a construction worker who has great strength of character but also some very real problems. I like the way that she is flawed yet strong-willed; she is a realistic, round character. Highly recommended . . . for people who are confident in their Japanese ability, I guess.

Galaxy Express 999: Leiji Matsumoto’s manga about flying trains. It was first published in 1977, so the artwork takes some getting used to. I only read one volume so far (in a series of about twenty volumes), but despite having a tastelessly lurid scene at the beginning, this manga really grew on me.

Hiiro no Isu (The Scarlet Chair): Now, this manga actually has been scanslated, so it’s possible that someone else on here might have read it, as it is readily available online. This is a manga by Midorikawa Yuki, who is more famous for Natsume’s Book of Friends. It’s shoujo, but it focuses much more on action and intrigue than on romance. I enjoyed that it really made me think because it was often difficult to tell what the characters’ motives were, and it was refreshingly unpredictable in that sense. The artwork is in a loose style, which is refreshing because it doesn’t look identical to every other shoujo manga currently being published. Finally, one last detail that I appreciated about this manga was that the main character is a swordsperson but is not the best swordsperson in the novel; there are other characters who are better than she is, which I liked because it avoids a typical manga stereotype and is realistic (even if you are very good at something, there will almost always be someone else who is better). Recommended.

Barefoot Gen: This is another series of which I have only read one volume, and also another very old series (first volume published n 1973), but the artwork is vastly superior to Galaxy Express 999. Also, Unlike the first two manga I mentioned, it has been published in English. The author, Nakazawa Keiji, is a Hiroshima survivor; the series is valuable because it’s told from the Japanese perspective, but in addition to portraying the atrocities that the Japanese experienced in WWII, it also doesn’t shy away from portraying the atrocities that they committed—things that don’t get taught very often even in history classes, like the way that Koreans were taken to Japan for forced labor. There is a very vehement anti-war message throughout. Recommended for its historical value, but with qualifications (crude humor, graphic nudity, graphic violence). It seems there is at least one other CAA user who has read a little bit of this manga, so rather than a manga that I don’t think anyone on CAA has ever read, it is just one that has very rarely been mentioned.

Well, this post was probably 50% useless, since the first two manga I described are only available in Japanese, I think. If anyone proves me wrong and has actually read Tenkensai or Galaxy Express 999, that would be pretty cool.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby ILurvMusic » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:19 am

Atria35 (post: 1400481) wrote:Manwha, eh? Brave girl to list that! :grin: Naw, j/k. I read a lot of manwha, too. Right now I'm reading The One, that's about a girl that was convinced to pose for photos for a modeling agency, though she originally hated the industry. And then she fell in love with someone who's very famous in the industry, but he has a twin brother, and... well, romantic hijinks ensue. But it's really good- I like it better than Paradise Kiss.

(PS- there's a button for multiple quotes, it's the one right beside the quote button.)

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="SandyBrown"]Hahaha....Yesh, thnx! lol

Hmmm...I think I've heard that title.
I've definitely heard of Paradise Kiss but haven't read it yet.

(P.S. Ohhh ok, thnx for the info :])[/color][/font]

by Maryanne Williamson
[/color][/font]
ILurvMusic

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:04 pm

While I won't necessarily say that I've read anything no one else here has, there are a few things that haven't been mentioned much:

Karakuri Circus: A series that ran from 1997-2006 for a whopping 43 volumes. Three characters cross paths; Masaru, a boy who inherited a large fortune; Shirogane, a French acrobat who wields a massive puppet as a weapon; and Narumi, a martial artist who has a strange disease where he needs to constantly make people laugh or he'll suffer from seizures. Narumi and Shirogane join forces to protect Masaru from unscrupulous people who just want his money. But that's only really the prologue, as the story takes a major shift after several volumes.

Amatsuki: A high-school student, Tokidoki, is seemingly transported to a fantasy version of Edo-period Japan after being attacked by a monster at a virtual-reality history museum. He befriends several others including a fellow schoolmate who was transported around the same time but arrived several years before, and a swordswoman with a demon dog living inside her. Meanwhile, the story occasionally cuts to a subplot back in the real world involving a group of detectives investigating the shady corporation who created the virtual museum.

Anuki: Manhwa about a boy who gets caught in a war between two countries, and then grows up to become an ace pilot to fight in the war. My memory is sketchy on this one as it's been awhile, but I would honestly be surprised if anyone here had read this.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby ILurvMusic » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:20 am

MasterDias (post: 1400689) wrote:Amatsuki: A high-school student, Tokidoki, is seemingly transported to a fantasy version of Edo-period Japan after being attacked by a monster at a virtual-reality history museum. He befriends several others including a fellow schoolmate who was transported around the same time but arrived several years before, and a swordswoman with a demon dog living inside her. Meanwhile, the story occasionally cuts to a subplot back in the real world involving a group of detectives investigating the shady corporation who created the virtual museum.

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="Yellow"]I think I've heard of this manga, but just haven't read it yet. lol
Is it good??[/color][/font]

by Maryanne Williamson
[/color][/font]
ILurvMusic

Postby Dr.Faust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:26 am

The "Hands off" series and Yankee-kun to Magane-Chan.
Check out my boy's art: http://www.arttronik.com/
Dr.Faust

Postby ILurvMusic » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:26 pm

Dr.Faust (post: 1400828) wrote:The "Hands off" series and Yankee-kun to Magane-Chan.

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Haven't read the "Hands Off" series, so what's it about??

I've read like a few chapters of Yankee-kun to Magane-Chan but didn't like it. I don't know I just couldn't get into this series as much. lol[/color][/font]

by Maryanne Williamson
[/color][/font]
ILurvMusic

Postby Dr.Faust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:03 pm

ILurvMusic (post: 1400965) wrote:[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Haven't read the "Hands Off" series, so what's it about??

I've read like a few chapters of Yankee-kun to Magane-Chan but didn't like it. I don't know I just couldn't get into this series as much. lol[/color][/font]

"Hands Off"(sequel) and "Hands Off! Don't Call Us Angels"(prequel) are a two part shojo series. It starts off being about two teen males in high school who begin to develop ESP and the first story (Hands Off! Don't Call Us Angels) goes on about they cope with their powers and learn to live withe them. The sequel "Hands Off" contenues the story of the two boys in the prequel, but now theres a new member to the cast who is also the brother of one of the boys from Don't Call us Angels.

Here is a link to the wiki for "Hands Off!" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hands_Off! )

I don't want to give away too much of the story so just pick up a copy of Hands Off! Don't Call Us Angels vol.1 and see if you like it, and if so read the rest and also read Hands Off!.

This was also the very first manga series I've ever read :)
Dr.Faust

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:27 am

I'd have to say....

"Contradiction" by Ki Hiwatari.
"Etsu!" and "Forever Summer" by Asuka Neko.
"AyaTakeo" (forgot manga-ka name)
"Leap of Faith" (also forgot the name)
"K.E.Y" (also forgot name)
"Work in Progress" by dizzyspell.

...and a good many others. Note: Most of these are online, except AyaTakeo is now in print.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby ich1990 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Kaori (post: 1400600) wrote:Hiiro no Isu (The Scarlet Chair): . . . Recommended.
Thank you for listing this. The Scarlet Chair was suggested to me by someone else quite a while ago --and I have been meaning to check it out-- but for the life of me I couldn't remember the title.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby ILurvMusic » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Dr.Faust (post: 1401036) wrote:"Hands Off"(sequel) and "Hands Off! Don't Call Us Angels"(prequel) are a two part shojo series. It starts off being about two teen males in high school who begin to develop ESP and the first story (Hands Off! Don't Call Us Angels) goes on about they cope with their powers and learn to live withe them. The sequel "Hands Off" contenues the story of the two boys in the prequel, but now theres a new member to the cast who is also the brother of one of the boys from Don't Call us Angels.

Here is a link to the wiki for "Hands Off!" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hands_Off! )

I don't want to give away too much of the story so just pick up a copy of Hands Off! Don't Call Us Angels vol.1 and see if you like it, and if so read the rest and also read Hands Off!.

This was also the very first manga series I've ever read :)

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="Yellow"]Well that sounds pretty interesting, I want to read it now. :]

Niiice! :]

Thnx for telling me about it! ][/color][/font]

by Maryanne Williamson
[/color][/font]
ILurvMusic

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:03 pm

ILurvMusic (post: 1400826) wrote:[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="Yellow"]I think I've heard of this manga, but just haven't read it yet. lol
Is it good??[/color][/font]

Yeah, it's interesting enough, particularly if you like historical fantasy.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Kaori » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:57 pm

ich1990 (post: 1401157) wrote:Thank you for listing this. The Scarlet Chair was suggested to me by someone else quite a while ago --and I have been meaning to check it out-- but for the life of me I couldn't remember the title.

Glad to be of service. You might also like the title story from Atsui Hibi, one of her collections of short stories. It's about a boy who has a notebook full of murder plans (but the story is nothing at all like Death Note).

Speaking of Midorikawa Yuki's short stories, I don't think I've seen them mentioned much, either. She has two volumes of short stories: Atsui Hibi and Hotarubi no Mori e.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby ST. Attidude » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:28 pm

I just ordered on Amazon, this unknown (and unique) work from CLAMP and I don't if it was already mentioned here or not, but try out The Legend of Chun Hyang. If you have read/like tales set in Korea, then you might especially like this.

Its probably my fave mange from CLAMP and I can't wait ^,,,V,,,^
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby ST. Attidude » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:30 pm

Nate (post: 1399616) wrote:Well there's one manga I know nobody else here reads, but...I don't think I should say the title of it. :l For like...at least two reasons.

To actually contribute to this, though, while I won't say that nobody here has read it, probably very few people have. It's called Imadoki. It was pretty good I guess, it was by Yuu Watase, but I don't remember much about it.

Speaking of Yuu Watase I also read a bit of Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden which I really REALLY liked but I never finished it. :\ Doubt many here have read that either.

Read Imadoki and LOVED it. :) I might try Fushigi Yugi or even Alice the 19th next...
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby Dr.Faust » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:42 pm

I just got Please Save my Earth and it seem good so far has anyone else read it?
Dr.Faust

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:27 am

Dr.Faust (post: 1402260) wrote:I just got Please Save my Earth and it seem good so far has anyone else read it?

Rocklobster mentioned it already :) And I'm reading at at the moment. Great manga!

Hmmm.... Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms- a beautiful story about the familial impact of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I nearly cried.

V.B. Rose- about a girl who helps make her sister's wedding dress when she accidentally injures one of the men doing it. Totally shoujo, revrse-harem, and you know in the first volume who she's ending up with. A decent manga when you haven't been innured to that sort of thing. Scream-inducing when you are.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:16 pm

ST. Attidude (post: 1402166) wrote:I just ordered on Amazon, this unknown (and unique) work from CLAMP and I don't if it was already mentioned here or not, but try out The Legend of Chun Hyang. If you have read/like tales set in Korea, then you might especially like this.

Its probably my fave mange from CLAMP and I can't wait ^,,,V,,,^

I've also read The Legend of Chun Hyang because it was at the library, and I thought it was pretty terrible, myself.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Despite my best efforts, I'm pretty sure I still remain the only person here who's read anything by Asano Inio beyond Solanin (which I have successfully sold to a few people here). They're definitely not for everyone, as they deal with some heavy stuff (much heavier and mind-contorting than Solanin), but I know there are a bunch of you who'd enjoy it. Myself, I've gone through Nijigahara Holograph and Sekai no Owari to Yoakemae, and am following Hikari no Machi and Oyasumi Punpun. And as soon as I can, I'll be getting It's a Wonderful World.

blkmage

Postby shade of dae » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:36 pm

To add to The Scarlet Chair, which is one of my favorite shojo manga (and I thought that I only read), there is also Natsume Yuujinchou, which is a fairly episodic ghost story with an art style and dream-like quality similar to Mushishi. I think it's one of Midorikawa Yuki's more popular manga, so others have probably heard of it. However, I've also read Akaku Saku Koe (also by Midorikawa) that tells the story of a boy who can control others using his voice. It's short and enjoyable, and I'm fairly certain that I'm the only one here who's read it.

EDIT:
Looking back, I realize I forgot a few. There's the slightly odd The Sleepy Residents of Birdcage Manor, where a girl who lives (kinda) on the edge reforms and becomes a nude model for a quirky painter. There's nudity, obviously, but nothing is really shown. I can't guarantee that it won't take a turn for the worse, content wise, but it's pretty good. Safe Again Today is another obscure series that's only 14 chapters long, but is really interesting. It's about a girl who is a member of an organization that helps alien (as in UFO aliens, not just foreigner aliens) refugees adjust to life on earth. It mostly deals with the relationships between the humans and the aliens, and it's really fun. Mademoiselle Butterfly is a bittersweet 9 chapter story. I can't remember the content level, but even though she works at a brothel I don't think there's too much objectionable content. Karakuri Odette is a story about a robot going through high school. Not as terrible as it sounds, but nothing spectacular.

I'm just going to end there. I could mention so many more, but 3/4 of them I wish I didn't know about because they're just so stupid.
MAL

What call have I to dream of anything?
I am a wolf. Back to the world again,
And speech of fellow-brutes that once were men
Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.
-C.S. Lewis
shade of dae

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:41 pm

shade of dae (post: 1402413) wrote:EDIT:
Looking back, I realize I forgot a few. There's the slightly odd The Sleepy Residents of Birdcage Manor, where a girl who lives (kinda) on the edge reforms and becomes a nude model for a quirky painter. There's nudity, obviously, but nothing is really shown. I can't guarantee that it won't take a turn for the worse, content wise, but it's pretty good.

I keep coming across this one when I search for new manga to read- I guess the universe is speaking to me and telling me to pick it up! :lol:
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Is that picture from Solanin, blkmage? I like the art (and the beard).
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews