Your Opinion On Ouran High?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Your Opinion On Ouran High?

Postby animeantics » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:44 pm

No, I don't mean in sense of entertainment. I guess I mean more do you think Ouran is morally bad? For some reason, for the past few weeks, I've been feeling bad for owning the first two volumes, which I've owned for about a year. The twins' "Relationship" probably being the main thing, though, it's just for show and not real. Language wise, Ouran is pretty clean.
So what's your opinion? Would you feel OK recomending Ouran to someone else? Do you think it's bad? Or do you think it's fine, since it's just for show and the twins' relationship isn't real, and it's pretty much one big parody of shojo-manga culture?
Ja-ne~
animeantics

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:57 pm

I don't think Ouran is malicious in any way, especially since it's parodying that sort of thing rather than condoning it. But I also think it's not for everybody. I personally would only recommend it to someone who's already familiar with some of the craziness that often goes on in anime and manga-- not because it's inherently bad, but because Average Joe just wouldn't get it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:48 pm

Consider the entire scope of the story. It certainly begins as a parody of the shoujo and harem tropes that we're familiar with, but that leads into a more typical shoujo scenario later on. Because of this, stuff having to do with the comedy at the beginning of story fades as the plot moves along since it's replaced with character development and serious business. There's much more to each of the characters than the stereotypes they're initially drafted to play.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:34 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1348051) wrote:I don't think Ouran is malicious in any way, especially since it's parodying that sort of thing rather than condoning it. But I also think it's not for everybody. I personally would only recommend it to someone who's already familiar with some of the craziness that often goes on in anime and manga-- not because it's inherently bad, but because Average Joe just wouldn't get it.

This.
blkmage wrote: Consider the entire scope of the story. It certainly begins as a parody of the shoujo and harem tropes that we're familiar with, but that leads into a more typical shoujo scenario later on. Because of this, stuff having to do with the comedy at the beginning of story fades as the plot moves along since it's replaced with character development and serious business. There's much more to each of the characters than the stereotypes they're initially drafted to play.

and this.

In all honesty, while reading through the manga, I find it somewhat morally good, despite all its craziness. It promotes friendship and putting others before yourself.
I think anyways. XD

But if it gives you discomfort to keep the volumes and you feel as if you are sinning by reading or keeping them, then it would be best to get rid of them. Like Shiroi said, Ouran is not for everyone.

Though, you've had the volumes for a year, why the sudden questioning of morality?
goldenspines

Postby animeantics » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:06 pm

goldenspines (post: 1348061) wrote:Though, you've had the volumes for a year, why the sudden questioning of morality?

That's the crazy part! I've had them for a YEAR!! And then it's like suddenly I'm feeling weird, but actually, I think it has something to do with the season. I always feel weird about everything during Fall (NO idea why!) so maybe it'll pass. Personally, I love Ouran XD I think it's hilarious, but morals>hilarity, you know. But I'm feeling better now, I've been thinking about it today, and I've realized there's no reason to get rid of them. I am happy I got rid of FLCL that first week, though O__o no offense to the people who like FLCL, but really, I was completley uncomfortable having it, and didn't really enjoy it. But Ouran isn't nearly as bad as that was, so...
animeantics

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:44 pm

If you often find yourself getting oddly moody/feeling weird during certain times of year, you may want to read up on this:

https://www.google.com/health/ref/Seasonal+affective+disorder

I personally think Ouran is one of the best, if not THE best show I've watched in the past year. Maybe more than that. :thumb: I've recommended it to quite a few people, though I should point out these are Christians who are already very into anime.
Mithrandir

Postby Song_of_Storms » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:35 pm

[SIZE="1"]

True. I enjoy Ouran High School Host Club immensely, but know people who just aren't comfortable with it, even though its a comedy.

...like my eighteen-year old brother, who still can't get over Hikaru and Kaoru. Truthfully, though, he hates any form of anime to begin with.

I've never really had a problem with Ouran, though I was iffy about Haruhi's reluctance towards acknowledging genders.
Hikaru and Kaoru's relationship (in the broadest of terms) is simply a persona they evoke. Thus, I wasn't really that worried by it.

It all depends on you, though. If you feel uncomfortable with it, then by all means get rid of them! ^.~ Certain manga titles unnerved me that wouldn't have affected someone else. Though, its a shame since Ouran is such an enjoyable series. X3[/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby ScalpelFactory » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 pm

I think Ouran, as far as a shoujo parody goes, is top notch. Heck, I have even cosplayed Tamaki Suoh on several occasions. The entire 'host club' idea is a little unnerving if you think about it too much - pay a handsome, rich young man to chat with you and serve you tea on a regular basis? o.O

I agree that the main 'oh dear' point is the twins' show they put on for their particular host club clientele. I just cringe when the twins have their cuddly/fanservice moments. Other than that, there's a lot of warmheartedness about the series. Each character's desire to love and be loved is very sweet.
-{Bifauxnen Extraordinaire}-
-{My Cosplay LJ}-
MOES - Sig heil!
WE TAKE OUR DULLAHANS PRETTY SERIOUSLY AROUND HERE.
ScalpelFactory

Postby onecool_girl » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:28 pm

animeantics (post: 1348067) wrote:That's the crazy part! I've had them for a YEAR!! And then it's like suddenly I'm feeling weird, but actually, I think it has something to do with the season. I always feel weird about everything during Fall (NO idea why!) so maybe it'll pass. Personally, I love Ouran XD I think it's hilarious, but morals>hilarity, you know. But I'm feeling better now, I've been thinking about it today, and I've realized there's no reason to get rid of them. I am happy I got rid of FLCL that first week, though O__o no offense to the people who like FLCL, but really, I was completley uncomfortable having it, and didn't really enjoy it. But Ouran isn't nearly as bad as that was, so...

I felt that way about Ranma 1/2 (I had the first volume of it and it felt wrong, but since it was a gift from a friend I felt bad about getting rid of it :sweat: )
"The truth ain't like puppies, a bunch of them running around, you pick your favorite. One truth, and it has come a knockin'." - Emerson Cod (Pushing Daisies)
onecool_girl

Postby airichan623 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:03 pm

animeantics (post: 1348067) wrote:That's the crazy part! I've had them for a YEAR!! And then it's like suddenly I'm feeling weird, but actually, I think it has something to do with the season. I always feel weird about everything during Fall (NO idea why!) so maybe it'll pass. Personally, I love Ouran XD I think it's hilarious, but morals>hilarity, you know. But I'm feeling better now, I've been thinking about it today, and I've realized there's no reason to get rid of them. I am happy I got rid of FLCL that first week, though O__o no offense to the people who like FLCL, but really, I was completley uncomfortable having it, and didn't really enjoy it. But Ouran isn't nearly as bad as that was, so...

You know what, I've done that. I feel a little bad for owning xxxHOLIC as a Christian, but I have kind of let it become 'my version of horror movies' since I get scared easily. And I got rid of Chobits after a week because of the nudity.

As far as Ouran goes, basically, never recommend it to a non-shojo manga fangirl. Too many in-jokes and cultural jokes. Hikaru and Kaoru don't really bother me since its not real (though they do play it almost too well sometimes), though Haruhi's 'father' does. 'He' is just plain creepy. And Haruhi's not caring about gender borders on "gay or straight doesnt matter at all".

And as far as the concept of the host club goes, yeah, if you think too hard about it, its kinda creepy. but to me the concept almost makes ouran seem all the more absurdly hilarious. think about it: who besides spoiled rich girls would pay large sums of money to talk with local bishounen for an hour? its downright hilarious! even tamaki makes note of why girls even visit the club (see the first 10 or so minutes of episode 2 of the anime).

So ya.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby blkmage » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:20 pm

airichan623 (post: 1352150) wrote:As far as Ouran goes, basically, never recommend it to a non-shojo manga fangirl. Too many in-jokes and cultural jokes.

This is untrue. Ouran was my first shoujo series, both the anime and the manga. Nowadays, I watch and read a bunch of shoujo, so I guess Ouran was my gateway. Also, I'm a guy.

Of course, I realize that I have a very wide range of tastes. It turns out that pretty much everyone I know who enjoyed Ouran enough to recommend it to others fall into one of two categories: loathes shoujo or watches/reads everything. Most of these people are also guys.

Personally, I don't think there's a better series than Ouran to get people into shoujo.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:43 am

airichan623 (post: 1352150) wrote:As far as Ouran goes, basically, never recommend it to a non-shojo manga fangirl. Too many in-jokes and cultural jokes.

While Ouran can be a bit confusing to the non-shojo viewer, I must agree with Blkmage on this.
Ouran has a dash of everything, that's why it's so appealing to the majority. Granted, not everyone will like it, but I think it's a good summary of "this is what you'll get from shojo". It has its realy insane moments and its beautiful, dramatic, and warm fuzzy moments. The characters are far from being flat and it tells a great story.
goldenspines

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews