5 Centimeters Per Second Gets Manga Adaptation

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

5 Centimeters Per Second Gets Manga Adaptation

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon May 24, 2010 12:55 pm

Word.
ANN wrote:Manga creator Yukiko Seike is launching an adaptation of Makoto Shinkai's 5 Centimeters Per Second anime film in the July issue of Kodansha's Monthly Afternoon magazine on Tuesday. Mizu Sahara (Same Cell Organism, My Girl) had drawn the manga adaptations of two previous Shinkai works — The Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days — in the same magazine. Tokyopop published The Voices of a Distant Star manga in North America.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Beau Soir » Mon May 24, 2010 1:17 pm

Yes, this makes me happy. :D 5 cm is wonderful and underloved.

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby Lynna » Mon May 24, 2010 1:51 pm

I hadn't heard of this so I looked it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_Centimeters_Per_Second
It sounds really sad
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon May 24, 2010 2:16 pm

The film is regarded as a must-see classic by most of fandom. Unfortunately, it is out of print, so I am excited to get to experience it for the first time. Hopefully the adaptation will do some semblance of justice to the original.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Mon May 24, 2010 2:52 pm

This sounds like a terrible idea. "Hey guys, let's do a monthly serialization of a one hour movie that's segmented into three parts and is praised for its stunning artwork, what could go wrong?" The only adaptation that could work is a complete and proper novelization, which, as it turns out, is something that exists.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Mon May 24, 2010 3:51 pm

blkmage (post: 1396312) wrote:The only adaptation that could work is a complete and proper novelization, which, as it turns out, is something that exists.

In English? :D

If not, I'm all for giving the manga a chance, since the company is dumb enough to not release the anime again for the people who haven't seen it. :\ Personally, if I can even get a toned down version in the manga, even if it's not as "stunning" as the anime, I'll take what I can get.
goldenspines

Postby Cloud500 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:18 pm

I haven't seen 5 Centimeters Per Second, but this sounds like a bad idea. Generally, when an anime is adapted into a manga the result is a rather mediocre adaption. I'm not crossing my fingers, but I can't really say anything about this as it hasn't been released yet. So I guess we'll see where it goes.
Cloud500

Postby blkmage » Mon May 24, 2010 4:31 pm

goldenspines (post: 1396332) wrote:In English? :D

If not, I'm all for giving the manga a chance, since the company is dumb enough to not release the anime again for the people who haven't seen it. :\ Personally, if I can even get a toned down version in the manga, even if it's not as "stunning" as the anime, I'll take what I can get.

They're not doing the manga in English either. ヽ( ゚ω゚)ノ

My suggestion has always been to get a fansub of it and then buy the R2 DVD (or Region A BRD!).
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Mon May 24, 2010 4:35 pm

[quote="blkmage (post: 1396348)"]They're not doing the manga in English either. ヽ]
Though, it has a better chance of getting translated than a novel has, I think.
I guess I'll stop caring about translations when I finally can read Japanese more easily. -_-;

And I cannot decide whether that smiley has pig nose or an overly large kitty face. XD;
goldenspines

Postby ich1990 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:29 pm

Meh. I don't even want to give the manga the option of messing up the movie.

Just put the movie back in print.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon May 24, 2010 7:49 pm

What unexpected negativity =)! I'm decidedly with Goldy on this one, tho I understand the trepidation of watching a beloved story being put in different hands than those who originally created it.

Sure, I'd rather see a re-release of the film, but there is the possibility that this could be good. It could flesh out or expand on certain elements of the film, or just provide an additional and unique perspective of the story/characters. It doesn't have to replace the film; such a feat seems beyond doing, certainly in the minds of fans of the film (no offense meant here, folks....I just haven't seen the movie yet).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby goldenspines » Mon May 24, 2010 8:46 pm

ich1990 (post: 1396374) wrote: Just put the movie back in print.
I would prefer this ultimately, of course. But life isn't fair.

And, like SubtleDoctor mentioned, I wouldn't want this manga version to replace the movie at all. It would be rather giving us a different spin or viewpoint on the story (obviously, still panels cannot be as magical as some animation). Sure, if you don't want to read it because you happened to be one of the lucky individuals to actually see the movie, that's fine by me. But don't bash something that might be cool for the rest of us who weren't so fortunate. ^_^
goldenspines

Postby Atria35 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:19 am

..... I'm searching out people who have the movies. I always want to see the original, because I'm slightly obsessive like that, and if the manga put a different spin or did it from a different perspective, I would obsess over seeing the original, anyway, just to know what I was missing.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Tue May 25, 2010 7:18 am

To be honest, I think that even if the DVD got a reprint, I wouldn't buy it unless it was available on BRD, which is something that is even less likely. This is definitely a movie that deserves to be seen in 1080p. Luckily, North America is in the same region as Japan for BRDs (Region A), and 5cm/s is definitely a movie that I am totally willing and prepared to pay loljapan prices for.
blkmage

Postby ich1990 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:54 pm

My opinion on this manga is similar to what I would feel like if I heard that Christopher Nolan was going to put the Joker in his third Batman movie. I mean, it is already been done, and done almost to perfection. Why mess with it? There is pretty much no way to improve on it, anything else is just going to be a disappointment.

I guess I wouldn't be too upset if they tried to distance themselves from the movie as much as possible. An adaption of the novel might not be bad, for instance, so long as it doesn't try to copy Shinkai. An alternate viewpoint or something would be okay, I guess.

To be honest, I think that even if the DVD got a reprint, I wouldn't buy it unless it was available on BRD, which is something that is even less likely. This is definitely a movie that deserves to be seen in 1080p. Luckily, North America is in the same region as Japan for BRDs (Region A), and 5cm/s is definitely a movie that I am totally willing and prepared to pay loljapan prices for.
Let me know if you ever do find it. That just might be the movie that convinces me to finally buy a Blu-ray player.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby blkmage » Tue May 25, 2010 8:58 pm

ich1990 (post: 1396650) wrote:Let me know if you ever do find it. That just might be the movie that convinces me to finally buy a Blu-ray player.

I may have been ambiguous, in that I'd totally buy the Japan version of the BRD eventually if no North American release happens. But if that's what you're looking for, yesasia has it.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:52 am

blkmage (post: 1396664) wrote:I may have been ambiguous, in that I'd totally buy the Japan version of the BRD eventually if no North American release happens. But if that's what you're looking for, yesasia has it.

Except that has no English subtitles..... That might be an issue....:sniffle:
Ah, well!
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Wed May 26, 2010 5:56 am

Yes, I know. I've said that I am perfectly willing to buy a Japanese version and just download the equivalent fansubbed version.
blkmage

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed May 26, 2010 10:04 am

I still need to see the movie, but hopefully the manga adaption will come too! Ooh, they made one for Voices of a Distant Star???
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews