Manga Recommendations Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Sapphire225 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:27 am

Manga for Shonen Lovers
Fullmetal Alchemist
Death Note
Alive! The Final Evolution (a very underrated manga that recieves more love)
Bio-Meat (Warning: Its pretty gory, but it is shonen)
Rave Master
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO)
D. Gray-man
Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler
Darker Than Black: Shikkoku no Hana (However, in order to understand the second series, you have to watch the first season of the anime b/c it was an anime-first series) There is a Darker than Black manga series but its...different to say the least (AKA more shojo)
Chibi Vampire (known as Karin in the anime series)
Black Cat

Edit: Whoops! Sorry, about that. Thanks for correcting me Atria.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Atria35 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:35 am

impact777 (post: 1463306) wrote:I have a question concerning the manga Pluto.
Is there any bad content in it, like nudity or "bad religion"? Thanks a lot! :)

There's a review for this on the site- I did it myself! :)
http://www.christiananime.net/manga_reviews.php?display=280

Sapphire225 (post: 1463313) wrote:Manga that I highly recommend

Close but no cigar- this thread is for people to ask for recommendations, specifically for their tastes and whatnot, not for people to randomly recommend manga that they like :)
Atria35

Postby impact777 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:34 pm

@Atria35: Cool. Thank you very much. ^^
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Hey kids! I guess I'm back for another round of asking for recommendations so you can get frustrated with me ignoring that incredible manga you've been trying to get me to read since either you or I joined the site, whichever is the latter. Here's my MAL(manga edition) because you should at least know what kind of stuff I like and don't like.

However, for this round of recommendations, I have a new requirement! I would like something that has either recently begun but is ongoing or is a completed work. If the manga is completed, I would like it to be in the 8-15 volume range, not an FMA-sized piece but not as short as Asano Inio's non-Punpun stuff either. I would like something unlicensed or recently licensed, unless it's about 5-6 volumes, in which case I'd readily accept something that is fully licensed.

Thanks as always! I really appreciate it!
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:27 pm

.... how recently is the 'recently licensed'? Because I would totally recommend Bokurano, which has been licensed for just over a year, and is only 11 volumes. Only 3 are out so far.

Navy Nats! also isn't too bad (though you can't find it on MAL yet). So far only 4 chaps scanlated.

Unfortunately, I read a lot of shorter series, and tend to wait for a while before I pick up a new one, so I can see whether it's going to be a longer-running one.

EDIT: And I have some awesome ongoing series that are up my sleeve that have been publishing for a while. *sad face* Even though it's not quite what you're asking for, Yakee-kun to Megane-chan and 1/2 Prince. They're fun.
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:25 pm

Okay, I am looking for some shounen style manga, please!!!

I'd like one that....
Is not neverending. Anything longer than 30 volumes I will not read.
Language not extremely harsh.
Low on sexual content, if possible.
No nudity....or barely noticeable.
Violence not extremely graphic (I can handle lots of blood, but when people are being cut up....just no.)
As far as religion goes, no "realistic" witchcraft type magic (fantasy magic's OK) and nothing that is extremely offensive to Christianity (I especially don't want anything mocking it, my faith means alot to me).

Here's a list of shounen style titles I read (I believe these are all shounen-style, anyway XD!!):
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hero Tales
Black Cat
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles

I think that's it. Thank you so much!!!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Shounen-style?

Tegami Bachi (this one was recently Manga of the Month, you'll be able to find more info on the content). But I can tell you one character doesn't quite understand the importance of pants (though you never see anything). Fantasy magic, very little of it. Little language.
Pumpkin Scissors would also be worth looking into. Manga about a war clean-up team. No magic, violence.... TRC levels. Language- FMA levels, more or less.
Rurouni Kenshin-This is a classic, classic manga. It really made anime and manga popular in the US again. Or brought about more popularity. Violence- TRC levels. Later volumes. No magic, very little religion stuff, none of it anti-Christian. Very little language.

Ah! That reminds me- Hero Tales does indeed have an anime:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2772/Jyuushin_Enbu:_Hero_Tales
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:01 am

Atria35 (post: 1470043) wrote:Shounen-style?

Tegami Bachi (this one was recently Manga of the Month, you'll be able to find more info on the content). But I can tell you one character doesn't quite understand the importance of pants (though you never see anything). Fantasy magic, very little of it. Little language.
This, this, this! There's also some non-fanservice nudity later on.

Also, Rurouni Kenshin is something every shonen fan should read eventually. Don't watch the anime, either.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:53 pm

MMkay I guess it's my turn!

I'd prefer something short, complete, and it doesn't matter what genre or subject.

I do prefer horror, though it's not necessary.

But I'm in a slump right now, so....
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm going to go ahead and list the four works I've read from Mizukami Satsoshi, which are The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, Sengoku Youko, Psycho Staff, and Sanjin Sadou. All of these are fantasy, though in different ways. Biscuit Hammer is almost like a sentai show, or at least very shonen in its setup, but it is not typical shonen fare. Sengoku Youko is about two traveling demons in the Sengoku period, and it eventually develops into this plot about monks and is setting up for something awesome. It is also still publishing. Psycho Staff is sometimes called the Proto-Biscuit Hammer, but it's a fun, single-volume story in its own right. Sanjin Sadou is a bit like Mushishi, I guess, in that it's about this traveling guy who takes care of people's demon problems, though it's much different in execution. It is completed at two volumes, though only the first is scanlated.

I'm also going to ask why aren't you reading Silver Spoon because the first chapter is translated and everything.

Cross Game is a pretty good baseball manga with a fandom that is really fond of it, and five volumes in it's pretty solid.

I guess since I'm recommending Silver Spoon I'm going to go ahead and throw out Arakawa's one shots: Bat in a Blue Sky, Stray Dog, and Raiden-18. Demons of Shanghai, a one-volume offering from her is pretty solid as well.

I guess for the last work I'll suggest solanin by Inio Asano, which is a fantastic manga that you can get a two-in-one version for like, twelve dollars on Amazon.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks, Hat! I know those are series that I really should get going on. And I will. I think Lucifer is up first, since it's awesome (forgot to mark that I read the first vol. on my MAL list).

And thank you so much!
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Lucifer is definitely the best of the bunch, though after that it's a toss up between Sengoku Youko and Solanin, though I'd probably suggest going with Solanin first because Sengoku Youko either hit a hiatus or the scanlators hit a hiatus, so don't feel to rushed to read it.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Maokun » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:23 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1470067) wrote:Also, Rurouni Kenshin is something every shonen fan should read eventually. Don't watch the anime, either.

I agree with most of this statement but I need to point that the Kyoto arc is actually well animated and paced with some of the most fluid and amazing fights in anime. Having said that, in total, the manga is way better.
Maokun

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Maokun (post: 1471600) wrote:I agree with most of this statement but I need to point that the Kyoto arc is actually well animated and paced with some of the most fluid and amazing fights in anime. Having said that, in total, the manga is way better.
Woah! I kind of remember you!

That said, I only got like, eight episodes into the anime before giving up, so you would be more qualified to talk about that than me.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Atria35 (post: 1470043) wrote:Shounen-style?

Pumpkin Scissors would also be worth looking into. Manga about a war clean-up team. No magic, violence.... TRC levels. Language- FMA levels, more or less.
Rurouni Kenshin-This is a classic, classic manga. It really made anime and manga popular in the US again. Or brought about more popularity. Violence- TRC levels. Later volumes. No magic, very little religion stuff, none of it anti-Christian. Very little language.

Ah! That reminds me- Hero Tales does indeed have an anime:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2772/Jyuushin_Enbu:_Hero_Tales

Thanks! Ooh...I've been wanting to read Tegami Bachi when I saw it in the Manga of the Month. Also, I've been interested in reading Rurouni Kenshin as well. Now I have never heard of Pumpkin Scissors but I'll be sure to give it a shot! Thanks ^.^
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Maokun » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:14 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1471716) wrote:Woah! I kind of remember you!

That said, I only got like, eight episodes into the anime before giving up, so you would be more qualified to talk about that than me.

Hehe yeah, I kind of took a sabbatical there, but I'm back! Yeah, Rurouni Kenshin anime's first part (up to Kyoto Arc) is just weak; soporiferous pacing, poor animation, grating OP song, the only kinda redeemable arc was Kanryu's which anyway is essential to understand the rest of the series.

The Kyoto arc, as I said, is a high point not only for the series, but for anime action series overall. Once that arc is over, is simply better to pretend the series finished along with it.

Anyhow, definitely the manga is the way to go, highly recommended.
Maokun

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:14 pm

Hey everybody. :) So, I'm here for some manga recommendations. My manga list is *very* small compared to my anime list, so I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me a bit.

Here's my manga list... http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/mysngoeshere56

Just so you guys know - I've actually read *a lot* more of Fruits Basket, Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, and D.N.Angel (I still have my current status of D.N.Angel at the time of this post but I'll be resetting it soon). Those are 3 series I started awhile back and never finished, so I'm starting them again from the beginning.

But, since I haven't read all that much manga, I'll give you guys "mini blurbs" about what I thought of all the manga I've read...

*MY TOP THREE*

1. D.N.Angel - One of my two favorite manga series of all time, and one of the two titles that got me into anime/manga to begin with. I love how unique it is. It deals with magical boys instead of girls (not that I have a problem with girls - I just like seeing more action dealing with magical boys for a change), and it also has such an amazing and complex premise. Dark inhabiting the body of a seemingly ordinary boy? It's just so creative, original, and awesome... The fact that I can relate to Daisuke makes it even more awesome. :)

2. Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE - My other favorite manga series, and the other title that made me an otaku. I loved SakuraXSyaoran when I watched Cardcaptor Sakura, and seeing them again made the series all the better! :)

3. Fruits Basket - My favorite shojo manga of all time. I love the romance, and I can really feel for the characters as they describe their life experiences. I can relate to a couple of them, too...

*THE OTHER MANGA*

1. .hack//Legend of the Twilight - I got it because it seemed interesting and it was short, and therefore a cheap investment. It's nothing that I think would go very high on my top 10 list (if it'd make it there at all), but I liked it quite a bit. I don't regret buying it.

2. Angelic Layer - I thought the anime was cute. Nothing exceptional, but cute. I enjoyed watching it. I couldn't get into the manga for some reason, though... Not sure why. I think it's because I just didn't care for the artwork, and I didn't feel the characters were being quite as developed.

3. Bakuman - I only read one chapter, so I don't have enough of an idea to really give a good mini review. I liked the chapter, though.

4. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (AKA Sailor Moon) - Some of the characters are pretty annoying (mostly Sailor Moon herself in the beginning, and Sailor Chibi Moon throughout it all), but overall, I loved this manga. I'm really glad it's going to be re-published! :)

5. Bleach - I only read one volume, but I liked it quite a bit. I'm still watching the anime, though. Love it! :)

6. Cardcaptor Sakura - I've only read the first few chapters, but I love them. I've watched the entire anime series and adore it.

7. Full Moon wo Sagashite - This is one of those titles that's a perfect blend of melancholy and happiness. I definitely want to get around to finishing this sometime.

8. Fullmetal Alchemist - I liked the first few chapters of the manga that I read. I liked the anime, and fans have all told me that Brotherhood is light-years better. So, I'm sure I'll like the manga better too. :)

9. Goth - Don't get me wrong, I'm a proud goth myself and a huge fan of Gothic literature. I'm a major Poe fan... but this was just too much for me. I think actually *seeing* all the gore just got to me a little too much. The language was even more of a downside for me. I loved the premise, though.

10. High School Debut - I only read about a volume or so, but I thought the volume was cute. I didn't think it was anything all that exceptional... but it was definitely cute, and had a promising premise.

11. Kingdom Hearts - It's nothing I'd put in my top ten, but it was something fun to read. Now I can at least say I've read the manga.

12. Magic Knight Rayearth - I loved this trilogy. It was very addicting, and I plan on starting up the sequel trilogy sometime.

13. Mamotte! Lollipop - I only read a few chapters... It was cute. Nothing I'd put in my top 10, but cute. I watched the entire anime, though. I love Zero and Ichii, but Nina gets on my nerves. I did like the original concept of having a love triangle between two magical boys with combat-related powers and a human girl, though.

14. Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch - The story was cute at times, and I liked the drawings... But the way the plot was executed was just awful. I didn't like the premise of the second story arc all that much, either. I finished reading it just because I was curious as to where it would go and I also liked the cuteness and the romance, but it epically failed to deliver it in a very likable way. I debated dropping the series more times than I can remember before finishing.

15. Ouran High School Host Club - Only read a volume or so, but it's something I enjoy quite a bit. I watched the entire anime (which I adored), and I want to get to reading the rest of the manga very soon.

16. Parallel Sailor Moon - Eh, I don't really consider this much of a "title" but more of a compliment to Sailor Moon itself... But since it's listed separately on MAL, I'll just come out and say it's nothing exceptional. It was cute, though.

17. Revolutionary Girl Utena - This is a "Do Not Discuss" title, so I'll refrain from posting my opinion.

18. Rurouni Kenshin - I *LOVE* this manga up to the point I got to. I really want to finish it...

19. Tokyo Mew Mew - It was... cute. Nothing all that great in my opinion, though. The characters were all kind of annoying, except Zakuro and Ryou. I didn't like any of the other female characters, and Masaya's just too perfect. The villains rarely even seemed all that villainous, too. It's like the whole villainous premise was just a big parody...

20. Tokyo Mew Mew a La Mode - I only read one volume, and I didn't like it at all. Mew Berry is a pointless character and the prime example of a Mary Sue. She masters her powers and becomes the new leader too quickly for her to be a very realistic and likable character (to me). I think she could've been a cute new addition, but not as the "new leader"... I don't particularly care for how the villains are portrayed, either. I'm debating reading the second volume just for the sake of being able to say that I read all of the Tokyo Mew Mew manga, but if it were any longer, I would definitely say "forget it".

21. Vampire Knight - I *LOVE* the volumes I've read so far... But in regards to the future volumes...[spoiler]I know it gets worse after where I've gotten, though... And I haven't read up very far but I know about the implied incest and her being with Kaname. I don't know much other than this, and I don't want to be told much other than this, but I don't like the idea. So, I don't know how I'd feel about later volumes. Knowledge of this happening is the *ONLY* reason why I didn't give it a 10 on MAL. But, I did watch all of the anime (including Guilty), and I know it follows the manga closely.[/spoiler]

22. Wolf's Rain - I enjoyed the story quite a bit. The premise was great and I loved all four of the male wolves. I just wish that the language was less frequent, and the story was longer.

23. xxxHOLiC - I've only read one volume, but I watched the entire first season of the anime. The volume has promise, and I did enjoy it (save the occasional fanservice-ish moment), but I can't tell you much other than that.

Well... That's just about everything I can think of to say. Sorry that most of these titles have incomplete opinions, but I don't have much cash or very many ways to get to a place to read these series very much, so that's why. :-/

If you're wondering what I typically look for, I prefer shonen over shojo, but I do like the occasional good romance. I also like darker, more melancholy sorts of stories (to satisfy the goth in me). If it helps, feel free to look at my anime list and see the type of anime I enjoy, too.

***EDIT***

Also - don't put too much stock in my "Plan To Read" list. There are still a few there that I'd want to read, but a lot of those are titles I added a few years ago and haven't paid much attention to since. I've slowly been doing a mass-clean of my list and removing titles that don't hold my interest anymore, but I still have a bit of a ways to go.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:36 am

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1475022) wrote:Hey everybody. :) So, I'm here for some manga recommendations. My manga list is *very* small compared to my anime list, so I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me a bit.

Here's my manga list... http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/mysngoeshere56

Okay, lessee:

1. Gakuen Alice- a very nice shoujo about kids with powers going to a school for them. Very, very little language, and apart from one underwear scene in the first volume (you don't even see it, you see the aftermath), no fanservice since they're kids. Mikan reminds me of a ditzier Horu. And definitely goes in a darker direction than the anime.

2. Someday's Dreamers- this is a little more melancholy, with a girl trying to become a registered wizard and messing it up, learning about how to really use her powers to help someone.

3. Special A- a girl goes to an elite school and has an intense rivalry with a guy she's known from childhood. Not too shabby for a shoujo. The main is more hot-tempered than in Ouran, for sure.

4. Hikaru no Go- pretty intense for a series about a board game. Basically, Hikaru finds an old Go board with a spirit attached to it. This spirit encourages him to learn to play, while Hikaru has to deal with making friends and winning.

5. To Terra... - a boy is discovered to have special powers and really be an advanced being called a Mu, where those that are Mu are killed without hesitation. He's saved, and he and the surviving Mu decide to go to Earth to demand freedom and equality.

6. Bamboo Blade- pretty decent comedy about a girl's kendo team. Fairly lighthearted.
Atria35

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:39 am

Hmm, most of those sound pretty interesting. I've never even heard of 2, 5, and 6 before but all the titles sound like they'd have something enjoyable about them. :) I've heard several good things about Gakuen Alice before but I've never actually looked into the series very much. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll be sure to check those out.

If you guys have any more ideas, feel free to send them. As you can see, my manga list is *very* underpopulated... >_>
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Maokun » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:03 am

If you really liked Tsubasa RC you should try to finish XXXholic, which is it's complementary piece.
Maokun

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:38 am

@mysngoeshere56 - Okay, first I have a couple of comments and then I'll get to the recommendations. :)

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1475022) wrote:...I did watch all of the anime (including Guilty), and I know it follows the manga closely.
:rant:

Sorry, sorry-- but I just had to comment on this. :sweat: You see, the Vampire Knight anime only closely follows the manga for the first 12 episodes of the first season. After that, well... you said you had already seen both seasons, so I'll direct you to my detailed post about this. Suffice it to say, the manga is much, *much* better (particularly when it comes to VK: Guilty-- you'll see why when you read that other post).

As for the [spoiler]implied incest, since you've seen the anime then you know it's not quite as severe (at least between Yuki and Kaname) as it seems, what with his real identity. But, of course, how much that bothers someone is up to them personally, so I have no influence there. :)[/spoiler] In the end, though, since you liked the anime and the chapters of the manga you've read so far, please definitely continue the manga (especially for the reasons I mentioned in the linked post)! :)

Oh, and BTW, that's awesome about D.N.Angel-- because that was actually my very first (and also still one of my favorite) manga, as well! :thumb: (And don't even get me started on how awesome Fruits Basket is {though I think you can gather what I think about it from my avatar and footer anyway :grin:}!)

Now, as for actual recommendations, which is of course what you posted in here for :sweat:, I'd second Atria's rec. of Hikaru no Go (I'm only on vol. 4 of it right now, and usually don't recommend things until I finish what's been published so far, but I will this time because yes, it's quite good)]Death Note[/B] (though I guess that's also pretty obvious from my footer, LOL :grin:). Also, anything else rated an 8 or higher on my MAL (links below). :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:53 pm

@Maokun - I thought I should do that sometime, for the same reason. Thanks for confirming that it's a good choice! :)

@MangaRocks! - In regards to VK, now that you mention it, I *think* (not completely sure, but I think) I heard it closely followed the manga back when episodes were still being released... Hmmm that's interesting. I'll have to read more of the manga.

And thanks for seconding Hikaru No Go (definitely checking it out now), and I'll be sure to look through your MAL.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:06 pm

@mysngoeshere56 - You're quite welcome! :) Oh, and (apparently right while you were writing that :sweat:) I had literally *just* edited my post to also add a rec. for Death Note (...actually, I can't believe I didn't have that in there originally-- it *is* my second-favorite manga of all time at the moment, after all! :sweat:-- and, judging from your post and lists, I'm thinking you might like that, too). :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Atria35 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:16 pm

^ I'll go ahead and second Death Note.

And I'll add Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit - this manga is more thoughtful and melancholy than most, since it focuses on the last 24 hours of people doomed to die, and how they deal with it. There is a little gore (minimal, thank goodness), and very little language or action. It is heavy stuff, though. I love it. It has happy stories (as happy as you can get with something like this) and sad ones and bittersweet ones.
Atria35

Postby Sapphire225 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:27 am

I'm looking for a good psychological horror manga which stars High school (or high school aged) teeenagers. I have read (or currently reading) Higurashi, Judge, Uzumaki and Doubt. I can take up to violence to high degrees (like Gantz and Elfen Lied level). I'm not a fan of fanservice, but I do not mind it as long as it is in the bounds of not crossing over to being complete ecchi.

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Atria35 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:57 am

Sapphire225 (post: 1475349) wrote:I'm looking for a good psychological horror manga which stars High school (or high school aged) teeenagers. I have read (or currently reading) Higurashi, Judge, Uzumaki and Doubt. I can take up to violence to high degrees (like Gantz and Elfen Lied level). I'm not a fan of fanservice, but I do not mind it as long as it is in the bounds of not crossing over to being complete ecchi.

Alive: The Final Evolution - I read the first volume. I believe it gets darker from here on in. Minimal fanservice.

Ibitsu- Just... yeah.

Hohzuki Island, Cossette no Shouzou,

I'd also recommending Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service- This does have nudity in it when dealing with the dead (sometimes- this is not always the case), but due to it being with the dead it's not fanservice. They're just naked bodies- it's not presented as titillating in the least. You do need to watch out for the first story arc, though, since [spoiler]it's the first (and only, really) arc that delves into something a little more disturbing than usual. Basically, a girl dies to escape her father's abuse. Her father takes the body and starts to touch it- chest area- but it's quickly stopped. If you can get past that one panel, you're good to go.[/spoiler]
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:14 am

Wow, I thought I was the only one around here that even knew about Uzumaki.

If you can tolerate shounen-ai to a degree, Petshop of Horrors is in my opinion one of the best psychological horror manga out there. If you can tolerate poor art, Rumiko Takahashi's Mermaid Forest could be a good suggestion too.

EDIT: if you don't mind me suggesting an anime series, you can hardly do better than Boogiepop Phantom.
Maokun

Postby Atria35 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:25 am

Maokun (post: 1475384) wrote:Wow, I thought I was the only one around here that even knew about Uzumaki.

I wrote a review for it for here, actually. (wasn't my favorite, really, but not too shabby).

Oh, and +1 to Petshop of Horrors. I enjoyed that one a lot.
Atria35

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks for the new recommendations! :) Ikigami sounds like a very interesting manga premise... I'll definitely look a little more into that one.

Feel free to keep recommendations coming if anybody thinks of anything. As you can see, my manga list could use more building up... >_<

**EDIT** I'll be adding these next two paragraphs for some more clarification...

I like action and romance manga, too. If you guys can think of an action series I might like, feel free to give me one. As far as romance goes, the only ones I've found that I know I like are Fruits Basket and Ouran High School Host Club. I typically like the premises of others, but the stories just don't play out to my liking. I liked the romantic idea in Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch and the whole beach/summer setting was great, but the characters were all just too shallow and annoying for me. Not to mention, it was pretty mediocre in terms of action for a "magical girl" series... To me, anyway. I have different standards for magical girl stuff that I like. :)

And as far as what Sapphire is looking for, I'm typically into that sort of manga too. So, I'll probably end up checking out everything you guys recommend to her too. :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Sapphire225 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:16 pm

Atria35 (post: 1475377) wrote:Alive: The Final Evolution - I read the first volume. I believe it gets darker from here on in. Minimal fanservice.

I've actually read Alive: The Final Evolution Such a good manga, you should totally keep reading, it only gets better. Its a shame the mangaka died not to long after. :(

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to search and start them ASAP.

Maokun (post: 1475384) wrote:Wow, I thought I was the only one around here that even knew about Uzumaki.

If you can tolerate shounen-ai to a degree, Petshop of Horrors is in my opinion one of the best psychological horror manga out there. If you can tolerate poor art, Rumiko Takahashi's Mermaid Forest could be a good suggestion too.

EDIT: if you don't mind me suggesting an anime series, you can hardly do better than Boogiepop Phantom.

Glad I'm not the only one who read it. I've actually watched Boogiepop already, you can't go wrong with that! I have heard of Petshop of Horrors but never read them. I'll definately give it a shot then. I didn't know Rumiko Takahashi did horror. But I can see it in the violent overtone of Inuyasha.

Sapphire225

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews