With the Light

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

With the Light

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:07 pm

With the Light (Hikari to Tomo ni) is a manga about a Japanese mother trying to raise her autistic son, Hikaru. I just spent two and a half hours at Borders reading the first volume-- it's quite long (the first "volume" is about two and a half inches thick O_o), but it's a great read. I'm planning on going back in a few days to read the second volume.

So I was just wondering if anyone else has read it. If not, check it out. It's very moving. It's something a little different from the usual manga fare-- honestly, I wouldn't have expected something like that to even get published in the US.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby oro! » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Yeah, my library had the first volume, so I checked it out. It's definitely far-removed from the fare they usually send our way, and it actually taught me something, so I really enjoyed it. I want to know what happens next! How will Hikaru and his family live these next couple of years? I was so happy when Sachiko's husband came back! I really felt what Sachiko felt, so it was a really good manga:rant:
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:47 pm

Yeah! I was so happy when Masato and Sachiko made up, because it would have made me really sad if they had split up. I ended up liking Masato actually. XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby AsianBlossom » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:58 pm

I saw this, but I didn't see a rating on the back, so I was a little hesitant. How is it content-wise?
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:08 am

I never recognized this manga at Borders. o.o Thanks for the information. I should give it a read.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:56 am

There's really not much "content" to speak of. I think there might be a few scattered curse words, but since this is slice-of-life there isn't really any violence, and there also has been zero sex. Because it's a story about a mom raising her boy, I wouldn't expect to see any of that in future volumes either.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:05 am

manga.about.com has a good review of it:

http://manga.about.com/od/reviews/gr/WithTheLight1.htm
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby AsianBlossom » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:01 am

Ah, okay. Thanks.
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews