Songs that lift you up when you are down and why

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Songs that lift you up when you are down and why

Postby Never thirsty! » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:18 am

I'd have to sag beautiful by mercyme because it reminds me that I'm worth more to God than anything else, forever reign by hilllsong because...do I need to explain it"You are good, You are good when there's nothing good in me... You are more, You are more than my words will ever say, that somewhat depressing song with the chorus "crucified and laid behind a stone You lived to die rejected and alone like a rose trampled on the ground and thought of me above all." because if someone is willing to die for me I'm worth a lot, born to do it tells me to stay strong by steven cooper and finally I am a stone by demon hunter same reason
Never thirsty!

Re: Songs that lift you up when you are down and why

Postby LastLfan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:27 am

Forgiven by skillet, something about this song just makes me break down in tears
LastLfan

Postby Sheenar » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:11 am

"Even If" by Kutless --God is faithful, He is good, and He walks with me through everything --and all that is true even if healing doesn't come this side of heaven.

"How Many Times" by Plumb --very heartfelt and honest --I can very much relate

And there are others, but I am drawing a blank right now.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Okami » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:17 am

"Alabaster" by Rend Collective Experiment - even in brokenness, still having the ability to praise God and be humble before Him.
Okami

Postby DecooPunk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:42 am

"Strangely Dim" by Francesca Battistelli Whenever I'm worried or stressed it's a great song to listen to.
DecooPunk

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:36 pm

"More than Useless" by Relient K, because these days when I feel down it's because I just feel useless, like I'm wasting all my time. But this song really just reminds me that I'm not the only person who's felt that way, and that God doesn't think I'm useless.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Never thirsty! » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:41 pm

sorry I didn't say this but secular songs are ok too like for me "whatever doesn't kill me" by finger eleven "Whatever doesn't kill me doesn't make me stronger, but I'm not gonna give up yet" it tells me press towardd the goal at all costs in my case those pearly gates that take you into the kingdom.
Never thirsty!

Postby drill » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:01 pm

MercyMe - You Are I Am: Reminds me on how great God is, and that no problem is too great for Him
drill

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:10 am

Easily Hold My Heart - Tenth Avenue North is the one I play the most when I'm down. Why? Because it usually conveys my emotions completely... it's completely honest... it's asking normal questions, doesn't offer an answer but gives ya hope to hold on to with the line, "So many questions without answers... your promises remain... I can't see but I'll take my chances to hear you call my name". So the whole song basically expresses questions and feelings and has that line as the punchline as you usually forget that when you're so down... so it's a nice pick me up... or a nice ray of light I should say.

Another good one I like a lot when I'm down is also by Tenth Avenue North, "Worn". Again, it's completely honest, doesn't give any cheesy advice or false hope... but just expresses deep feelings.

"Healing is another one. I know it seems I'm a big fan of Tenth but honestly it's just these 3 songs I really like. This one I tend to play when I'm in a better mood kind of on a upswing from feeling so low. I mean you still don't feel great but it's a nice boost.

Those are basically the ones I play over and over and over... when I get tired of one, I go back to the other. Or just play both back to back to back to back etc =P

Daylight by Brave Saint Saturn used to be the one I played to pick me up but I played that song to death and the TAN songs are nice change.... I still love Daylight a lot though for the same reasons as the first two songs. I like the imagery too...
Scarecrow

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:27 am

"Dead Come To Life" by Johnathan Thulin. It's just so beautiful, and a calming peace comes over, no matter the situation.
AnimeGirl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:22 pm

"Partita No. 2 - Chaconne" by J.S. Bach
This song got me through the darkest moments of my depression. It's a bit hard to explain exactly why, but this piece just reaches down into my soul and pulls out all the pain sitting there and brings it out for everyone to see in all its ugliness. And even though it starts out being mostly about the heart-wrenching pain, it somehow manages to draw everything to a calm, comforting conclusion. My favorite part is around 8:00-9:00, where it almost sounds like there are two voices talking back and forth. To me, it's like the voice of my depression, sure that nothing will ever be all right again...and the voice of hope, pointing out all the bright spots and encouraging the other voice that everything will turn out right eventually.

"Caroline" by Seventh Day Slumber
This is a special comfort song for me, because my real name is Carolyn ^_^ So this song always feels like he's singing comfort to me. It's a beautiful reminder that we can turn to the God who sees us in all our ugliness, and yet we're beautiful and precious in His eyes.

"You're My Little Girl" by Go Fish
This comfort song goes waaaaaaaay back, but ever since the first time I heard it, it's been an important one for me. I guess it's mostly applicable to girls - telling us that we're beautiful to our Heavenly Father. What always gets me is the second verse: "When you're looking in the mirror/ I hope you're liking what you see/ 'Cause no matter what you're feeling/ You're perfect to me...." :waah!: It's also important because it reminds me that I need to reach out to God in the hard times, and I know that He'll be there.

Other than that, hymns work really well for me, because they take my focus off myself and back onto what's important. Two hymns that never fail to bring tears to my eyes:

"Great Is Thy Faithfulness"
Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father
There is no shadow of turning with Thee
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be....

"In Christ Alone"
There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious day
Up from the grave he rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me!
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
Till He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand!
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Banana Lobster » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Every Storm Runs Out of Rain by Gary Allan, One Day You Will by Lady Antebellum, and Up! by Shania Twain. I just love them, they're beautiful and I love the message they carry.
Banana Lobster

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Seconding hymns. The ones that help me the most are:
Come Thou Fount - Prone to wander, Lord I feel it; prone to leave the God I love.
Just as I Am
I Surrender All
Till the Storm Passes By

Merciful God This song...Having a song pinpoint all my faults and failures so thoroughly is kind of painful, but knowing that through it all God is merciful.
My Sin is Ever Before Me
Calvary's Blood
Lord I Need You - Ron Hamilton (can't find it on Youtube *sniff*)
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:20 pm

All of meWithoutyou.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Ally-Ann » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:05 pm

"You Raise Me Up" by Secret Garden. Such an inspirational song and really gives me confidence.

When I'm by myself at night and I feel as if there's a heavy presence disturbing me, I quietly sing "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" by Martin Luther. It's an old, old hymn, and reminds me God is with me, that He triumphs over Satan, and that He is protecting me. Truly my favorite hymn alongside "Joyful, Joyful". :)
Ally-Ann

Postby PandaPop » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:57 am

Yuki-Anne wrote:"More than Useless" by Relient K, because these days when I feel down it's because I just feel useless, like I'm wasting all my time. But this song really just reminds me that I'm not the only person who's felt that way, and that God doesn't think I'm useless.

One of my favorites :n_n:

Jesus, Friend of sinners, by Casting Crowns. This song really humbles me and reminds me that I am no better than anyone else, we are all sinners who need a savior. It gets hard to deal with people sometimes and when I'm struggling with people I say the lyrics to this song in my head so that I will remember to love them in spite of their faults.
PandaPop

Postby rocklobster » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:25 am

"No Rain"--Blind Melon
This song has always gotten me to cheer up. Even without the cute girl in the bee outfit.
rocklobster

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:22 pm

"Good Directions" by Billy Currington and "Haven't Met You Yet" by Michael Buble are two songs that never fail to bring a smile to my face. I also get goosegumps and a kick out of Imagine Dragon's "Radioactive" even if the radio plays it too much. Just gets me pumped every time. Off topic, but the cock-fighting stuffed animal music video for that song isn't exactly what I expected.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby LastLfan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Welcome to the black parade by my chemical romance, anti-D by the wombats and fall around by smoke and jakal always leave me in a good mood
LastLfan

Return to Jam Session