Favorite Manga-ka Art Styles (and least favorite)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Favorite Manga-ka Art Styles (and least favorite)

Postby animeantics » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:54 pm

I've been wanting to do this forever, post some of you're favorite manga art style, the manga-ka, and the name of one of their mangas. Then post some of your least-favorites.

But, do not bash them (the manga-ka, or manga artist, depending), or bash anyone who likes/dislikes them.

Favorites

Kiyohiko Azuma
Azumanga Daioh, Yotsuba&!

How can you NOT like her art?!! I love it to death! It's kinda wacky/nutty and I love it!

Koge-Donbo.
Pita-Ten.

Sugary cuteness without being TOO sugary, that's all that I know to say.

Arina Tanemura.
Full Moon wo Sagashite.

I loooovveeee her art! She's probably one of my favorite shojo manga-ka, and I'm never dissapointed with her art or storytelling.
But, I agree with what other members have said, her characters look too similar sometimes...well, okay, they look to similar all the time...but it's still very attractive art.

Matsuri Hino.
Vampire Knight.

I think she draws very pretty art, the only downside is the hands...I think she draws them waaay too big and the fingers are very very long. But, I love the way she draws eyes and hair, and I think she draws expressions well.

Masashi Kishimoto.
Naruto.

I mean, come on, his art is fantastic. It's fresh and he always puts feeling into his characters.

Bisco Hatori.
Ouran High School Host Club.

I go from liking it to disliking it...But I like it more then I dislike it, haha.
The only thing I don't like is I think she drew Haruhi's eyes freakishly large. I know that's kinda normal for Shojo manga but it freaked me out at first.

Obata Takeshi.
Death Note.

I agre with minakichan, he's amazing! Very natural! Love it love it looovvee it!
Dislike

Eiichirō Oda.
One Peice.

I just can't help it, I don't like his art style. I tried reading the manga but I never finished it because of it. I know art style shouldn't get in the way of a fantastic story, but his art is probably my least-favorite of all of the mangas I've read.

CLAMP.
All of their really early work.

PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!!!!
But I'm not fond of CLAMP's early work. But, I still love their older mangas, so I try not to let it get in the way. Their newer work, however, I love. But the art of their early work like WISH, Cardcaptor Sakura and other I'm not fond of.

Akira Toriyama.
Dragon Ball.

Wow, I'm going to be hated for this...but I just don't like it. I'm sorry.

Sawai Yoshio (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo)
Totally freaked me out when I saw it. I was like "Wait...that's manga?!"
Not a fan at all.

Now post yours!

P
animeantics

Postby goldenspines » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:47 pm

Ah, I may as well. *shrugs*

Bisco Hatori
Ouran High School Host Club and Millenium Snow

Her artwork is just nice to look at really; very shojo-y and smooth.

Eiichirō Oda
One Piece

I actually love his art style, just because it can create so many characters without looking too repeatative. And the style adds a bit of, comicalness(for lack of a better word) look the the manga. Comparing it with Tite Kubo's style, Bleach has a very solid and straight art style, while One Piece's art style is more bendable(wibbly-wobbly?), adding to the casual tone of the manga. XD

Nobuhiro Watsuki
Rurouni Kenshin

Again, like with Bisco Hatori, this beautiful art style is just great to stare at all day long. Even though Rurouni Kenshin is considered a shonen manga, the style adds a dash of shojo(very sparkly eyes on Kenshin, yes), which makes the style a bit more appealing(to the likes of me, at least).

Dislikes:
Only one that comes to mind at the moment.

Kazuki Takahashi
Yu-Gi-Oh.

I just really couldn't get into that extreme angular style of art. :\

And that's all I can think of right now. XD
goldenspines

Postby yukoxholic » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:01 pm

I love:

Kozue Amano - Aria, Aqua
Kaoru Mori's - Emma, Shirley.
Miwa Ueda - Peach Girl, Papillon
Haruhiko Mikimoto - Gundam Seed: Ecole du Ciel
Moyoco Anno - Sugar Sugar Rune, Happy Mania, Hataraki Man, etc

I also like Eiichirō Oda (One Piece) and Hiro Mashima's (Rave Master, Fairy Tail) art styles though they are quite similar there are distinctions between the two.

Dislikes:

Arina Tanemura

Don't get me wrong I love her stories but I just cannot get into her artwork for some reason. :/
yukoxholic

Postby minakichan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:23 pm

Whee =D Yeah, I'm the kind of person who will pick up a manga just for the art style.

Likey:
Obata Takeshi (Death Note, Bakuman)
His characters are so expressive, his range of styles is huge yet he retains signature elements, and seriously, his technical virtuosity must be like the highest in the field. His backgrounds are amazingly detailed and his screentone rendering is gorgeous. He's totally able to capture a character's personality just from a pose-- they always look natural, like he just took a picture of someone without their knowledge. His composition is always calculated and effective. I can't even count the number of times I've audibly gasped at a panel and had to stare at it for a long time. He. Is. AMAZING, and hands-down the best mangaka around, NO EXCEPTIONS. I COULD GO ON.

Too bad he can't write his own stories that well.

Fujisaki Ryuu (Houshin Engi, Shiki)
Fujiryu's style is quirky, fresh, and original; he still has great technical virtuosity and can render a background wonderfully, but his stylized lineart and often really unique character design is one of a kind. He's so dynamic!

Shimaki Ako (1/3 no Kareshi, Boku ni Natta Watashi)
Her actual art style isn't that exceptional-- pretty typical unisex-demographic-style-for-a-shoujo-manga thing going on, but her sequential art is really effective; she uses two-page spreads well even when a scene isn't visually dynamic, and her visual flow is great.

(Ice Revolution)
I haven't read anything else by the mangaka (artist Takemura Yohei, I believe), but he TOTALLY brings scenes to life like no other-- I've never seen an artist as dynamic and expressive. His lines are full of energy and joy.

Urasawa Naoki (Monster, 20th Century Boys)
A more cartoony yet realistic style. Great caricature-like drawings and distinct designs. Too bad his likeable female leads are his weakness-- they really aren't that great.

Dislikey:
Sawai Yoshio (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo)
This kind of goes without saying-- love the comic, though. Well, the art fits XD

Every single artist that draws EXACTLY like Tanemura Arina (various shoujo manga)
I mean, seriously?

I am so sure I could add like a million things to this list. I need to think though.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby m12specops » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:18 pm

Like:
Tsutomu Nihei (BLAME, NOiSE, Biomega, Abara)
I like his atmospheric, cyberpunk style, and he tells his stories with mostly pictures (although this can make his stories somewhat confusing). There's just something really attractive about the complex and lonely urban landscapes that he draws.
Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto)
I'm sure everyone knows why.

Dislike:
I actually haven't really come across any mangaka's style that I particularly dislike, probably because I don't read manga too often (although I thoroughly enjoy the ones I do read).
m12specops

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:37 pm

I have a mixed opinion on Arina Tanemura. Yes, I love her art. Her character designs are very attractive, but...they all look the same. I can't tell her characters apart. Every time I see a manga by Arina Tanemura I'm always like, "Oh, it's Mitsuki and Takuto again." I like her style, but I don't know if I can call it good, since it's always the same.

Oddly though, I really like Akira Toriyama's art, though he suffers from slightly the same thing Tanemura does ("Oh, it's Goku and Bulma and Vegeta"), but his monster designs are great. His art is another reason I love the Dragon Quest games.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Ingemar » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:15 am

Nate (post: 1287429) wrote:"Oh, it's Mitsuki and Takuto again."
Do tell. I remember seeing a Tanemura wall that Ashley posted and was surprised that the main male character WASN'T Takuto or Sindbad or whatever. That said I do like Tanemura's style even for all its sugary cutesyness (and angst where appropriate) but I'd have to say I like Obata slightly better.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby ich1990 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:40 pm

Obata Takeshi (Death Note)
The cars, they look normal! The people, they age!

Hiroaki Samura (Blade of the Immortal)
From what little I have read, I really like his art style as it falls into the super-realistic category.

Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist, Bat in a Blue Sky)
Although it is mainly the writing that I like about FMA, the art is certainly above par. BiaBS had excellent art.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:38 pm

Nabuhiro Watsuki- Buso Renkin, Rurouni Kenshin.
His art work has improved so much since the early days of Rurouni Kenshin :>

Takeshi Obata- Death Note, Hikru no Go

Marimo Ragawa- Baby and Me
Well, duh.

Rumiko Takahashi- Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2

Koge Donbo- Kamichama Karin, Di Gi Charat

Kozue Amano- Aria

Naoki Urasawa- Monster

Wataru Yoshizumi- Ultra Maniac

Arina Tanemura- Full Moon O Sagashite
I just hate the fact that all of her characters look the same.

Taeko Watanabe- Kaze Hikaru

Akira Toriyama- Dr. Slump, Dragon Ball, Sand Land
I like his older stuff.

Kiyohiko Azuma- Yotsuba&!, Azumanga Daioh

Dislikes:

Yuu Watase- Absolute Boyfriend
Her art is just so blah.

Ai Yazawa

Rei Izumi- .hack//Legend of the Twilight
She doesn't draw very well XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby animeantics » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Nate (post: 1287429) wrote:I have a mixed opinion on Arina Tanemura. Yes, I love her art. Her character designs are very attractive, but...they all look the same. I can't tell her characters apart. Every time I see a manga by Arina Tanemura I'm always like, "Oh, it's Mitsuki and Takuto again." I like her style, but I don't know if I can call it good, since it's always the same.

Yes, I agree completley. I have much difficulty distingusging the characters! But I still think her art is pretty...haha :D
animeantics

Postby Song_of_Storms » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:56 pm

[SIZE="1"]
Mukai Natsumi [ +anima, Fortune Quest L, Nui! ]
I really adore this art style. I love how Cooro perfectly reflects his innocents and nativity. It's just plain adorable! X3

Toboso Yana [ Kuroshitsuji, RustBlaster ]
Her artwork is breathtaking... the amount of detail she places in the little things, like Tea cups and dessert dishes. Also, her characters are all visually appealing as well as unique.

Motomi Kyousuke [ Beast Master, Penguin Prince, Purikyu, Otokomae Beads Club ]
Motomi is my favorite Shoujo artist. I love her cute, sweet and believable stories. Her art is great.

Sirial [ One Fine Day ]
Sirial's drawing style is definitely unique. I'm sure a lot of people don't like it, but I find it charming. The landscape is like a Victorian children's book art. So cute~ X3

Without going into detail~

* Hatori Bisco [ Ouran High School Host Club, Millenium Snow ]
* Choi Hong Chong [ 1/2 Prince]
* Kyujyo Kiyo [ Trinity Blood ]
* Lee Sun-Young [ Magical JxR ] Love~ X3

--Dislikes--

* The art of Watase Yuu. *shrugs* Just have never been really interested in her work.
* Sawai Yoshio. It's like they took the scribbles off some kids math book . It doesn't make sense, and I never found it funny.
* Obata Takeshi's work in Ral Grado. The very beginning turned me off.
* The art of Code Geass. My, what long legs you have! (Clamp, anyone?)[/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby animechica » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:10 pm

Nate (post: 1287429) wrote:I have a mixed opinion on Arina Tanemura. Yes, I love her art. Her character designs are very attractive, but...they all look the same. I can't tell her characters apart. Every time I see a manga by Arina Tanemura I'm always like, "Oh, it's Mitsuki and Takuto again." I like her style, but I don't know if I can call it good, since it's always the same.

I'm the same way, Full Moon is one of the few complete manga series I own, and I absolutely love Tanemura-sensei's art style, but after looking at everything else she's done, it leaves me feeling kind of bored.

It's the same with Yuu Watase... bleh. I think I've read one story from her that I really liked, which was Imadoki! (5 volumes, standard school drama but really likeable). It was the first Watase manga I read, so when I went to read my cousin's Alice 19th, I was like "Hey, everybody looks the same... T_T" I do generally like her art though, except her characters' profiles tend to look wonky. o_o

I'd have to say I REALLY like Kentaro Yabuki's style (he's the guy responsible for the wonder that is Black Cat). He really knows how to draw cute girls, and cool guys too... *drool drool*

Oh, and can't forget Yasuhiro Nightow! I mean, Trigun, and BEYOND THE GRAVE! *huggles Grave* wahhhhhh~

I like CLAMP's Chobits style but nothing much else from them.
Not a big fan of the One Piece art, although it has its own appeal.
And while I really like Di Gi Charat, Koge Donbo's art style is so cutesy that it's almost not. ><; At least in Pita Ten and stuff.
animechica

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:19 pm

Sapphi (post: 1295188) wrote:
It's the same with Yuu Watase... bleh. I think I've read one story from her that I really liked, which was Imadoki! (5 volumes, standard school drama but really likeable). It was the first Watase manga I read, so when I went to read my cousin's Alice 19th, I was like "Hey, everybody looks the same... T_T" I do generally like her art though, except her characters' profiles tend to look wonky. o_o

Oh, and can't forget Yasuhiro Nightow! I mean, Trigun, and BEYOND THE GRAVE! *huggles Grave* wahhhhhh~

I vaguely remember reading something from Watase, saying she wanted Night to be different from any other characters she's made. I'm like, maybe you need to actually DRAW them uniquely... XD

Nightow's art work is awesome, when I can figure out what's happening in a panel, lol
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Purplefire » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:16 pm

minakichan (post: 1287390) wrote:Whee =D Yeah, I'm the kind of person who will pick up a manga just for the art style.

Same here. The art always catches my eye first, but a good story will keep me coming back for more and more chapters.

(Warning: A whole parade of shonen artists coming)

Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist)
My goodness, she just rolls everything that I love about manga into one shot: Great artwork that keeps getting better, a fantastic story line and believable characters.

Takeshi Obata (Hikaru No Go, Death Note, Bakuman)
I seriously drool over Obata's artwork. It's so detailed, but all of the background details do not detract from the characters or from the story.

Shiro Amano (Kingdom Hearts manga adaptation)
Clean lines, a variety of expressions and just plain beautiful settings.

Those are my most favorite artists though I also like Asada Hiroyuki (Tegami Bachi), Daisuke Higuchi (Whistle!) and Katsura Hoshino (D.Gray-man)

Dislikes:
Most shojo comes to mind. (please let me explain before you chase me down, please!) I'm not a fan of most of the art that fall under this style. I have read and enjoyed some of the story lines that fall under the shojo style, though since my sister prefers shojo over shonen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Blue"]
^My webcomic[/color]
[color="Magenta"]"Try having pastries as your hair style." ~Purplefire[/color]
[color="Cyan"]"If you throw us in the fire, the God we serve can rescue us from your roaring furnace and anything else you might cook up, O king. But even if he doesn't, it wouldn't make a bit of difference, O king. We still wouldn't serve your gods or worship the gold statue you set up." Daniel 3:17-18[/color]
Purplefire

Postby Mave » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:51 am

Strictly about art, not about the story, not about the dodgy content, not about how likable the characters are.....

Most Fav.
Nobuhiro Watsuki
Kentaro Yabuki
Oh! Great
Hiroaki Samura / Fung Chin Pang (the artstyle is quite similar)

Least Fav
Shigeno Shuichi - Initial D [I tried so very hard but I couldn't get over the way the characters are drawn]
Yoshito Usui - Crayon Shin-chan [it is a manga.....]
Mave

Postby KagayakiWashi » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:11 am

Nobuhiro Watsuki
Sure, his work for Kenshin is well known and very good, but it wasn't until I read Gunblaze West that I saw just how awesome he really was. There were several instances where the panel layouts REALLY caught my eye and I realized this wasn't just another guy writing manga, he really thought about his panel layout.
I guess I was just so enraptured by Kenshin's story, that the art didn't catch my eye as much.....except for when Kenshin would perform his super moves, hahaha.

Yasuhiro Nightow (Trigun/Trigun Maximum)
The thing that's cool about his art is the thing that frustrates alot of people....it's very hard to follow. He can draw some of the coolest detailed characters that look awesome in one panel, then draw something completely silly looking the next. Yes, the art is awkward at times, but it requires the reader to look harder and understand what's happening....not just running through a manga in 30 minutes.

I'll also mention the I love Akira Toriyama's character art. Overall his art is pretty boring, but I love his character designs.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:35 am

Wow animeantics, we have pretty much the exact opposite taste.

animeantics (post: 1287313) wrote:Favorites

Arina Tanemura.
Full Moon wo Sagashite.

I loooovveeee her art! She's probably one of my favorite shojo manga-ka, and I'm never dissapointed with her art or storytelling.
But, I agree with what other members have said, her characters look too similar sometimes...well, okay, they look to similar all the time...but it's still very attractive art.

I used to like her but the sameness of her characters infuriates me to no end. When I can't tell who the heck is talking, that's when I go read something else. Her illustrations are fine, but her manga pages? No thanks.

Masashi Kishimoto.
Naruto.

I mean, come on, his art is fantastic. It's fresh and he always puts feeling into his characters.

I personally think his art is kind of lazy, but that's just me. Again, I'm not judging based on his illustrations/manga covers, but his pages. There's no texture and it doesn't seem NEARLY kinetic enough, being a manga about ninja fighting and stuff.

Dislike

Eiichirō]

Oda's style is wacky and weird, but you can't deny that the man knows how to draw manga. His backgrounds are SO detailed and his pages are well laid out, and he's very good with perspective and drawing action. He's also really good with character design.

CLAMP.
All of their really early work.

PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!!!!
But I'm not fond of CLAMP's early work. But, I still love their older mangas, so I try not to let it get in the way. Their newer work, however, I love. But the art of their early work like WISH, Cardcaptor Sakura and other I'm not fond of.

Actually I partially agree with you on this one, but I don't like ANYTHING CLAMP does, not just the earlier stuff. XD

Akira Toriyama.
Dragon Ball.

Wow, I'm going to be hated for this...but I just don't like it. I'm sorry.

Toriyama is a masterful manga artist ._.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Dr.Faust » Sat May 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Lets see.....

Favs:
Kenshien
Beck Mongolen Chop Squad
DBZ
Dragon Ball
Busio Renken
YuYu Hokashow
xxxHolic
One Peace

Dislikes

porn plain and simple
Check out my boy's art: http://www.arttronik.com/
Dr.Faust

Postby Maokun » Sun May 03, 2009 4:40 am

My go!

CLAMP
*Maokun is a pathetic CLAMP fanboy, 'nuff said*

Ken Akamatsu
While I have a few gripes about his stories, the art is absolutely amazing. I almost wasn't able to stomach the Love Hina anime and its ugly characters and dirt-poor animation after reading the manga. If I were Akamatsu-san I'd feel insulted.

Masakazu Katsura
And not only for his incredible looking females, I swear! The guy really know his screentones.

Dislikes:

Octopus Girl and its ilk.

All the generic Shoujo, specially the one that is veilidly Shounen-Ai. It all looks the same and it's so bland.

New category: Initially disliked but grew on me and now love:

Eiichirō Oda
I was this close of putting down One Piece after the few first pages and I'm SO glad that I didn't. The character design really grows on you, especially after seeing the amazing art in the action scenes and the painstalking attention to detail in some of the backgrounds. Sadly, that same character design on screen without the strong brush strokes and the awesome shading of the manga is unsufferable to me.

Yoshiyuki Nishi
The character design in Muhyo and Rouji is really weird, but it serves perfectly the light horror setting, after a while I find it rather cute.
Maokun

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Wed May 06, 2009 6:48 am

Hmm:
Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist)
There's something unconventional about Arakawa's art. It doesn't come across as run-of-the-mill, and I like it. I think she draws people of vastly different builds well, and this is refreshing. Not everyone is skinny.

Oh! Great
I like his expressiveness and attention to detail. Could do without the fanservice, though. Srsly. Points for the bilingual pen-name pun, though.

Nobuhiro Watsuki
My early favorite, and I still like his clean style. Pretty functional shounen style, but it works very well. Also is capable of drawing muscular people well, even if he did make Kenshin a skinny little shounen hero. Hiko-sensei makes up for it in spades and then some.

Takeshi Obata
"You got your realism in my anime." "You got your anime in my realism."

Eiichirou Oda
It took a while, but Oda's style has really grown on me. Very creative and "fun".

Yasuhiro Nightow
Very cool, gritty style. Now if only he could tell a coherent narrative with images . . . being hard to read is not a benefit. It is a weakness. Also, Nicholas D. Wolfwood and Beyond the Grave rock like crazy.

Dislike:
CLAMP
I used to like them, but they're incapable of drawing men that can't be blown over by a stiff breeze, so I'm sick of it.

Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball stuff.
I AM SICK OF SEEING IT. AAGH GO AWAY. I really like his Dragon Quest stuff (VIII in particular), though, so put away the torches and pitchforks. Toriyama's a great artist, but I am sick to death of Dragon Ball/Z/GT/PDQ/ZOMG/ROTFL.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:58 pm

I can't make a super long list since I haven't read very much manga yet... I really like Natsuki Takaya's artwork in Fruits Basket though. I'm amazed at how incredible the art is. It's one of my favorites in manga.

Arina Tanemura has been mentioned a lot... I haven't read any of her manga yet, but I've seen quite a bit of her artwork. I agree that she has a nice style, but like you guys have said, her style always looks the same. One time at Barnes N' Noble I saw one manga I wasn't sure if I'd heard of, but I knew it was Arina Tanemura simply by looking at the cover art.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Blacklight » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Well, to start with, I may come back and change this list later, but first I've got to know who to start with.

Like:

Makoto Shinkai - Voices of a Distant Star
Escpecially the manga, which is the subject now so, yeah.
He doesn't give his characters eyes that take up half their faces and all that, and I just overall like it.

CLAMP - Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
I can't say I like ALL of CLAMP's art, but in Tsubasa for sure, I really like it.
(But I hate it when I can't tell if one or two of the side characters are men or women. :shady: )

Ōba, Tsugumi - Death Note
I like seeing a more realistic manga art style, so I guess that's it.

Okay, but don't LOVE:

Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket
Not that I dislike her art; I just can't say I LOVE it.
I like her artwork okay, but her eyes aren't my favorite of all styles I've seen.

Don't care so much for:

Rumiko Takahashi - InuYasha
Her art style didn't interest me from the beginning, which is what really kept me from reading/watching InuYasha, but now that I read the manga, the art style sort of grew on me. (InuYasha could do without the nudity though.)

Arina Tanemura - Full Moon wo Sagashite
I don't have anything strongly held against her, but those EYES...

For sure dislike:

Dragon Ball Z.
I don't even know the name of the artist, and I haven't read/watched it but the art is not even close to the kind I'm interested in. The pictures/clips I've seen, the guys hair is chunky, they always look angry and their muscles are way too big. (In my opinion. I'm not even bashing the artist or art style or fans of the artist, but I personally don't like it.)
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:53 pm

From what I can think of off the top of my had (in no particular order):

Like:

Tomomasa Takuma (Kurogane Communication, Code Geass: Nightmare of Nunnally)
Not exactly a groundbreaking artist, but that's kind of why I dig the style. It's sort of a mishmash of all the character designs, sci-fi tech, and page layout tricks that I like about other artists, in one convenient pile!

Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Evangelion, and pretty much any Gainax related art)
I wish he'd learn to draw more than two faces, but other than that, his art is exemplary. (Plus, his adaptation of a certain well-knows show is actually WAY better than the original, but that's more of a witting thing)

Hiroyuki Asada (Letter Bee)
Good grief, but this is some beautiful art. I ADORE his character designs, and the fantastical settings in his more ambitious works reach almost Tim Burton-levels of lush, dreamlike detail.

Satoko Kiyuduki (Shoulder a Coffin Kuro)
Cute. That's pretty much all I can say, really. I'm just a sucker for well-executed cuteness.

Wataru Yoshizumi (Ultra Maniac, Marmalade Boy)
I don't make the plunge into shojo very often, but this is probably my favorite I've encountered so far. She seems to do all the important aspects of the style without falling into any of excess (everyone's eyes are JUST big enough)

Dislike:

Eiichiro Oda (One Pience)
It's actually hard for me to identify PRECICELY what it is about this guy that gets under my skin. Something about how the various elements of his style come together just seems to magically ANNOY me like few other artists can.

Hajime Ueda (FLCL, Q-Ko-Chan: The Earth Invader Girl) This kind of makes me sad, because I DO like his cute character designs. But his sketchy, messy art style just doesn't work: it literally prevents me from reading his comics. I don't just mean that I can't enjoy it, I mean that there are times I'll look at a page and honestly not know what I'm supposed to be looking at (his weird witting style doesn't help much, either)

I'm sure I'll have to add some more later, there's plenty I'm just forgetting the names of right now...
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:35 pm

Blitzkrieg1701 (post: 1349850) wrote:
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Evangelion, and pretty much any Gainax related art)
I wish he'd learn to draw more than two faces, but other than that, his art is exemplary. (Plus, his adaptation of a certain well-knows show is actually WAY better than the original, but that's more of a witting thing)

Agree completely!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Hiromu Arakawa: Love her art to pieces. It'd diversely done, and everything fits well. It's not too stylized to the point of frustration, but it still has some stylization(Is that a word?). When I get the money I'm going to buy her artbook. Best mangaka ever.

Nobuhiro Watsuki: Initially his art isn't really that good, but about volume 10 of Kenshin he's really gotten a lot better and his characters are diverse in design. I haven't really read anything else by him though.

Masashi Kishimoto: He's kind of like Watsuki, where I don't really like his initial art, it was too sketchy, but later on in Naruto it really improves and gets really good. I like the way he does his noses, odd as that sounds.

CLAMP: Only for xxxHolic. The art for the volume that I've read of it was extremely good, though I've read some of their other stuff and I can't say I'm as fond of it.

Dislikes: No particular mangaka comes to mind, I don't think I've read enough to find one I hate.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ScalpelFactory » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:13 pm

Lemme get some different manga-ka listed in here. There are a lot of popular names floating about.

Like:
Ai Yazawa - {Paradise Kiss, NANA} Her artwork is really different, very fashion-conscious. And by fashion-conscious we mean 90's-era-Kate-Moss-waif-thin. Scratch that. By Yazawa's standards, 90's-era Kate Moss is a healthy weight.

Kazuya Minekura - {Saiyuki, Wild Adapter, Honeycomb} Her artwork has a distinctive geometric style to it, and some great smiling faces that make my heart soar. On a side note, that hair.

You Higuri
- {Cantarella} This is just breathtakingly beautiful. I could stare at it for hours of enjoyment.

Yana Toboso
- {Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler} Fantastic artwork, great balance between the chibified humor moments and stunning illustrations.

Yoshitaka Amano
- {Final Fantasy concept art, Vampire Hunter D novel covers} Dreamlike style reminiscent of 19th century Japanese woodcuts.

Shirow Miwa - {DOGS} Urban, gritty - yet very stylish and fashion-forward.

Kaori Yuki - {Angel Sanctuary, Godchild} Elegant, stylish, and very expressive.

Kiyo Kyujyo - {Trinity Blood} Adorable and crazy detailed. Excellent sense of motion and hair.

Natsuki Takaya - {Fruits Basket} This art style took me a long time to get used to, but once I did, I enjoyed it. I love the way she draws fingernails, so much.

Kohta Hirano - {Hellsing} He's annoyingly inconsistent. He has a horrible sense of anatomy. He can never draw balanced eyes. Why is he in my 'Like' column? Crazy cool character design and cloth folds, as well as a dark intensity not to be trifled with.

YASUKO. AOIKE.
- {From Eroica with Love} Vintage. 1970s. Ongoing. Win. The early stuff is the best, in my opinion. Hilarious gags and glittering effects.

Manwha-ka:
Kara - {Demon Diary, Angel Diary} Really cute stuff, and incredible hair. Hilarious chibis, especially of more dignified characters.

Dislike:
Most things dripping with shoujo's syrupy-sweetness, drowning in an endless pool of those sparkly eyes. Unless it's vintage shoujo. I can handle that.
-{Bifauxnen Extraordinaire}-
-{My Cosplay LJ}-
MOES - Sig heil!
WE TAKE OUR DULLAHANS PRETTY SERIOUSLY AROUND HERE.
ScalpelFactory

Postby Arya Raiin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Eiichirō Oda, One Peice.

Hmm... his artwork is so detailed, thought I do find it hard to follow in some of the battles. His name reminds me of Yoda... XD. *WACK* Ow! Sorry Oda sensei!

Rumiko Takahashi - InuYasha

It's awesome! (except for the nudity... ugh!)

Hiromu Arakawa - Fullmetal Alchemist

Oh, I love it! Such good characters! I almost died laughing a couple of times while reading the bonuses. lol

Masashi Kishimoto - Naruto

Everyone's good opinions and more.

No one has mention the artist of Wolf's Rain?? So sad! I'll mention Wolf's Raiin then! (I can remember the artist's name. O.O)

Love it! The hair is great! And Cheza... she's so... cute!
Arya Raiin

Postby Garjzla » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:53 pm

Hiromu Arakawa - Fullmetal Alchemist

i love the art style, it is refreshing and realistic at the same time

Ookubo Atsushi - Soul Eater

i like how it is cartoony yet not at the same time, it is nice having some curves

Tite Kubo - Bleach

i just really like it even though sometimes the writing pisses me off
God+Anime+Internet+Forums=1337
"MOES: Where everybody knows your sig (because it's a reasonable size)."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Garjzla

Postby teigeki_calesa » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:42 pm

Like: Kosuke Fujishima. There's just something about the way he does character designs that I adore so much.

Dislike: CLAMP. I actually like their earlier works....but the Noodle People Syndrome just got worse in their later works. But I wish I had their skills in costume design though.
Excuse my blinking, just got too many shifts this week.
teigeki_calesa

Postby Neko-Hime » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:04 pm

Love:

Hino Matsuri [Vampire Knight]
I just love her art. At first there were little things about her style that bugged me [the aforementioned massive hands issue] but they worked themselves out in the later volumes. So pretty! <3

Kubo Tite [Bleach]
It's a very edgy style which I find very attractive.

Takaya Natsuki [Fruits Basket]
I like the later volumes better than the early ones. The profiles she draws are very pretty to me. I don't like the hands, though, they seem... pudgy to me. [Probably because I'm so used to Vampire Knight!]

Obata Takeshi [Death Note]
Just jumping on the bandwagon, here. xD Wonderfully unconventional.

Toboso Yana [Kuroshitsuji]
I'm actually not reading this manga anymore [the demonic themes were getting under my skin] but I love the art. It's just so pretty. -w-

Kouga Yun
I don't read any of her manga ['bleh' subject matter >.>] but I love the style... I don't know particularly what appeals to me, but it's just so pretty.

CLAMP [Tsubasa]
Okay, you got me. I like tall bishonen. >.> [I guess Fai and Kurogane take 'tall' to a whole new level, but still...]

[/drooling]
Neko-Hime

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews