Manga Recommendations Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby SeraphicCharm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:59 pm

okay, thank you!

@ Hat'n'Clogs: as far as genres go, i like cute, clean, and funny, and i also like fantasy/adventure.

i'm also going to try reading Azumanga Daioh
SeraphicCharm

Postby airichan623 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:45 pm

SeraphicCharm (post: 1364323) wrote:okay, thank you!

@ Hat'n'Clogs: as far as genres go, i like cute, clean, and funny, and i also like fantasy/adventure.

i'm also going to try reading Azumanga Daioh

try yotsuba&! its hilarious, clean, and adorable!

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby SeraphicCharm » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:39 pm

airichan623 (post: 1364392) wrote:try yotsuba&! its hilarious, clean, and adorable!

okay, I'll check it out!

so i tried the Azumanga Daioh...I stopped after I encountered the s-word a few times...

anybody know of really really clean manga, language-wise?
SeraphicCharm

Postby steenajack » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:18 am

Yotsuba& all the way. Very clean and funny. There are only like a couple of minor swears in a couple of chapters. Other than that and a little bit of suggestive humor (very little), everything in here is VERY clean. They have a review here for the manga in case you are interested. :D Also, try Hikaru no Go. Absolutly the cleanest manga I've ever read, and very good. XD! As well as the anime adaptation.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:46 pm

The Viz translation of Bleach has two cuss words, both in the first volume. Otherwise, as of volume 11 it hasn't had a cuss word since.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby yukoxholic » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:42 pm

Amefurashi Volume 1.
yukoxholic

Postby steenajack » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Could anyone tell me more about the violent content in Tsubasa Chronicles the manga? I know that it's supposed get pretty violent after volume 15. Is it mostly just blood/limbs stuff? Or is there gonna be gore? I know a couple of characters loose one of their eyeballs, but I hear it's mostly implied. I'm just wondering how violent does the manga get? Can you compare it to another show/anime/manga/movie as an example? What's the are the most violent scenes in these manga?

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:24 pm

I'm on a hunt for awesome manga!

CONTENT GUIDE:
- Absolutely no yaoi/yuri, please!
- Violence not extremely graphic.
- Little to no cuss words. I can deal with the minor swears here and there, but I prefer to see as little as possible.
- Romance is fine, as long as they don't go beyond hugging and kissing.
- No nudity, please.
- Nothing rated above 13+
- As far as magic is concerned, nothing too "realistic", magic girl or fantasy type magic is fine, but nothing too close to real witchcraft.
- Genres: slice of life, shoujo, shounen, action/adventure, sci-fi, fantasy, magic girl, comedy

A list of manga I am reading:
- Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
- xxxHOLiC
- Angelic Layer
- Dream Saga

A list of manga I plan on reading:
- Hikaru no Go
- Yobatsu&!
- Saint Tail
- Land Of The Blindfolded

THANK YOU!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist-I'm not sure if this one quite falls within your guidelines, as the violence on rare occasion is mildly gory, and the cussing is more than occasional, though it certainly isn't a cluster F-Bomb. But if it does work, please check it out, the series is a masterpiece of well-written characters, a fantastic storyline and some thought-provoking questions. One extremely minor character has a couple homosexual lines, but otherwise the series is clean sexually.

Azumanga Daioh: This may seem rather foreign, as its written in four panel yonkoma rather than chapters, but its hilarious and rather touching at times. Beyond a couple discussions about breast size and a cuss word here or there, the manga is very clean. It is also by the same mangaka of Yotsuba.

I don't know how big you are on shoneny action titles, but you may enjoy Rurouni Kenshin. Their is a fair amount of blood, with one death in a very violent way about in the middle of the series. Beyond the violence though, the series is pretty clean.

Ouran High School Host Club is a very funny parody of shojou early on, but then later becomes full on shojou. Two male twins will say gay things to each other as a joke and to draw their client's attention, but are very straight, as you will see later in the series. The main character's dad, a minor character, is a transgender, and three minor characters are lesbians. Beyond that, the manga is very clean.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby AnimeGirl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:57 am

steenajack (post: 1367095) wrote:Could anyone tell me more about the violent content in Tsubasa Chronicles the manga? I know that it's supposed get pretty violent after volume 15. Is it mostly just blood/limbs stuff? Or is there gonna be gore? I know a couple of characters loose one of their eyeballs, but I hear it's mostly implied. I'm just wondering how violent does the manga get? Can you compare it to another show/anime/manga/movie as an example? What's the are the most violent scenes in these manga?

Though I have not read that far, I've skimmed through it at the bookstore to see if I'd be able to stomach reading the rest of the series (since I knew how violent the OVAs are, I wanted to be sure...). But yes, it is implied, but NOT seen.

For more detail (and spoilers) highlight to reveal:
[spoiler]Yes, there are a couple "eye pulling out scenes" HOWEVER it is not shown. One of the Syaorans you see him put his hand over his eye, indicating he is going to pull it out, but the next panel you see his hand over the eye of the other Syaoran, so the actual pulling is not scene. Also I'm sure you're aware of one of the Syaorans eating Fai's eye? You do not see this take place, however, you do see the aftermath, Syaoran's bloody hand over his mouth, indicating he's chewing on it. There's alot more blood in violence after volume 15, it is true, but it's only 13+ so it cannot go too far, unlike the OVAs. Also you do see stabbing scenes, where the sword DOES COME OUT THE OTHER SIDE, but I assure you, there is no gore.[/spoiler]

So, I hope that helps! The series does get hard to continue, because it's not just the violent content, but it becomes really sad later on, so just warning you! But the violence does not go beyond 13+.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:32 am

As I have kept up with this series and have all volumes, I can verify Animegirl's description, plus note that this is typical of all violence in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. CLAMP pulls no punches when it comes to plot content, but they do not revel in drawing the gore. I think they are writing for a broader audience. Those who want the gore are given plenty of cues from which their imaginations can fill it in, and those who don't are spared the explicit drawings.

While it is, at this point, a very sad story, I keep hoping for some sort of brighter future, and I think CLAMP is intending the reader to be doing so. Sort of a hope-within-the-tragedy vibe. (Note I am not reading ahead in scanlations; I only read scanlates for series that stand no chance of coming to the English language market. So my comments strictly reflect the series as published in English.) Nevertheless, my college-age son keeps griping about how 'dark' the story turned. He liked it better in the early volumes.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby steenajack » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:47 pm

Thank you guys for the info. Since that kind of violence doesn't bother me too much in manga, I think I will read it. It sounds really good.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby steenajack » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:31 am

Does anyone here know anything about a manga called Pandora Hearts? It looks and sounds pretty interesting. Can anyone give me any info about the content of this manga?

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby ebonyrose » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm afraid I haven't read too much of Pandora's Hearts. I got a bit distracted... ^-^;
However, what I did read was extremely interesting. Albeit, it can be a bit confusing at times. Content-wise... hmmm... I think there may have been some cussing, there's no sexual content, there is blood (someone is stabbed, I think)... Religion-wise, there's a lot of mention about sin and such, but that's more of in a judge/jury type way, if you understand.
PLEASE note that I only read about one volume and that was a few months ago. It's the best I can do.

Hmmm... I think I shall give this a shot!

So... I'm reading Deadman Wonderland right now. It's cool and all, but the amount of violence is starting to get to me (it's not as heavy as Doubt, but it's more frequent. Plus, the cussing is worse and there's one character who is like completely naked at all times. O_o XD) I'm still giving it a shot, but I'd like some back up, just in case.

I'm okay with:
*Most violence, though preferably not prolonged torture scenes (of people getting their eyes ripped out... *shudder*)
*No sex please.
*Language I can generally stand as well. Just nothing too pervasive. For instance, f-bombs start to bug me seriously after the 3rd one per manga, and even lesser swear words get to me if they're in every other word bubble.
*I wouldn't like anything witchcrafty. Supernatural thingies (like Shinigami in Death Note) are okay, just nothing with detailed rituals or such.
*I'll take any age range, depending on why it's rated the way it is. I'm usually more lenient with language and violence.
*No/very little nudity, please.

I'm looking for:
*Something serious. I enjoy dark-ish mangas, such as Death Note and Doubt.
*Shounen, preferably. I despise Shoujo (with the exception of Skip Beat!) with a passion...
*Mayhaps something scary? Horror is always good, I'm just pretty inexperienced.
*Something not too terribly long. I have a short attention span. -_-
This shall be updated when I decide that I have something interesting enough to say! Until then, let's watch this little smiley guy slam his head into a wall!
:bang:
Hehe... that's way too amusing...
ebonyrose

Postby PrincessZelda » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:09 pm

You know, I've been looking for some new manga to read lately. I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions based on what I like :D

Here's a list of some of my favorites:
Ouran High School Host Club
Fullmetal Alchemist
Death Note
Fruits Basket
Full Moon O Sagashite
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby wildpurplechild » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Has anyone read air gear? I'd like to know what it's about. Please include a content reveiw.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby blkmage » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Air Gear contains large amounts of fanservice, occasional appearances by Barack Obama, and a largely nonsensical plot.
blkmage

Postby wildpurplechild » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks blkmage, sounds like I might want to pass on that one! Barrack Obama?! Seriously?!
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:42 pm

wildpurplechild (post: 1379913) wrote:!Barrack Obama?! Seriously?!

Sorry sorry, I couldn't help it XDDD
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby steenajack » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:45 pm

PrincessZelda (post: 1376206) wrote:You know, I've been looking for some new manga to read lately. I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions based on what I like :D

Fullmetal Alchemist
Death Note
Fruits Basket
Full Moon O Sagashite

You could try out Hikaru no Go. If you like the art in Death Note, the art in the manga is done by the same artist. The story is pretty neat too. They have a review for the anime here. The content for the anime is the same as the manga I would say. Which, there isn't much content in here at all. VERY VERY clean, and a very interesting storyline.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby steenajack » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1379916) wrote:Image

:oWHATTHE-!!!!!!:eyebrow:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:38 pm

PrincessZelda (post: 1376206) wrote:You know, I've been looking for some new manga to read lately. I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions based on what I like :D

Fullmetal Alchemist
Death Note
Fruits Basket
Full Moon O Sagashite

Well, I don't know if you'd really care for it (it does feature "magic" and "mages" as part of normal society), but I really enjoyed Someday's Dreamers (the original- if it has a subtitle anywhere on it then it's not the original, this story has 2 spin-off mangas). Skip Beat! is also a really good shoujo, very clean and funny, about a girl trying to become a star to get revenge on her ex but learning that's not why one should be a star. Hollow Fields- children's manga, very clean, fun (though a little dark, but no magic/nudity/swearing) but watch out- the ending can feel a bit lacking since it's only 3 volumes long. Gakuen Alice is also a lot of fun- more majou shoujo than anything, but also has some darker themes. More for the yonger teen. Ummm, that one has some awkward moments (the first time the main boy and girl meet, he ends up with her panties- but we don't see anything, and it's really non-sexual, as odd as that sounds, and he uses them as blackmail.) No swearing/nudity, it is a school for magical geniuses- but again, it's mahou shoujo.
Atria35

Postby wildpurplechild » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:56 pm

could someone review Full Moon O Sagashite for me please? I read the first volume but I'm worried that [SPOILER] Takuto isn't her dad is he? :s [/SPOILER]
wildpurplechild

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:47 pm

wildpurplechild (post: 1384347) wrote:could someone review Full Moon O Sagashite for me please? I read the first volume but I'm worried that [SPOILER] Takuto isn't her dad is he? :s [/SPOILER]

No. He's not. But saying anything more would be a spoiler! ;)
Atria35

Postby airichan623 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:36 pm

ebonyrose (post: 1372348) wrote:
I'm looking for:
*Something serious. I enjoy dark-ish mangas, such as Death Note and Doubt.
*Shounen, preferably. I despise Shoujo (with the exception of Skip Beat!) with a passion...
*Mayhaps something scary? Horror is always good, I'm just pretty inexperienced.
*Something not too terribly long. I have a short attention span. -_-

Might I suggest xxxHolic? It's gothic/dark and thought provoking. it is 13 books long tho.... thats not too long is it? it has new "stories" every few chapters tho, so it doesnt get old. the only issue you might have an issue with is one of the main characters is HEAVY on the upper female fanservice, if you catch my drift. :red: but no nudity.
Tsukuyomi (post: 1379916) wrote:Image

LOL :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: hard core. i wonder if president obama has seen this...LOL

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby acgifford » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:34 pm

A manga I just started is Maximum Ride. It has some cussing and violence, but neither are to bad. I amreally enjoying and would recomend it. Like I said, the violence isn't to bad and neither is the cussing. It's a new series and book three has only came out recently. I have read 1 and 2. Very good.
acgifford

Postby knightlee » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:46 pm

Hey all! I'm new here, and looking for some recommendations. I'm not all that picky, but I lean towards manga with well planned/interesting story lines, and at least a little bit of comedy. I don't mind violence or swearing so long as it doesn't take up the entire manga, and, while I won't read anything that is very explicit, I can deal with adult concepts for the most part. I like to avoid "fanservice" as much as possible, though.
One thing I cannot stand are characters that are overly cute (like, to the point of being unrealistic) or obsessive over other characters. I don't mind character quirks, but it makes my eyes bleed when I have to read yet another story about a young girl obsessing over a gorgeous guy. Romance is fine, I just don't like for it to be the whole plot. Oh, and I stay away from girl/girl, guy/guy romantic pairings.

Thanks in advance! Fire away!
knightlee

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:16 pm

knightlee (post: 1384967) wrote:Hey all! I'm new here, and looking for some recommendations. I'm not all that picky, but I lean towards manga with well planned/interesting story lines, and at least a little bit of comedy. I don't mind violence or swearing so long as it doesn't take up the entire manga, and, while I won't read anything that is very explicit, I can deal with adult concepts for the most part. I like to avoid "fanservice" as much as possible, though.
One thing I cannot stand are characters that are overly cute (like, to the point of being unrealistic) or obsessive over other characters. I don't mind character quirks, but it makes my eyes bleed when I have to read yet another story about a young girl obsessing over a gorgeous guy. Romance is fine, I just don't like for it to be the whole plot. Oh, and I stay away from girl/girl, guy/guy romantic pairings.

Thanks in advance! Fire away!

Perhaps, a list of the manga you have read already may help us help you a bit better ^__^? So, we don't suggest something you have already read ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby knightlee » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Well, tell you the truth, I haven't really read that much manga. I've read a few volumes of Fullmetal Alchemist (which I enjoyed), some Rurouni Kenshin (liked, but not as much as FMA), and most of the volumes of From Far Away (cute, but it got boring). Other than that, I'm a manga/anime newbie.
knightlee

Postby blkmage » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:08 pm

Since the amount of stuff you've read isn't that much, I'll be spewing out a bunch of stuff for you to check out. I have no idea if you'll like all of them, but it should expose you to a lot more stuff than you've already seen. Also, this is stuff that I really like.

Bakuman is about two high school kids and their journey to become successful professional manga-ka. It actually has a lot of interesting stuff about the ins and outs of the production, publishing and serialization of manga. You'd be surprised at how much drama and suspense can be derived from trying make a manga successful.

Mirai Nikki is about an anti-social guy who gets thrown into a game where he has to fend for his life against eleven other people, all of whom have been bestowed with special Future Diaries. Each diary has a specific aspect of the future they can see, which they use to plot against other diary holders while staying alive.

Cross Game is about a bunch of childhood friends and how their lives are affected by baseball and how they deal with loss. Yes, there's baseball, but there is an underlying theme to the entire thing that begins with something that happens fairly early, setting the rest of the story up.

Kare Kano is a romance about two top students. The story explores their relationship and delves into questions of identity and self-worth. Unlike most shoujo series, the main relationship is set up pretty quickly and there's not too much of the stupid miscommunication/misunderstanding trope that gets trotted out. I guess it's nice to have two smart leads.

Beck is a coming-of-age story about a shy Japanese kid's introduction to and journey through the world of rock music. This is really good.

Aqua and Aria is a slice of life series that looks at snapshots in the life of Akari Mizunashi as she trains to become a professional gondolier in the city of Neo-Venezia on Mars in the 24th century. This is slice of life at its purest, with each chapter following Akari as she explores the city and finds enjoyment in everything and everyone that she encounters.

Solanin is a story about a bunch of graduates fresh out of college and the struggles they encounter as they enter the real world. As someone who's on the cusp of graduating, the themes that are explored in this story really resonated with me in a way that was quite unnerving.

Nodame Cantabile is the story of two conservatory students and follows the development of their relationship and their profession. Tons and tons of music in this one; it made me nostalgic for my instrument-playing and music class days.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews