Serenity (a christian manga?)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Serenity (a christian manga?)

Postby Wise Dragon » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:41 am

I was looking through a christian book ordering magazine and I saw this book called Serenity. Its apparently a christian Manga and Ive never heard of it before. Could it possibly be that a christian Manga has finnally arived or is this just an imitation by an American artists? Has anyone ever herd of this one before?
Wise Dragon

Location: North Carolina (Lost in the vast empty wasteland of my mind.)

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:28 am

Yes, as a matter of fact. There have been several threads about it. Given that it is actually in stores now, however, I will allow this thread to become the principal discussion of it.

As for information on the subject,
the publisher: http://www.barbourbooks.com/
the series site: http://www.serenitybuzz.com/
and a link to limited information on the first four volumes: http://www.barbourbooks.com/searchtitles?searchterm=SERENITY

With that aside, on to my personal opinion. I myself have not read it (excepting the on-site preview), though I will the next time I am in a large enough bookstore. Hence, I reserve the right to complete change my opinion at any time.

As to its status as manga or an American imitation, the line is blurred (which bothers me not in the slightest). It reads left to right and is in color, but it uses eastern paneling and the artist is Min Kwon. Ultimately, I would call it neither if I had to classify it.

Based purely upon the reviews, the synopsis and preview, I... (how to put it?) have yet to be impressed. My impressions may be biased due to the considerable negative connotations with marketing schemes that say "tween girls" and " 'tude." On the other hand, it could have been much worse. Whether the main character is actually believable will largely depend on how she develops. Though by large I found the dialogue a bit weak, I did like this bit:
"My life's a joke that I'm not in on. Nobody cares!"
"God cares."
"That's the biggest joke of all."

I am not a big art critic, so my only comment in that regard is that more (and stranger) "unrealistic" art was used than I typically want in my manga.
uc pseudonym

Postby Hoshika » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:24 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:
With that aside, on to my personal opinion. I myself have not read it (excepting the on-site preview), though I will the next time I am in a large enough bookstore. Hence, I reserve the right to complete change my opinion at any time.

As to its status as manga or an American imitation, the line is blurred (which bothers me not in the slightest). It reads left to right and is in color, but it uses eastern paneling and the artist is Min Kwon. Ultimately, I would call it neither if I had to classify it.

Based purely upon the reviews, the synopsis and preview, I... (how to put it?) have yet to be impressed. My impressions may be biased due to the considerable negative connotations with marketing schemes that say "tween girls" and " 'tude." On the other hand, it could have been much worse. Whether the main character is actually believable will largely depend on how she develops. Though by large I found the dialogue a bit weak, I did like this bit:
"My life's a joke that I'm not in on. Nobody cares!"
"God cares."
"That's the biggest joke of all."

I am not a big art critic, so my only comment in that regard is that more (and stranger) "unrealistic" art was used than I typically want in my manga.

True for the most part the dialog is rather weak and while it does spark some interest depending on how the rest of the story goes beyond the preview can make or break it. The art is a bit weak too. I'm used to seeing more detail, next is the coloring- cring, what's with that dress the mother is wearing? Also the imaging seems a little blurry, maybe that's due to poor electronic imaging. I just hope the actual product does't look like that.

Calling Serenity a manga though I think is just a way of getting attention for it, seeing how it seems to try and imitate the art style used in a lot of anime released in the States coupled with the fact it doesn't look like any manga I've seem...(back to the art being a rather weak). All that aside Stan Lee reviewed the 'manga' and actually liked it so I'm guessing all worries may more than likely be unfounded about this graphic novel. I'd buy it...
Hoshika

Postby That Dude » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:08 am

Looks interesting...I don't really like that it is in color but that's not a big deal. I'll probably pick it up at the library if they get it.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby heero yuy 95 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:04 pm

*Reads first page of preview*
Wow! It's in color! It looks like they did it on Photoshop! And even though she is sitting in her living room, there's a huge white abyss in the background! Oh, wait, there ISN'T a background!
Okay, enough ranting. I think the idea of a christian manga is awesome, and judging from what I've read, I must admit that I really like where's the story's going. It's really cool that christian manga artists are standing out, but does the story and its message have to be dampened by such a weak art style? But then again, let's think about the targeted age group. This book may have a weak art style, but it's still great for the younger audience. It's easy when you're a teenager or young adult and an anime/manga fan to say that the art style is weak, but kids and preteens probably won't be quite so prone to notice. I remember when I watched Robotech back in the day, I didn't notice the dated animation. So, while this may not be the best stuff I've ever seen, it can still be a good book with a great message to the younger crowd. Just my two cents.
'listen to me, Grel, these constant failures have been causing me to lose face, and if you keep it up i shan't spare yours!" -Khyron the Destroyer

"why throw away your life so recklessly!"
"that's a question you should be asking yourself, megatron."
-transformers the movie

http://starfoxman.deviantart.com/

^ My Manga!!! Check it out!
heero yuy 95

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:16 am

In all honesty it is the message that I am most worried about. Any conversion story runs the risk of feeling unrealistic and (worse) evangelatory. If properly done, it will speak for itself; there shouldn't be a need to create painfully fabricated set ups to pound moral values into readers (please note that's a general statement - it is much too early to apply anything of the sort to this manga). What I saw of this in the preview did not encourage me, but this isn't something that I should form an opinion on from only 16 pages.
uc pseudonym

Postby That Dude » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:48 am

I'd have to agree with UC on this...Christian entertainment usually comes off as kinda corny when it's all evangelatory. I like it when it's latently there. It's usually better when it's just them writing a story and their love for god just kinda seeps through it. Do you know what I mean?
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Mave » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:31 pm

I have to admit that what bothered me the most was how everyone was looking at the main character so disapprovingly upon initial impression and spouting biblical verses all the way.

It bothers me even more knowing that this does happen in real life.

I sincerely hope that someone takes the time to get to know the main character more personally and demonstrate true love.
Mave

Postby Heart of Sword » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:23 pm

Hmm...with me, manga means black and white. And judging from the name of the "mangaka," I think it's Korean, so would it be mangwha?
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:10 am

Heart of Sword wrote:Hmm...with me, manga means black and white. And judging from the name of the "mangaka," I think it's Korean, so would it be mangwha?

"mahnwa" is the correct word, I believe. Possibly, yeah. Or it might be "world mahnwa/manga"
Ichigo_89

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:54 am

For this thread, I am going to have to ask everyone to leave the subject of the definition of "manga" aside. I simply don't think it will contribute to anything. And by "ask" I mean "enforce by editing."

Mave wrote:I have to admit that what bothered me the most was how everyone was looking at the main character so disapprovingly upon initial impression and spouting biblical verses all the way.

I sincerely hope that someone takes the time to get to know the main character more personally and demonstrate true love.

That is definitely part of it. But on the other hand, it is possible that the story will actually be two levels higher than we're looking at it: what if it addresses the self-righteous and simplistic attitudes of the Christians, and makes these things something they have to overcome? That is the type of thing that would impress me but that I don't know from just this preview (though I have my suspicions).

Another similar thing, involving these lines:
"My parents are divorced and I'm okay!"
(coughs)
"What?"

I can't decide if this is merely moderately funny, or the author pounding his morality into the heads of readers.
uc pseudonym

Postby heero yuy 95 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:58 pm

(coughs)
"What?"

Yeah, that kinda' bugged me. It looked like they were snickering at her. does the author think that's funny?! I have a good friend whose parents nearly got divorced and there's nothing funny about it.
'listen to me, Grel, these constant failures have been causing me to lose face, and if you keep it up i shan't spare yours!" -Khyron the Destroyer

"why throw away your life so recklessly!"
"that's a question you should be asking yourself, megatron."
-transformers the movie

http://starfoxman.deviantart.com/

^ My Manga!!! Check it out!
heero yuy 95

Postby Mave » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:56 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:That is definitely part of it. But on the other hand, it is possible that the story will actually be two levels higher than we're looking at it: what if it addresses the self-righteous and simplistic attitudes of the Christians, and makes these things something they have to overcome? That is the type of thing that would impress me but that I don't know from just this preview (though I have my suspicions).

Glad to see we're on the same page and I probably didn't demonstrate it as clearly in my previous post. I'm perfectly fine with addressing the self-righteous atttitudes of some Christians, some of us could always use eye-openers every now and then. I deeply hope the author intends to go past that level.

(coughs)
"What?"

I didn't notice this line since I've heard this before in real life. But I would really like to understand the ultimate direction of the story and would need to read further on.
Mave

Postby Hoshika » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:04 am

heero yuy 95 wrote:Yeah, that kinda' bugged me. It looked like they were snickering at her. does the author think that's funny?! I have a good friend whose parents nearly got divorced and there's nothing funny about it.

I saw their reaction to Serenity's statement too and didn't take it as snickering at all. The characters facial expressions covey poorly masked shock and disapproval more than anything- and unless you live in bubble where families don't have serious issues and couples don't get divorced that kind of reaction can seriously rub people the wrong way.

Judging from the summaries for the other volumes I don't think Serenity is going to get into the high and mighty "I'm better than you because I'm a Christian" attitude many have. Based on the summary of the second volume I can almost 100% say Serenity more than like gave her life to Christ by the end of the first manga.

I'm not looking to put this work under a huge microscope because I think it's obvious they are serious newbies when it comes to this kind of thing (or maybe just not very good at it?), but like others I too am worried it will give the wrong idea about what a Christian is and overall the message of Salvation will be utterly lost.
Hoshika

Postby Psycho Ann » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:56 am

Jumping in on the discussion art-wise... I've stated this a couple of times over a few different places that I'm disappointed in the art quality because I'm familiar with the artist's work.

Min 'Keiiii' Kwon is pretty well-known in the online artist community and she had built a solid reputation since I was in my late junior high days (which is, around 5-7 years ago I guess). That's why I was VERY suprised to find out she's a Christian, and even more surprised she's now officially the first 'professional Christian mangaka' (or is that manhwaga?). Though, truthfully speaking, I never favored her anime styled art but her traditional stuff and paintings are absolutely gorgeous (I was relieved(?) to find out she didn't do the coloring in the series--I was seriously questioning her if she did). For those interested, here's her website (http://www.cozypaper.com/). There are some nudity and other stuff in her gallery but she labeled them clearly.

Now, story-wise, I'm not impressed with the preview as well, but Buzz Dixon is pretty well-known in the Christian comics field too. Dunno if that means something good or not. Well, hey, at least (Christian)publishers are now open to manga styles if it does well!!

Regardless of the weaknesses in Serenity, I'm giving it my full support because at this stage any project needs that extra push.
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Gypsy » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:40 am

I was a little bummed about the overall art quality too, but the main point is: it exists. Also, as an employee at a book and Bible store, I must point out how cool it was to put a four-foot cardboard anime display next to the other teen books. It's actually getting a lot of weird looks as you can imagine, but it's a step.

Pshycho Ann wrote:Regardless of the weaknesses in Serenity, I'm giving it my full support because at this stage any project needs that extra push.

I agree. And it's nice to see you kicking around on the boards again. ^^
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby rii namuras » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:14 pm

(...That's the artist from Cozypaper?)

(Wow. I never really minded the art, but now that I know who it is... She really could've done better.)

(But yeah, Christian manga is Christian manga. Maybe this'll help open the door for other Christian mangakas... Which reminds me, I better work on mine...)
rii namuras

Postby Hoshika » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:13 am

I would love to give full support to work that spreads the gospel, but seeing how it still isn't clear what direction Serenity is going in I'm still apprehensive about it. I've read plenty of early "christian" comics published by Chick I believe and they really put some stuff there that was rather off- all Catholics are actually satanist, don't go to ski resorts because they're owned by satanist....etc. While they didn't screw up the message of salvation I don't think focusing so much on demon this satan that and making accusations all over the place ever allowed that truth to breath; that Jesus is the way the truth and the life. I really hope somebody who has copy of the "manga" posts on it soon. Doesn't look like they'll be selling it where I live. :p
Hoshika

Postby Gypsy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:11 am

I picked up my copy yesterday, but I've yet to read it. Anyone who's near a Parable store (or part of the chain) should be able to find a copy. They're on sale this month too, and I think into next month.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Rogie » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:17 pm

I've read the preview, and while I'm certainly unimpressed, I have to say that I almost want to buy it just as a sign of my support for future works like this. If this opens the door somehow, then the quality will surely increase, too.

And who knows? Maybe we'll see one of our CAAer's manga in print like that soon, too... ;)
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby Psycho Ann » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:49 am

Rogie-san... I would just say that although 'soon' isn't quite the word, you guys will XD (not me)

I'm going to borrow Serenity first... then decide if I would like to collect. I probably would, to archive the growth of Christian manga if anything. I firmly believe Serenity would just get better (art-wise and plot-wise hopefully) so it'll be pretty much worth it IMHO.
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby inkhana » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 am

*comes back from the dead*

<.< >.> Yes, I am still alive. XD

I got my copy of Serenity yesterday, but I haven't read it yet (at least, not all the way through). Cal did, and she found many flaws with it, but here's the thing...it's a start. Obviously the artist has some skills...skills can be improved. The writer has some skills...this too can be improved. Obviously the writer and artist are willing to try. But we have to be willing to back them up. It's not enough to pitch something in the trash and say "sorry, better luck next time." Now right about now a lot of people are probably saying to themselves "but we have to get up to industry standards! Secular counterparts are leaving us in the dust." Well, yes. Yes they are. But you know...most Christian endeavors are still in their infancy, and like a baby, these people must be encouraged and trained properly before they can grow into their full potential. And of course, there is the ever present need to wait for God's timing. :) So even if you don't care too much for the product, please at least consider making a purchase to encourage people to get better, and make funds for future, better projects. If nothing else, really constructive feedback does wonders and is worth much in itself.

Ye olde two cents. *shrug*

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Mave » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:49 am

I agree: It's a good start. I honor Serenity with my optimism for it and believe that, just like any other manga series, continual growth and improvements will take place.

Say, how are we supposed to convey any constructive feedback/words of encouragement to the producers of this manga? Is there some email or mailing address information available on the manga itself?
Mave

Postby inkhana » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:50 pm

The only information I've found on the manga itself is for Barbour. Realbuzz Studios has a contact form on their page, but I haven't seen anything else so far. It might be worth a try to send feedback through the form.

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:06 pm

i read the preview of serenity that's available at its website, i also went to the site of the publishing company (not barbour) that's contributing to it being put out, and the way things were presented, currently serenity is the focus of the site, but they made it sound like they were going to start putting out other titles in the future as well, personally i am glad that something like this is being put out just for the meer fact that kids are gonna see it and thinking that its a manga will read it, even if they never pick it up again, the seed will be planted
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:59 pm

I was in several large bookstores yesterday and made an effort to look for this, but none of them had it in stock. Ah, well, I may have to order it. Supporting the industry and all that.
uc pseudonym

Postby Pepper Kittie » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:42 pm

It's in Christian Supply. It was in the add for it last week. If I get the chance to go there sometime soon I'll pick it up. My opinion on it is... well, having the art look great is a plus, but even if it's not the greatest I think it's okay. After all, a lot of us are trying our hand at Christian mangas and we're not as great as we'd like to be. It's the message and heart that matters, right? Hopefully Serenity will prove over time to be a way to reach the world with the gospel. So even if it's a little wierd in the first volume I still want to get it to support what's been started. Maybe the story will get better as the volumes go on ^^
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
~John 10:10

~* Advocate Voice *~
Pepper Kittie

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:38 pm

Hmmm The artist had the ability to do better.... Why didn't she?? But I will probably buy it to support christian manga! I hope some better ones come out! When Is steelblood coming out? Does Real BUzz have any other christian mangas?
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby inkhana » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:13 pm

Hmmm The artist had the ability to do better.... Why didn't she??

Time constraints, maybe? I really don't know...

When Is steelblood coming out?

<.< >.> Um...chicken salad? (I don't know yet ^^;; )

Does Real BUzz have any other christian mangas?

I think they're working on it, but they haven't been put out yet. There's an ad in the back of Serenity promoting work to come, but I don't recall any exact names.

Wow...this post was kind of pointless, as I see I really know nothing. *is humbled* lol

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Wise Dragon » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:45 am

Wow...this post was kind of pointless, as I see I really know nothing. *is humbled* lol

And now were back where we started.:eyeroll:
Wise Dragon

Location: North Carolina (Lost in the vast empty wasteland of my mind.)

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews