So, I'm here for some manga recommendations. My manga list is *very* small compared to my anime list, so I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me a bit.
Here's my manga list... http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/mysngoeshere56
Just so you guys know - I've actually read *a lot* more of Fruits Basket, Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, and D.N.Angel (I still have my current status of D.N.Angel at the time of this post but I'll be resetting it soon). Those are 3 series I started awhile back and never finished, so I'm starting them again from the beginning.
But, since I haven't read all that much manga, I'll give you guys "mini blurbs" about what I thought of all the manga I've read...
*MY TOP THREE*
1. D.N.Angel - One of my two favorite manga series of all time, and one of the two titles that got me into anime/manga to begin with. I love how unique it is. It deals with magical boys instead of girls (not that I have a problem with girls - I just like seeing more action dealing with magical boys for a change), and it also has such an amazing and complex premise. Dark inhabiting the body of a seemingly ordinary boy? It's just so creative, original, and awesome... The fact that I can relate to Daisuke makes it even more awesome.
2. Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE - My other favorite manga series, and the other title that made me an otaku. I loved SakuraXSyaoran when I watched Cardcaptor Sakura, and seeing them again made the series all the better!
3. Fruits Basket - My favorite shojo manga of all time. I love the romance, and I can really feel for the characters as they describe their life experiences. I can relate to a couple of them, too...
*THE OTHER MANGA*
1. .hack//Legend of the Twilight - I got it because it seemed interesting and it was short, and therefore a cheap investment. It's nothing that I think would go very high on my top 10 list (if it'd make it there at all), but I liked it quite a bit. I don't regret buying it.
2. Angelic Layer - I thought the anime was cute. Nothing exceptional, but cute. I enjoyed watching it. I couldn't get into the manga for some reason, though... Not sure why. I think it's because I just didn't care for the artwork, and I didn't feel the characters were being quite as developed.
3. Bakuman - I only read one chapter, so I don't have enough of an idea to really give a good mini review. I liked the chapter, though.
4. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (AKA Sailor Moon) - Some of the characters are pretty annoying (mostly Sailor Moon herself in the beginning, and Sailor Chibi Moon throughout it all), but overall, I loved this manga. I'm really glad it's going to be re-published!
5. Bleach - I only read one volume, but I liked it quite a bit. I'm still watching the anime, though. Love it!
6. Cardcaptor Sakura - I've only read the first few chapters, but I love them. I've watched the entire anime series and adore it.
7. Full Moon wo Sagashite - This is one of those titles that's a perfect blend of melancholy and happiness. I definitely want to get around to finishing this sometime.
8. Fullmetal Alchemist - I liked the first few chapters of the manga that I read. I liked the anime, and fans have all told me that Brotherhood is light-years better. So, I'm sure I'll like the manga better too.
9. Goth - Don't get me wrong, I'm a proud goth myself and a huge fan of Gothic literature. I'm a major Poe fan... but this was just too much for me. I think actually *seeing* all the gore just got to me a little too much. The language was even more of a downside for me. I loved the premise, though.
10. High School Debut - I only read about a volume or so, but I thought the volume was cute. I didn't think it was anything all that exceptional... but it was definitely cute, and had a promising premise.
11. Kingdom Hearts - It's nothing I'd put in my top ten, but it was something fun to read. Now I can at least say I've read the manga.
12. Magic Knight Rayearth - I loved this trilogy. It was very addicting, and I plan on starting up the sequel trilogy sometime.
13. Mamotte! Lollipop - I only read a few chapters... It was cute. Nothing I'd put in my top 10, but cute. I watched the entire anime, though. I love Zero and Ichii, but Nina gets on my nerves. I did like the original concept of having a love triangle between two magical boys with combat-related powers and a human girl, though.
14. Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch - The story was cute at times, and I liked the drawings... But the way the plot was executed was just awful. I didn't like the premise of the second story arc all that much, either. I finished reading it just because I was curious as to where it would go and I also liked the cuteness and the romance, but it epically failed to deliver it in a very likable way. I debated dropping the series more times than I can remember before finishing.
15. Ouran High School Host Club - Only read a volume or so, but it's something I enjoy quite a bit. I watched the entire anime (which I adored), and I want to get to reading the rest of the manga very soon.
16. Parallel Sailor Moon - Eh, I don't really consider this much of a "title" but more of a compliment to Sailor Moon itself... But since it's listed separately on MAL, I'll just come out and say it's nothing exceptional. It was cute, though.
17. Revolutionary Girl Utena - This is a "Do Not Discuss" title, so I'll refrain from posting my opinion.
18. Rurouni Kenshin - I *LOVE* this manga up to the point I got to. I really want to finish it...
19. Tokyo Mew Mew - It was... cute. Nothing all that great in my opinion, though. The characters were all kind of annoying, except Zakuro and Ryou. I didn't like any of the other female characters, and Masaya's just too perfect. The villains rarely even seemed all that villainous, too. It's like the whole villainous premise was just a big parody...
20. Tokyo Mew Mew a La Mode - I only read one volume, and I didn't like it at all. Mew Berry is a pointless character and the prime example of a Mary Sue. She masters her powers and becomes the new leader too quickly for her to be a very realistic and likable character (to me). I think she could've been a cute new addition, but not as the "new leader"... I don't particularly care for how the villains are portrayed, either. I'm debating reading the second volume just for the sake of being able to say that I read all of the Tokyo Mew Mew manga, but if it were any longer, I would definitely say "forget it".
21. Vampire Knight - I *LOVE* the volumes I've read so far... But in regards to the future volumes...[spoiler]I know it gets worse after where I've gotten, though... And I haven't read up very far but I know about the implied incest and her being with Kaname. I don't know much other than this, and I don't want to be told much other than this, but I don't like the idea. So, I don't know how I'd feel about later volumes. Knowledge of this happening is the *ONLY* reason why I didn't give it a 10 on MAL. But, I did watch all of the anime (including Guilty), and I know it follows the manga closely.[/spoiler]
22. Wolf's Rain - I enjoyed the story quite a bit. The premise was great and I loved all four of the male wolves. I just wish that the language was less frequent, and the story was longer.
23. xxxHOLiC - I've only read one volume, but I watched the entire first season of the anime. The volume has promise, and I did enjoy it (save the occasional fanservice-ish moment), but I can't tell you much other than that.
Well... That's just about everything I can think of to say. Sorry that most of these titles have incomplete opinions, but I don't have much cash or very many ways to get to a place to read these series very much, so that's why. :-/
If you're wondering what I typically look for, I prefer shonen over shojo, but I do like the occasional good romance. I also like darker, more melancholy sorts of stories (to satisfy the goth in me). If it helps, feel free to look at my anime list and see the type of anime I enjoy, too.
Also - don't put too much stock in my "Plan To Read" list. There are still a few there that I'd want to read, but a lot of those are titles I added a few years ago and haven't paid much attention to since. I've slowly been doing a mass-clean of my list and removing titles that don't hold my interest anymore, but I still have a bit of a ways to go.