Acoustic and finger calluses?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Acoustic and finger calluses?

Postby Koneko-chan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm

Heya, I'm going to start playing guitar, and I have no experience whatsoever XD. I hear that you need to build up calluses on your fingertips, but the process takes a while; is there anything I can do to build them up faster? Also if you have tips or anything, that'd be great. Thanks in advance! <3
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

You are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven. - The 11th Doctor
No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Total Grell fangirl. :3 <3
Koneko-chan

Re: Acoustic and finger calluses?

Postby shooraijin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Calluses, like any reactive tissue growth, take time and a bit of discomfort.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby drill » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:55 pm

I used to play guitar. It's not as bad as it seems, but shooraijin is right, it will take some time. Some tips would be to go through a list of songs you like and pick some of the easier songs to play because I know from experience that if you play something boring, you won't want to play guitar, but if you play something too hard, you will get frustrated quickly. If I were you this would mean starting with a song that didn't use any more than five chords, then build up from there.
drill

Postby Never thirsty! » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:15 pm

Keep practicing I've only been playing six months but I can play full b minor and I've gotten quite good at lead guitar but that's more of an electric type part of guitar. I'm no teacher but this is just my experience that has helped me to progress quickly if you can make the time practice for as much time in your day as possible break it up throughout the day if needed but at least half an hour twice a day but you may need to condition your fingers by only playing a little bit at a time so depending on where you are maybe start with ten or fifteen minutes once or twice a day and work up from there and don't make the mistake I made don't slide your ring finger up a half step to play a note you can play with your pinky it does two things that aren't good for you, no three things it makes your pinky weak, you won't have the speed you need when playing lead for heavier music and your pinky will not be equally conditioned with the rest of your fingers not a good situation at all because you will encounter a song where you can't slide fast enough so you'll have to use your pinky but your pinky will either be too slow or will give out too easily then you'll have to go back and recondition your pinky like you just started using it for lead last week. just remember practice and train all of your fingers equally lastly if you every play a show or something like that you are playing for an audience of one and if you wouldn't play a song in your set in His presence don't play it at all.
Never thirsty!

Return to Jam Session