What audio book/drama are you listening to?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

What audio book/drama are you listening to?

Postby LecktheTech » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:12 pm

I've been listening to The Screwtape Letters dramatized by Focus on the Family. Hehehhehe..
♪The sword is sharp, the spear is long.

The arrow swift, the gate is strong

The heart is bold, that looks on gold

The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.♪
LecktheTech

Re: What audio book/drama are you listening to?

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:56 pm

<_< ..... >_>

Well, even if nobody else is listening to anything, I've been listening to the Graphic Audio recording of Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson, which is AMAZING.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Sheenar » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:00 am

the_wolfs_howl wrote:<_< ..... >_>

Well, even if nobody else is listening to anything, I've been listening to the Graphic Audio recording of Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson, which is AMAZING.

Where did you find it? Sanderson has been highly recommended by friends. It's just hard to know where to start with his novels. There are so many series to choose from.

Also, I'm trying to find sources for audiobooks for free rental or low cost. I'm not able to pay for Audible at this time, but can check out audiobooks through my library's Overdrive collection. They have some books available, but not a lot on my "want to read/listen" list. Any other suggestions?
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Mistborn is a great place to start for Brandon Sanderson; it's what made me a fan. I think it offers a good idea of how he takes fantasy tropes and plays around with them. The audiobook I'm listening to is from Graphic Audio, which makes audiobooks that are supposed to be like "a movie in your mind," as their motto goes. It's like Focus on the Family's Radio Theatre productions (Narnia, Screwtape, etc.), where they have different voice actors for different characters, complete soundtracks with music and sound effects, and basically everything short of actual visuals. I just finished part 1 of The Final Empire, and so far it's been very good. There were a few minor issues I've had with their choices (and one major gripe: They completely cut out the first sentence of the book, "Ash fell from the sky," which makes absolutely no sense!), but it's a very good production. Graphic Audio has quite a few of Sanderson's books. Unfortunately, it's a bit pricey. I lucked out and got the complete set for the first Mistborn book for my birthday. Now I have to save up to get the rest :hits_self

FYI, this wouldn't be in audiobook form, but you can read the entirety of Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker on his website completely for free. It was an experiment on his part, to see if he could still make money by offering a whole book for free on his website. The experiment worked; it allows newcomers to get a taste of his writing, and...well, after reading it on his website, I promptly went out and bought a physical copy.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Sheenar » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:55 am

Thank you so much, wolf!!

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said the audiobooks were pricey. O.o But they look amazing.

And thank you for the tip about Warbreaker! I'll definitely check that out. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Return to Jam Session