FullMetal Water Cooler (FMA chapter discussion)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby goldenspines » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:23 am

Chapter 104:
[spoiler] HOLY FREAKING WHAT I DON'T EVEN

Arakawa, what the heck? D8 Just when we thought things may be coming to a close, you throw us a very twisted curve ball.

Anyway, yeeeah, wow, this chapter was pretty mind blowing. I mean, I think we all were expecting something like this, but not LIKE THIS. (not me, at least >_>; )

But, at least Greed/Lin got an awesome few seconds. >_>

Like Nadia mentioned, it will be hard to predict the next chapter because anything could happen. But sadly, we have to wait a whole month to find out. 8( [/spoiler]
goldenspines

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:23 am

104:Oh. My. Gosh.

That was freaky.

If Arakawa gives this a downer ending, I may have to angrier than possibly imaginable. But I still have faith.

What the crap is up with this chapter?!
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Well played.
[spoiler][SIZE="7"]щ(゚Д゚щ)[/SIZE][/spoiler]
blkmage

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:53 am

ASDFGHJKL!!

WHAT!!?

Ok, this chapter was insane! Did not expect that... at all...

[Spoiler] I do have to wonder what Arakawa means by God. But, wow.[/Spoiler]
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:35 am

Well, that was an interesting chapter. I feel that what has happened has just opened the door to either great disappointment or to a mind blowing conclusion.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:20 am

Chapter 104.[spoiler]Arakawa = greatest troll ever.

I can't really believe people are getting so worried about this. Arakawa has said time and time again she believes in the value of hard work and determination. That she'd quit her Manga with an ending that'd be no different than if the protagonists had done nothing from the beginning is unthinkable.

I can't say I have an idea as to how, but she'll smooth things over.[/spoiler]
Fish and Chips

Postby ich1990 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:00 am

I can see this going two ways:

[spoiler]The mediocre way. Protagonists all sacrifice themselves to open some other sort of gate that somehow traps the bad dude for all of time. Before the gate completely seals Father, Hohenheim destroys himself and spreads his souls around to revive all of the people who just died this chapter, including said protagonists who trapped bad dude. Everyone is happy and Ed and Al have to finally forgive their dad. This happens within a volume or so from chapter 104, because all of those dead bodies (Winry, et al.) would start to decay otherwise.

The Awesome way. I don't know, but I hope Arakawa does.[/spoiler]
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:25 pm

Actually, my theory is[spoiler]Hohenheim uses the souls in himself to subjugate Father. We know from a few chapters back Hohenheim has reached an understanding with every single life inside him, and injected a few of them into Father's body, mingling with his own souls. This plus the added number of lives Father recently stole who were touched by Ed, Al, and Hohenheim would present a sizable amount of ego to try and rebel against Father from within him.

Father is powerful, but it's all power he's stolen. His only control is if the individual identities of the lives he's consumed don't awaken. Look what just a few souls from Hohenheim did to him when the two met for the second time. It wouldn't necessarily be enough to kill him or seal him, but enough to restrain him for our protagonists to be on even footing with him.

Also, resisting the urge to start calling him the Godfather.[/spoiler]
Fish and Chips

Postby ich1990 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:42 pm

Freakin' Bradley...[spoiler]...swordfights with his teeth! [/spoiler]Also, nice call, Fish.
ich1990

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:50 am

So 105 FINALLY came out. I suppose the 60 pages makes up for it.
[spoiler]So I didn't think they'd toast Father this chapter, not without Ed and Al doing anything. FMA may be amazing, but it is still shonen. Excellent chapter, between Scar and Bradley, and...yeah.

So who thinks Scar is going to eat it. He has like, what, five different cuts? I also find it rather amusing that Bradley in this is all "THERE IS NO GOD!!!" while in the first anime he has that shouted at him.

So Pride and Greedling are the final sins left. Now that I think about it, I think Arakawa is killing them off in the order that they were introduced. First Lust and Gluttony, then Envy, then Sloth, now Wrath.[/spoiler]
So, I'm guessing two chapters are left, three at the most. Maybe Arakawa will do a spin-off later, like Watsuki did with Kenshin and Yahiko no Sakabato.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:22 pm

Chapter 105.[spoiler]BRADLEY.

Originally I had something else to say on this chapter but I forgot all of it because BRADLEY.[/spoiler]Expect another post when I can think straight about this.
Fish and Chips

Postby goldenspines » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:40 pm

I had a whole post nicely typed out and then I accidentally pushed the Back button and it all was lost. 8C

Anyways, chapter 105:
[spoiler] OHMYGOODNESSYOUGUYSSSSSSS

I didn't think the last chapter could be beaten in pure and innocent epicness, but Arakawa proved me wrong, by far.

People started doing more in this chapter. Ed and Al put aside the past with their dad and helped him out in an epic family teamwork scene (if you missed that, go back and read it over). May was just being awesome.

BUT BRADLEY.

I nominate him as the character to have the best intros and the best exits.
Farewell, mein Fuhrer. *salutes*

Looking very forward to the next chapter, as always. [/spoiler]
goldenspines

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:01 pm

Gah!

So just when I thought, "How can this storyline get any more epic than it already is?" Arakawa proves me wrong... again!

[SPOILER]I'm eager to see what roll Scar has to play in the next chapter. Am I the only one thinking he's going to die? XD Perhaps its unfounded, but reading this the thought suddenly occurred to me, "Hey, Scar doesn't necessarily have to live to the end. XD"

I'm also wondering what's going to happen to Ed and Al's dad if he uses all of his philosopher's stone.

And BRADLEY! I echo those before me, wow. What a way to go out. Fighting to the bitter end, tooth and nail, even. XD Of course, who needs teeth when you can wield swords with your teeth! That reminded me of the doodle Arakawa did in the 'extras' section of one of the manga volumes with Bradely's "five sword technique" XD[/SPOILER]

Can't wait for the next chapter! Its going to be amazing!! =O
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:25 am

Nadia (post: 1381405) wrote:[spoiler]I haven't been expecting Scar to live to the end of the series all this time. I just haven't, even though I've been maintaining a sense of optimism with FMA.

Actually, I'll just quote my earlier thoughts: "I generally would love for things to end well, although I accept that they don't always end up like that (and I do like the way some endings have gone, even if tragic - for example, I prefer the manga ending of Death Note to the anime one). Ed could die while Al lives, but Al is capable of sacrificing himself for his brother, too. I think that Hohenheim and Scar will both die. Possibly Izumi, too, and, perhaps, Ling. Those are the only death speculations I have thought about (some just based on a feeling). Otherwise, I really hope we don't have to say farewell to either of the Elric brothers or one of them (but we may have to)...they're one of my favorite set of brothers in the anime and manga world. : )"[/spoiler]

*is still in awe of 105*

See, now that you quote those things and say that, I vaguely recall reading them before. XD

[spoiler] I haven't really thought much about what will happen to Scar before now. I mean, I've wondered how Arakawa will handled him in the end, but never really thought, "Oh, she'll have him end up dying." That's merely because I just haven't thought about it. I have, however, thought that the Elric brothers could end up dying (or one of them) and perhaps Hohenheim, especially now. I must say though, the people I really don't want to die would have to be Ed, Al, Ling, and Roy (or Riza for that matter). I can see how any of their deaths might be a possibility, though.

On another note, with Ling being 'one' with Greed, I'm curious to find out what will happen to him/them after father is defeated.[/spoiler]

The more I talk about it the more I can't wait for the next chapter. XD And not just the next chapter but I can't wait to see how this series is concluded! As amazing as FMA has been, I can't help but hope for a spectacular ending. I can't see Arakawa disappointing everyone with a lame ending, but you never know... So here's hoping!

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:46 am

Seriously people?! There isn't any way Ed and Al are going to die. Arakawa had mentioned before that she thinks that because manga is entertainment, it should be about smiles, so she tries not to focus on sad scenes too much. Do you really think anyone would smile is Ed or Al died? Anyone else might be up for grabs, but there isn't any way Ed or Al are going to die.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:05 pm

I shouldn't worry about that too much.

Arakawa's said in passing in a couple back of the book interviews that she was born and raised on a family farm. Probably because of this, two of the biggest values she carries with her are family and hard work. When I read that, I realized it was completely unthinkable for her to kill Ed and Al. FullMetal Alchemist's darker in tone than most Shounen Manga gets away with, but it always pulls itself up in a light of perseverance. Even a character's most harrowing personal experiences become the footholds for them to take their path. Even the bad guys have their share of this.

I honestly can't conceive of FullMetal Alchemist having anything but a happy ending.
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:59 pm

Chapter 108: the other side of the gate was London 1918 after all!
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:02 pm

blkmage (post: 1381490) wrote:Chapter 108: the other side of the gate was London 1918 after all!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! This is hilarious and scary all at the same time.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:07 pm

This chapter was great, but I have to be honest and say that I have mixed expectations for the next one. Are they just going to go up and hit (or alchemy spike) the Godfather? I'll take some good martial arts choreography any day, but it doesn't seem exactly appropriate after alchemy that effected millions of people.

On that note, I'd still like to know how the alchemy-canceling ability works. I continue to hope for some kind of concept beyond simple power. Arakawa hasn't betrayed my expectations yet, so I'm still hoping for more. FMA is shonen, sure, but that doesn't have to be a limiting factor.

If we're taking bets, while we can be certain Ed and Al will live, I think the odds on Hohenheim aren't going to win anyone a fortune.
uc pseudonym

Postby ich1990 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:28 pm

While we are at it, I have $5 that says that Hawkeye and Mustang survive to the finish.

I agree with the others, though. Scar and Hohenheim don't seem to have very bright futures.

uc pseudonym wrote:This chapter was great, but I have to be honest and say that I have mixed expectations for the next one. Are they just going to go up and hit (or alchemy spike) the Godfather? I'll take some good martial arts choreography any day, but it doesn't seem exactly appropriate after alchemy that effected millions of people.

You are right, that doesn't seem appropriate. I am hoping that the souls inside him will be the ones to take him out, rather than any Ed or Al or Hohenheim. I think for the next chapter, anyway, Ed and Al will have their hands full fighting Selim, who is still running around with three(?) philosopher's stones.
ich1990

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1381471) wrote:I honestly can't conceive of FullMetal Alchemist having anything but a happy ending.

Well, a non-happy ending would fit into that 'lame ending' catagory I mentioned in my earlier post. XD This being the case, that doesn't mean someone can't die. Though, a good point; it would be really sad if Ed or Al or both were to die, so there is greater hope that they won't.

However, we have to remember, Arakawa has completely surprised us and done the exact opposite of our expectations before. There is so much that could happen, its hard to speculate, anyway.

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:17 pm

While we're making bets and such, I thought I should point out a theory I saw a while ago that all the characters that survived the first anime will survive the manga, and all that died in the first anime will die in the manga, since Arakawa already had all her story planned out. While I'm not necessarily sure if I agree with the theory, there is the fact that[spoiler]Mustang loses eyesight in both versions and Barry the Chopper loses an arm chapters or episodes before his death.

I'll go ahead and put my 5$ on Scar surviving though, since there is a Philosopher's Stone nearby, and I think Arakawa really wants to deal with the theme of redemption, so I think Scar is going to make it through.[/spoiler]
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Hohenheim » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Nobody's come by here in a while. :wow!: Has anyone seen chapter 105 yet?

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the previous page. My bad!:hits_self
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby blkmage » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:14 pm

This thread becomes active for a few days every month whenever a new chapter is released. If you read the last two pages, there will be tons of posts about 105. There will be tons of posts about 106 next week, I'm sure.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Chapter 106.[spoiler]This makes how many characters who figured out the plot in the first few volumes now? Hughes and Scar's brother should trade notes.

So, Godfather is still absurdly broken as our intrepid heroes are apparently powerless to even momentarily inconvenience him, though Scar nullifying his alchemic seal is at least a step in the right direction. If Hohenheim is correct, they really only need to play for time anyway. Also, ki blasts.

And Pride is taken out of the picture. Nice to see Edward actually contributing something, since for the last few chapters this might really very well have been the Flame Alchemist or FullMetal Alfonse or the Half-Hour Hohenheim Hour.

Also, all you Kimbley fans out there...[/spoiler]FMA has become something of a vicious cycle for me now. Is it next month yet? No? How about now? It is? Awesome chapter.

Is it next month yet?
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:22 pm

106 sure was something. As always, FMA does a great job keeping things moving and happening. At the same time, it's managed to prove me wrong each chapter about how I thought things were going to go down.
blkmage

Postby Hohenheim » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:24 pm

Just read chapter 106.

[spoiler]Well, as expected, Pride's true form is one of great irony and poetic justice. I didn't expect Homunculus/Father to let out the Xerxes souls...I wonder what he's planning on doing with them?

Where did that blast of energy come from at the end? Was it alchemical energy?

Overall, a good chapter. Glad that it looks like Ed and Al are wrapping this fight up. [/spoiler]
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby goldenspines » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:34 pm

Chapter 106:
[spoiler] Everything was so intense in this chapter, I was loving it (while yelling at my computer screen, of course)
THEN Kimbley shows up out of nowhere and gives awesome advice, in Pride's mind. And I just start cracking up. That was wonderful.

Also, in case we all didn't know how terrible the flask homunculus is (now called "god"), he brings people back to life (or just creates replicas) and then kills them. This guy is not cool. NOT COOL.

On a very silly note, little baby Pride/Selim is somewhat cute. [/spoiler]

When's next month again?
goldenspines

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:09 pm

Is is time yet?

[spoiler]So that pretty much was the coolest thing ever.

We got to remember why Ed was awesome, and we got a very satisfying and awesome defeat of Pride. I love this series. Also, Fish, I told you Pride wasn't finished yet. And I can't believe it was Kimblee.

So Father is a monster, if you couldn't tell.

And my internet is a monster as well, for going out in the middle of Ed fighting with Pride.[/spoiler]
So Arakawa pretty much rests with Tolkien in the annals of great storytellers. Except, luckily, she isn't dead and can continue to write.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ich1990 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:47 pm

[spoiler]The Kimblee appearance was unexpected and happily received. I am marginally disappointed that Pride didn't put up more of a fight, though.[/spoiler]
ich1990

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews