Latest Megatokyo

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Latest Megatokyo

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:09 am

One of the best Megatokyo punchlines yet:

http://www.megatokyo.com/strip/1109

I may be forced to put this one in my sig.

Since it will help the uninitiated understand why this is so funny, please note the characters in the last frame are BF and GF.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:58 am

Megatokyo has punchlines?
Fish and Chips

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:12 am

Rather often, yes.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Nate » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:17 am

The sad thing is I haven't read Megatokyo in four years but understand everything that's going on in that comic.

Usually in the industry this is referred to as a "failure," but then again, given Fred's update schedule, I've probably only missed twenty comics in the past four years.

That's right. I went there.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:26 pm

Everyone, let's limit the Megatokyo hate. If you don't like the comic, there's probably not a good reason to post. If you absolutely must, give some more content than that.
uc pseudonym

Postby bakura_fan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:53 pm

XD oh my gosh! I had completely forgotten to check this. eh. Only missed 2 comics, easy to catch up on. :) Thanks! The whole magical girl part is slightly confusing to me though...but it's comical nonetheless.:lol:
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby RidleyofZebes » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:16 pm

MegaTokyo fan, right here! :D

*nods to UC in agreement*

[spoiler]Indeed, that is a good punchline. XD I wasn't sure if Largo and Erica would actually get together, but it looks like they pulled it off![/spoiler] I'm not quite up to 1109 yet, but it won't be long! I'm already on 815. It'll just be a bit longer and I'll be down to waiting until whenever Fred gets around to uploading. ;_; What kind of schedule does Fred have now, anyway?
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:31 pm

That's my criticism in brief. Actual comedic value taking a backseat for this post, the punchline is entirely irrelevant to the set up. You could cut this comic in half, and Erika's quip at the end is just as efficient (or inefficient) to carry the joke. A single panel even. And talking about the context of the scene implies that the humor lies there, but the joke stands whoever they are. Girlfriend, friend, mother, sister, arch nemesis, employer, fellow employee, the gag doesn't change. Now if she was a complete stranger, then it would just be weird.

I do not read Megatokyo, but if this is "One of the best punchlines yet" not sure I see the appeal.
Fish and Chips

Postby Doubleshadow » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:58 pm

That's not a bad ending for a one page strip. I think the attitudes expressed there sum up their relationship rather well.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:30 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1216398) wrote:That's my criticism in brief. Actual comedic value taking a backseat for this post, the punchline is entirely irrelevant to the set up. You could cut this comic in half, and Erika's quip at the end is just as efficient (or inefficient) to carry the joke. A single panel even. And talking about the context of the scene implies that the humor lies there, but the joke stands whoever they are. Girlfriend, friend, mother, sister, arch nemesis, employer, fellow employee, the gag doesn't change. Now if she was a complete stranger, then it would just be weird.

I do not read Megatokyo, but if this is "One of the best punchlines yet" not sure I see the appeal.

Well, if this were a gag strip, your analysis would be correct. However, MT is properly a comic drama, not a gag strip. It runs along similar lines to many shojo romances, but because it's set in a shonen-esque world, it tends to lend itself to gag-strip-like jokes, which the cartoonist normally positions in the last few panels. These panels function like a gag-strip, but everything before them is part of the ongoing story, not set-up for the gag.

Anyhow, on further review I suspect you really would need to know these characters to get the full effect. It isn't so much the gag itself as it is the extra layers of meaning it acquires by involving this particular couple. I ought to have realized this earlier, I guess.

Anyhow, given that the print version of MT continues to be the best selling OEL book on the manga shelves, the appeal evidently exists for quite a few of us. Of course, we should remember that few books on those same shelves appeal to everyone, OEL, OJL, or other.

EricTheFred

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:31 pm

I actually don't get it.

But I don't read the comic either, so...XD;
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:39 pm

To actually address the topic...

EricTheFred wrote:Anyhow, on further review I suspect you really would need to know these characters to get the full effect. It isn't so much the gag itself as it is the extra layers of meaning it acquires by involving this particular couple. I ought to have realized this earlier, I guess.

I have been following Megatokyo for a few years now (I tend to read free things). To be honest, I was fairly neutral about this comic and don't appreciate it in the same way that you do, even taking into account our different overall opinions about the series. Better something with Largo than something with Piro, though.
uc pseudonym

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews